Author Topic: digging in or bugging out  (Read 2258 times)

Offline pappa44

• Son of the SOUTH
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Sr. Member
  • TCB - FTW
Re: digging in or bugging out
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 05:35:09 AM »
Dig in is what we will do,their is nothing else.We live in down town _ _ _ _ _,Pinellas Co.Beaches (Gulf of Mexico) to our west and surrounded by Bridges on all sides.My wife and I too have Health issues.I will not go down stuck on US 19 with the multitude of Millions in PANIC.Like a Good Captain,I will Go Down with my Ship!We have No other Option.The Good is our house is in a No-Flood,Non-Evacuation Zone.So we are on High ground,Well high ground for Florida.

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2015, 08:09:31 AM »
EARLY retreat is an option. IF you could do that.
I do not envy that location. I'm in east Hillsborough. Still not great, but, the hoards will probably not come my way.

Offline pappa44

• Son of the SOUTH
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Sr. Member
  • TCB - FTW
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 06:17:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I do not envy that location. I'm in east Hillsborough. Still not great, but, the hoards will probably not come my way.

Yea,you have Malfunction Junction and all that intersects with it.You'll be ahead of me but still a Nightmare.Use to love city living,now want back to that farm in VA I grew up on and couldn't wait to leave.Garth Brooks said it best "One Of GODs Greatest Gifts is Unanswered Prayers". With age comes knowledge.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:38:08 AM by pappa44 »

Anthony

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 06:35:55 AM »
Uncle Fed is probably counting on you old geezers to clear out all the hooligans for him.

Then he can carpetbomb the area and make it a national park.

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 08:02:04 AM »

Yea,you have Malfunction Junction and all that intersects with it.You'll be ahead of me but still a Nightmare.Use to love city living,now want back to that farm in VA I grew up on and couldn't wait to leave.Garth Brooks said it best "One GODs Greatest Gifts is Unanswered Prayers". With age comes knowledge.
Farther east, Valrico. No worries with city traffic. Just Rt 60 traffic.

And, who you callin' geezer. You onlt wish you had what the geezers have in the brain trust. Been there, done that.

Anthony

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 09:09:16 AM »
Coastal cities are harder to evacuate because half of the directions are water - this can double the traffic on evacuation routes.

Hwy60 would be jammed to overflowing with vehicles.

(old geezer!)

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 01:31:45 PM »
I didn't say I'd use it. Or cross it.....
Young punks.....LOL

Anthony

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 04:31:41 PM »
You're just jealous because I'm so sexy I need a cattle prod to stave off love-maddened females.

It's the "overflow" you have to be prepared for.

Anthony

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 09:31:24 PM »
Dig in is what we will do,their is nothing else.We live in down town _ _ _ _ _,Pinellas Co.Beaches (Gulf of Mexico) to our west and surrounded by Bridges on all sides.My wife and I too have Health issues.I will not go down stuck on US 19 with the multitude of Millions in PANIC.Like a Good Captain,I will Go Down with my Ship!We have No other Option.The Good is our house is in a No-Flood,Non-Evacuation Zone.So we are on High ground,Well high ground for Florida.

Actually it might be better than you think.

I'm guessing at your location but it has some advantages.  Bridges are easily controlled by a few armed men with barricades, leaving most of the police free to keep order - if the area isn't a major evacuation route (those are the high risk areas).

You have beaches nearby and can surf cast - big fish not puny bass, and you can boil down salt from seawater to preserve meat.

Water?  Areas like yours are usually notorious for many and often large swimming pools.  Rig your roof to collect rainwater.

Stock up on rice and catch fish.  Fortify your home and you may well ride it out better than most.

Offline Capt Nat

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Apollo Beach Tampa Bay
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2015, 09:37:25 AM »
I think most of us are actually trying to plan for EVERYTHING.

Hunkering down and bugging in under many different situations considering security and sustainability.

Bugging out by vehicle in all 4 directions.  Short distance and Long distance.  In all kinds of circumstances.

Bugging out on foot in all 4 directions.  Short and long distance.  In all kinds of circumstances.

And even bugging out by canoe or kayak. 

No matter what happens we want to be prepared to deal with it.  Preps will make the difference in all cases.  Skills are power.  We should  try to learn how to ride a bicycle, a horse, paddle a canoe or kayak, swim, build a fire or shelter, drive a stick shift, operate an outboard, handle a motorcycle, an ATV, navigate,  hunt, fish, grow a garden, etc, etc, etc.

Prepping is so much fun because we can never run out of things to learn and experience.

Most of the folks here, I haven't met but I have met quite a few and can tell you, there are people here with great things to teach.  I try not to miss any meet%greets because I always get to take away invaluable info and ideas.

There's no requirements to meet, we all get to prep to whatever level we are capable of.  Having spent the last months in a wheel chair, prepping was on a whole different level but I was still looking for ways to prepare for the unexpected.  Even during the month I spent in the hospital, I started hoarding and hiding stuff to give me an edge.  Sometimes a nurse or therapist would find my cache and wipe me out but I would just try to get smarter at it.  Maybe it's just my mindset but I love prepping and feel great having a pack of crackers hidden away somewhere. 

I'm starting to walk again now, so I'm longingly looking forward to a wooded area from my window.  Everytime I hide some supplies under the bed, I'm delighted all over again. 

Anthony

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2015, 02:18:34 PM »
When the lights go out and the faucet stops, sunset will no longer be pretty, tomorrow will be a drag, and next week will be a nightmare.

All the motivation I need.

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2015, 11:52:06 AM »

Pappa, one of the scenarios that I've thought of that would make me bug out is the (admittedly remote) asteroid impact.  If a medium-sized asteroid were spotted, and its trajectory had it making impact in the Gulf of Mexico, you should bug out as soon as possible.  In the past year there have been a couple of asteroids that were only spotted AFTER they passed earth, or with very little warning.

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2015, 01:55:42 PM »
I think most people not in the downtown cities are pretty much going to be bugging in... im thinking the sheeply will pretty much like in Katrina die in their homes unless their homes were unoccupiable.. Eg under water... we are digging in and will be getting the neighborhood to try and stand our ground to hte best of my ability.... i dont wont my family to become refugees unless their is NO other option period... it has to be a last resort fundamentaly last... florida for us and most others has only one way out North right along with the other millions n millions of other refugees.. staying put until the die off happens and than when the dust settles deal with the situation as necessary...

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2015, 02:13:09 PM »
I think most people not in the downtown cities are pretty much going to be bugging in... im thinking the sheeply will pretty much like in Katrina die in their homes unless their homes were unoccupiable.. Eg under water... we are digging in and will be getting the neighborhood to try and stand our ground to hte best of my ability.... i dont wont my family to become refugees unless their is NO other option period... it has to be a last resort fundamentaly last... florida for us and most others has only one way out North right along with the other millions n millions of other refugees.. staying put until the die off happens and than when the dust settles deal with the situation as necessary...

I agree 100%.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks