Currently:
  • National Blackout Possibility 5 1

Author Topic: National Blackout Possibility  (Read 4494 times)

Offline Stephen

• Survivalist Sr. Member
  • West Volusia County
Re: National Blackout Possibility
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2014, 09:43:20 AM »
Do you have a source for dry batteries where the acid is added when you're ready to use it? I know that tractor batteries used to be sold that way, but from what I've seen, they haven't been sold that way for decades. Something about shipping regulations made it impractical, if I recall correctly.

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2014, 10:59:28 AM »
There is a battery only place that caters to fleet trucks that has told me they can order them that way, but I haven't spent the cash yet

Offline Stephen

• Survivalist Sr. Member
  • West Volusia County
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2014, 11:11:42 AM »
Do you know if they have the deep cycle batteries that way, or just truck batteries? My guess is that I'll just need to hunt around and see if I can stumble across a place that sells them that way. Since I've already got all the panels, inverter, charge controller, and monitor, I suppose I ought to go ahead and get it set up. I've even got a port through the roof made just for the wire from the roof-mount panels.

I wish my "stuff to do" list wasn't so long already.

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2014, 11:21:21 AM »
Not sure about deep cycle.  I know I use one of our heavy duty truck batteries that comes from there with my trolling motor and is runs it as long and as well as a walmart "deep cycle" battery did.

Offline Papaswamp

• Survivalist Jr. Member
  • St. Johns Co.
    • Papa's Place
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 07:59:06 AM »
Sealed deep cycle battery should last 5-10 yrs depending on usage, climate etc..

There was a good discussion on a solar forum a few years ago.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Basically, there are a huge number of factors involved.

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
  • Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 10:46:30 AM »
I also go for the low tech approach. I've tried using solar (PV system), but after using it for years, it became obvious that it is not a long-term solution. Such a system requires battery replacement ever few years, no matter what. If replacement batteries are available, then it's a pretty safe bet that utility power is too. Now, there is certainly nothing wrong with having a nice PV system. It will make the transition smoother. However, if you're betting on that for the long term - or any high tech system for the long term - then you may be making a very serious mistake. My technological "bridge" is just a generator. I'll use fuel while I have it, and then that's the end of it. I'm prepared for the day the generator stops running as well as the day the utility power stops.

Keep in mind that life without electricity is really not that big a deal - IF YOU'RE PREPARED FOR IT. We (America in the 21st Century) are not. Much of the world still exists without electricity. My father had no electricity on the farm where he grew up. They only got it after he returned home from college. They did quite well because they were set up for it; they adapted to the circumstances; their world was built around living without electricity. What is going to kill people is the fact that, in order to survive, they must shift from total dependence on electricity for everything, to a world where none is available - and that has to happen in a matter of days. Those who have no "bridge" system to get them from here to there will simply not survive. It will be difficult for everyone. For most of those those in urban areas, it will be impossible.

Two words.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

While it is certainly possible to live without electricity, it does help...

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2014, 09:27:14 AM »
While the grid might be repaired within in hours and days for most, as many as 10 million could face
prolonged life without electricity. It could be literally months – and possibly even years – before the power is restored. Are you even remotely prepared for that kind of event? The government is admittedly NOT prepared and has no way to feasibly take care of that many people during a mass disruption event:...........
  December 17 2014- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hmmmm still waiting for something... ;)
       It would be a tough situation, made worse with our current American Government administration...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:02:14 AM by ~ D »

Offline Stephen

• Survivalist Sr. Member
  • West Volusia County
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2014, 10:09:33 AM »
While the grid might be repaired within in hours and days for most, as many as 10 million could face electricity. It could be literally months – and possibly even years – before the power is restored.
  December 17 2014- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When they say "could be literally months - and possibly years..." they are being wildly optimistic. That might be true if you're just talking about making repairs - when everything else continues uninterrupted. This is a case where the "tools" needed to do the repairs are the same "tools" that need to be repaired. Our civilization has reached the state of complexity where a major one (we could probably survive a minor one) would literally be a civilization-killer. We're talking a new Dark Age that spans generations. That is why I believe it is extremely important that people assemble libraries of the books containing the information that would be needed to eventually restore some level of civilization. Not all of those private libraries will survive, but some will. That will make all the difference.

Anthony

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2015, 12:21:43 PM »
Greetings all.

I once saw a photo of a generator a man converted to run on hydrogen.  He ran it with hydrogen produced by water electrolysis.  How he got the DC for electrolysis wasn't explained, however a PV panel could be used (or electric windmill etc).  No batteries required (pun).

The ancient Persians produced the first DC with "vitriol" poured into metal containers.  Of course you'd need a renewable source of acid (vitriol).

Perhaps the best source of electricity is steam power - which would make the generator unnecessary.  However low tech boilers are not easy to build and can be deadly if they get their feelings hurt.

In the 1930s there was an astounding steam powered automobile that ran at 60mph and took 90 seconds to get up steam.  This large heavy vehicle was driven by what looked like two mufflers under the floor (one for each wheel) and appear very low tech.
The secret was that the car used a kerosene fired flash boiler with a coil inside an insulated tank under the hood.  Flash boilers are less prone to hurt feelings (oooh I'm on a pun roll today).  However kerosene is required, but hydrogen could probably be used.
Wood dust (as volatile as gasoline) could be used but that wouldn't be low tech.

If you put an oxyacetylene flame to a piece of plaster of paris it makes a brilliant light.
This is the basis of the "limelight" which aims a mix of hydrogen and oxygen flame onto a small piece of slaked lime.

The first limelight (Drummond Light) was a spotlight for surveying that could cast shadows at a range of 13 miles.

A blackout would have one positive side - it would finally eradicate the braineating fungus known as "TV".  That would be a massive boon to the human race.   

Anthony

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2015, 01:53:54 PM »
you can make a solar still that will separate salt from water making distilled water... but distilled water is only for an extream emergency it shouldn't be consumed all the time not good to the digestive system among other things....

May I ask why distilled water isn't good for the digestive system?

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2015, 02:09:29 PM »
There are tons of essential minerals and stuff that water has in micro amounts.  I have understood that distilled water doesn't have these and therefore is not as good as natural water.  Maybe this is why?

Anthony

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2015, 02:14:39 PM »
In my crazed youth I went Jeremiah Johnson for a time and squatted in some forest land.

I built a little cabin and fixed some scrounged gutter to the roof.  I then piped it to a 3x7 hole I dug and lined with some heavy bisqueen, with a plywood cover over it.  A good downpour would fill it.  I didn't wash much and smelled like Bigfoot's granny, but I always had drinking water.  It tasted good and never gave me the runs.

Didn't even need a gun - all I had to do was walk around and stunned squirrels would drop from the trees.

In Bermuda cisterns for roof runoff are a regular fixture.

Anthony

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2015, 02:21:14 PM »
There are tons of essential minerals and stuff that water has in micro amounts.  I have understood that distilled water doesn't have these and therefore is not as good as natural water.  Maybe this is why?

Thanks - a pinch from a cattle licking block would remedy that.  Darn things weigh 50lbs but are cheap and last forever.

Demineralized water won't conduct electricity - so you couldn't use it for electrolysis.

Offline Stephen

• Survivalist Sr. Member
  • West Volusia County
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2015, 04:51:59 PM »
Cisterns are greatly under-appreciated. The fort in St. Augustine was supplied by water from a cistern. There is a restored home at Blue Springs State Park in Orange City that has a cistern on a tower that collects water from the roof of the two story house, and provides pressurized water. I have a friend who was a missionary in Central America years ago - the natives there would keep minnows in the cistern to keep the bugs out (I think we can come up with a better plan than that...).

Anthony

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2015, 06:02:39 PM »
Cisterns are greatly under-appreciated. The fort in St. Augustine was supplied by water from a cistern. There is a restored home at Blue Springs State Park in Orange City that has a cistern on a tower that collects water from the roof of the two story house, and provides pressurized water. I have a friend who was a missionary in Central America years ago - the natives there would keep minnows in the cistern to keep the bugs out (I think we can come up with a better plan than that...).
Thanks Stephen.

I have a fondness for ShelterLogic canopies and keep my beloved cowboy cadillac under one.

Over the years I have learned that if I don't take care setting them up, the canopies will accumulate an ENORMOUS amount of rainwater in great bulging bellies sufficient to break  the steel support frame.

A large tarp spread on level ground, with the edges staked up say a foot, would catch hundreds of gallons of rainwater.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks