Currently:
  • Carry at home 5 3

Author Topic: Carry at home  (Read 4061 times)

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
Carry at home
« on: April 06, 2014, 08:46:55 PM »
I have been discussing with some friends a rash of home invasion robberies south of us in some of the ritzy gated communities of Naples.    It made me wonder how often we are unprepared at home.  I know I keep a pistol by my chair, but what if I go for a drink of water?  use the potty?
So I mentioned this idea at work today, (we all concealed carry for the most part) and to my surprise I was told that a coworker shot and killed an intruder about 10 days ago.
In his case the bad guy was an ex to my coworker's girlfriend.  I guess he went there to fight or something, but he kicked in the front door and charged in to the apartment.   And my coworker shot him.   I don't know any real details outside of what the news said about it.  I haven't spoke to the guy yet about it.

But the coincidence is weighing on me.  It isn't just the the robberies are going on, but even someone I see at work has had to deal with a home invasion, and lucky for him he was ready.

So how close do you guys keep your firearms?  When you are raking the yard are you also packing?
How much concern is healthy, and when does it go over the line?   

I am just working through these thoughts more than asking specific questions.  I would enjoy hearing you guy's take on it.

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
Re: Carry at home
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 10:45:03 PM »
Had a gun on me last year cleaning up the yard and glad I did cause I killed a baby rattler with no rattles. I keep one close enough most of the time. Unless I'm in a area that says no weapons than I cant or I may.. go to jail. But doing yard work like you asked, I say what's wrong with that.. all manner of critters and bad folks around.

Offline SwampYankee85

• Orlando outskirts
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Carrying the fire
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 12:57:51 AM »
Your home is where you feel the most comfort naturally. Comfort breeds complacency,  and in accordance with that you shouldn't allow paranoia into play. I think in our realm of play "paranoia" meets many definitions but, if there is an issue in your area you should weigh things out. Is someone watching and waiting for you to take that break in order for the opportune moment to strike?

A firearm certainly isn't the solve all but it most definitely is an end all. The utilization of it will determine what is accepted to be appropriate both in carry and use. Really,  it's a case by case type of thing.

Offline Kaji

• Wakulla County
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 10:34:26 AM »
At my Mom's house I keep my 9mm on top of the fridge, but unless someone is in the kitchen when something happens it's too far away. Unfortunately that is the terms I have to follow to keep it out of the safe and have a chance of it being useful( of course I always have a knife but we know the knife/gunfight saying). Now when I stay at my Grandparents I'm armed it's literally in the Apalachicola Forest and the True Florida is outside my window. As for being paranoid I accept that I'm paranoid and believe it's my purpose to make other people paranoid as well.  :D

Offline Sgt. Prepper

• The One and Only Billy Shears
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 11:36:58 AM »
I carry all of the time ... at home or otherwise.  When I'm in bed I have more than one in easy reach!

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 11:05:19 PM »
Sometimes my battle hounds will start barking while I'm in the shower and my mind starts racing. I'm not exactly in the best condition to be meeting visitors.  If those visitors are home invaders or other zombies, that would be a very bad situation.  I don't typically have a weapon with me in the shower.  Not good.

I have thought about stashing some defensive weapons in strategic locations around the house.  The bathroom will be one of tbose locations.

Offline -> Bear

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 11:21:22 PM »
EX! I've been saying that! Have thought about those ceramic kitchen knives.
And keeping a car alarm near. So if they get in you can hit the button and either scare them or alert folks. And have the gun stashed close by in the bathroom. I would like to have a pistol even if I've no choice and am Naked. 

Offline kalos72

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 08:33:24 AM »
Ex naked?  /shivers

:)

Car alarm idea is pretty smart though...

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 06:18:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ex naked?  /shivers

:)

Car alarm idea is pretty smart though...

Hey, no concealed carry permit needed.  Nowhere to conceal!  Err... at least I HOPE not...  :-[

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 06:43:18 PM »
At Walmart for about $10 they have a 5 pack of magnetic "window alarms".  Battery powered of course.

I often thought that one of them by the chair would be great.  Tie a string to one end and mount the other end to furniture.  If you hear something pull apart.  Instant loud alarm.

Offline SwampYankee85

• Orlando outskirts
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Carrying the fire
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 12:27:24 AM »
Sometimes my battle hounds will start barking while I'm in the shower and my mind starts racing. I'm not exactly in the best condition to be meeting visitors.  If those visitors are home invaders or other zombies, that would be a very bad situation.  I don't typically have a weapon with me in the shower.  Not good.

I have thought about stashing some defensive weapons in strategic locations around the house.  The bathroom will be one of tbose locations.
when I lived in an apartment in town I kept a pistol in the bathroom for that reason Ex.

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 11:58:02 AM »
i keep the paranoid factor down by trying to keep track of events going around the neighborhood and handle the home weapon situation accordingly...

im trying to figure out a way to keep something( hand gun) in the front room/living room without the wife giving me a hard time...  I always do keep a pocket knife (defensive one) on me (in pocket) while walking around the house.. so i have at least something for up close and personal...

Offline CowboyFL

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Full Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »
A family member commented on the fact that I was carrying a pistol on my waist at home. She stated that I must be really paranoid to think that I had to have a weapon on me in my own home.

I ask her when the appointment was. She replied what appointment. I said the appointment for the bad guy to come in and rape kill and steal. She at first laughed and then sat there and a look of shock came across her face. She said I guess you just never know when the bad guy is going to show up. I smiled and poured another cup of coffee.

You never know. Most believe that it will happen in the wee hours of the night. More and more home invasions are taking place in daylight and it doesn't matter who is at home. The home invaders are increasing in numbers from one or two to three to five.

Anti Home Invasion Devices include the following: Dog, camera's in plain view, alert neighbors, improved door locks including reinforced steel casings and improved contact and jar alarms.  Alarms systems that will protect and alarm when the remote windows and doors less used are breached. A whisper pre alarm system. Area Alarms along with pressure plates again with whisper pre alarms. One of my favorites are the grinder rotation fake cam's that can be purchased for around $12.00 and use a single AA battery. Nothing like the bad guy hearing the cam swipe and see the blinking red light to get his attention. Again the Path Of Least Resistance Theory.

I have weapons in safe locations through my home, garage, yard shed and any place I can locate a weapon. All difficult or near impossible for the bad guys or my grandkids to obtain. There are a variety of commercial hides that will work.

Bumbury keeping track of the events going around the neighborhood might be a bit lite but anything helps except thinking that a knife is going to be good for anything except a knife being included in the process of documenting items included prior to zipping up the body bad.

myaka to pull a string will just start the timer for the bad guys. They already know how long it takes for the cops to arrive. Most folks have found that when neighbors are confronted by armed bad guys they tend to show up at your place a lot slower if at all. Shooting till the bad guy or guys is dead works the very best.....

Offline -> Bear

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 07:25:04 PM »
Well i spent some time in Tampa, at some areas. And i felt under dressed. Felt i was lacking a BP vest. Looked like a nice area/ place... Even a "safe" hotel felt unsafe. I keep security options open. And I rarely want a BP vest. ....

Offline -> Bear

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 07:38:52 PM »
Some 290$ and up, up, way up..
The price I seen was about $333.50

Anyone know of a better price?? Or where to look??
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:43:12 PM by D2 »

Tags:

Social Bookmarks