Currently:
  • National Blackout Possibility 5 1

Author Topic: National Blackout Possibility  (Read 4497 times)

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
  • Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
National Blackout Possibility
« on: March 18, 2014, 08:59:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Great.  Just great.... :-\

Offline Kaji

• Wakulla County
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
Re: National Blackout Possibility
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 09:30:04 AM »
Can't read it except for.

The U.S. could suffer a coast-to-coast blackout if saboteurs knocked out just nine of the country's 55,000 electric-transmission substations on a scorching summer day, according to a previously unreported federal analysis.

The study by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission concluded that coordinated attacks in each of the nation's three separate electric systems could cause the entire power network to collapse, people familiar...

Could you post the whole article?

Sentry

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »
Why do they bother reporting this stuff? It's well known news.

Offline Sgt. Prepper

• The One and Only Billy Shears
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 10:56:16 AM »

The U.S. could suffer a coast-to-coast blackout if saboteurs knocked out just nine of the country's 55,000 electric-transmission substations on a scorching summer day, according to a previously unreported federal analysis.

The study by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission concluded that coordinated attacks in each of the nation's three separate electric systems could cause the entire power network to collapse, people familiar...

Try this one Kaji.

Offline Kaji

• Wakulla County
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 11:16:43 AM »

Try this one Kaji.
Thanks. I've been slowly dropping hints and trying to make my family think about things. I got my sister to admit that if the power goes out for a long period there is no way for us to cook except for a minuscule chance of finding my bro in laws camp stove that isn't filled up and I believe in a self storage unit. Or using a grill that we have no  charcoal and some very green wood for.

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 04:38:32 PM »
Yep or they could destroy hoover dam and knock out most of the west electricity. also cause major  flooding and a rebuild disater.

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
  • Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:46:37 AM »
Time to start buying solar panels and deep-cycle batteries...

Offline Willbkool

• NW Florida
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 02:34:41 PM »
Solar panels are as cheap as they have ever been, so it is a good time to buy them. A good battery to buy is the 6 volt golf cart kind. They are built to charge/discharge many times. Don't skimp on the charge controller, don't buy a cheap $30 chinese one, get a Moringstar or better. And buy a pure sine wave inverter, the modified sine wave ones will run lights, but they will cause motors to run hot.

Offline patriot

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Full Member
  • only dead fish go with the flow
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 12:33:43 PM »
hell,2004 the wife and i rode out 2 hurricanes in a month.were with out power or a generator for almost a month.by the time they got it turned back on we were kinda getting used to it

Offline Sgt. Prepper

• The One and Only Billy Shears
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 03:25:03 PM »
hell,2004 the wife and i rode out 2 hurricanes in a month.were with out power or a generator for almost a month.by the time they got it turned back on we were kinda getting used to it

Did the same thing in 04 with Hurricane Ivan.  Only two weeks but we kind of enjoyed it.

Offline Papaswamp

• Survivalist Jr. Member
  • St. Johns Co.
    • Papa's Place
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 07:54:11 AM »
Seems to be regular occurrence, though no actual large scale shut down of systems.

The recent big event was Russia's penetration of US Oil and Gas companies.

The effort seemed to be not only at the grid, but the fuel/gas powering the electriciy producers. Certainly a multi pronged attack at both the grip itself and the raw material to supply it could have long reaching impact. The weakest link in US is the supply chain. Trucks, trains and pipelines stop running and the panic could be substantial, though I feel it would have to last longer than a few days to cause collapse.

Offline Stephen

• Survivalist Sr. Member
  • West Volusia County
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 09:47:04 AM »
Solar panels are as cheap as they have ever been, so it is a good time to buy them. A good battery to buy is the 6 volt golf cart kind. They are built to charge/discharge many times. Don't skimp on the charge controller, don't buy a cheap $30 chinese one, get a Moringstar or better. And buy a pure sine wave inverter, the modified sine wave ones will run lights, but they will cause motors to run hot.
Good advice for those wanting a PV (Photo-Voltaic) system. I had a nice system set up that ran the ceiling fans and my ham radio station. When my wife lived out west, they lived completely off-grid. I have a cousin who has a chest freezer and his water supply completely on solar power (he lives here in Florida also). With all those success stories, I have still decided not to set up the system again (we had to take it down when we added on to the house). I have all the panels, a couple of charge controllers and inverters, and a battery monitor (a must-have), yet they will probably remain in storage. The reason? Batteries are a major weak link in the system. Even with the best of care, they have a limited life-span, and they probably won't be available after things fall apart. And before you ask - No, a PV system will not work without batteries as a buffer. Been there, done that. The power fluctuates wildly and any good quality charge controller or inverter will shut down once the input voltage gets out of spec. There has to be a battery bank in the system to act as a buffer. Batteries are there for TWO purposes - storage for night and when the sun isn't shining and when a temporary load exceeds the panel output, AND to act as a buffer to even out the power going into the inverter.

I might decide to try it again some time just for the fun of it (when the addition was built, it was built specifically for a PV system with roof mounted panels), but it would not be a major part of my prep planning. My thinking at this point is that I would rather focus on how things will work with no electricity rather than just prolong things with a very limited use of electricity until the batteries die. I have generators and fuel to give me a very short term bridge to get there (and to use power tools while there is fuel available). That's just my thinking and it may not fit your situation; however, I hope you'll consider the possibility. It's a matter of setting priorities.

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 09:50:48 AM »
The weakest link in US is the supply chain. Trucks, trains and pipelines stop running and the panic could be substantial, though I feel it would have to last longer than a few days to cause collapse.

good point here swamp iv read a study done by the national trucker association on the same point.. they said if the supply chain was down for more than a week you would start to see great panic in the population as the stores couldnt resupply, gas stations would start to run out of gas on and on... people at the most have about 4 days of food in their pantry's not gourmet stuff but eatable and at least something so within a week panic and problems will be very noticeable....

Offline Papaswamp

• Survivalist Jr. Member
  • St. Johns Co.
    • Papa's Place
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 08:01:21 AM »
Agreed...fuel will be the big event. The rate of US consumption per day is staggering 18.8 Million barrels per day.  Prevention of those deliveries would cause quite an issue. Govt most likely would seize control and divert fuel to necessary only. Even if delivery trucks can make it to the store, the ability of people getting to the store would be the problem, much less deliveries of medications etc.. This is all speculation of course, who knows what will happen.

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 10:44:27 AM »
Agreed...fuel will be the big event. The rate of US consumption per day is staggering 18.8 Million barrels per day.  Prevention of those deliveries would cause quite an issue. Govt most likely would seize control and divert fuel to necessary only. Even if delivery trucks can make it to the store, the ability of people getting to the store would be the problem, much less deliveries of medications etc.. This is all speculation of course, who knows what will happen.
It will start with fuel, but, WATER will turn out to be gold.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks