Author Topic: Prepping class  (Read 1343 times)

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
Prepping class
« on: April 13, 2014, 08:36:31 PM »
Today I had a chance to give a beginning prepping class in Orlando.   I invited the students to join the site so they could benefit from the wisdom of you guys too.

My own critique of how it went:   I had 2 hours, and was excited to share so much information that I actually went over.  In hind sight I should have been more careful not to repeat myself, and maybe trimmed a little of the information.  This would have made the class more enjoyable by not dragging, and would have left more room for future classes.

I did make a power-point which kept me focused and orderly, but I found some repetition.

Key points that I feel any beginners should consider:
Prep in stages, Prep in Layers.   
This means start by getting 3 days worth of basic supplies-  (Basics cover air, water, food, shelter, security)
then work on 3 weeks, 3 months etc.
As you get to the 3 months stage, start prepping in layers-   (Layers is having more than one option for each item.)
For food, have dried goods, but also learn canning, dehydrating, foraging, gardening, etc.  Do this for each basic

As you mature in prepping, try to move your investment into skill based prepping and away from simply "buying" your preps.

Skill beats stuff.   You can be separated from your stuff, but you will always have your skill with you.

Bush-craft skills are great, and certainly worthy of study for layering your preps, but when in a real situation, focus on the easiest path.
If you know how to start fire with a bow drill, that's great.  But if you have a lighter, in a real situation, use it.  The time you save can be used for other stuff.

And lastly, firearms are a great tool.  But they are a tool.  They improve your odds against some survival threats.  But, not all.  Owning a firearm by itself does not mean you are impervious to threats.  Training to use it, preparing yourself mentally, and having other security measures are the difference between it saving you, and it being taken and used against you.

I think those are the main "concepts" I covered.   We also compared a lot of gear.  Water filtration for specific use, items for a B.O.B. for specific uses, etc.

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
Re: Prepping class
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:44:56 AM »
nice start Myakka... i tried to offer y services last year in Sept to our church as it was national prepardness month but got a no but thanks.. `So im going to try again this year.. I was going to add a bibical side to the session as it was a church thing too.. well i was planning on it being a church thing anyways... 

So im wondering did you advertise, get invited, or just set up the class based on interest on people you know.... im using the myneighborhood web site and got a good amount of people started in our neighboorhood using it so im getting ready to try and set up a prepardness and emergency responce class for our neighborhood...

that being said i do like your format as it leaves lots of room for open discussion with the class and introduces people to the more advanced aspects of prepping with out scaring them off.. i do think i will rearange my format to run along the lines you'v established as mine wasn'nt flowing as smoothly as the one you have set up... it seems i was trying to cram to much information into one secession.... now i can scale back/trim the amount of information and concentrait on the starting and basics..

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 02:30:51 PM »
I had a chance to do a foraging class with my teacher, and during it one of the students made some comments that were openings to discuss general prepping sentiments,  "this is good to know in case food is scarce, etc)

Another student approached me and we started talking.  She is affiliated with a Holistic Living school (lots of herbal medicine, stuff like that).   She asked about my background.  Once I explained my emergency response/ disaster relief job and history, she asked if I would be interested in doing a presentation.

It seemed like serendipity to me, since I have been looking for a school to study herbal healing with.

If you are interested, pm me and I will send you the power-point I made.  Maybe you can change a few slides and make it useful for you.

Offline Sgt. Prepper

• The One and Only Billy Shears
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 07:50:58 PM »
Myakka, would it be possible for you to download your Power-point presentation to the download section for all of us?  I understand if it's a personal presentation that you don't want disseminated though.

Sounds like you did a good job.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:53:03 PM by Sgt. Prepper »

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 07:58:53 PM »
I will.  I looked through it, and some of it wouldn't make sense without my explanation so I will go through and add that.  What I will do is add slides in between the ones I used, and I will title them "Spoken"   

Any slide that says that was me talking, not what I put up. 

Give me a bit to make those.   

And I don't care if anyone uses this, or changes it to fit their needs.  Heck, if you add or take off, let me know.  I will be teaching this again, and together we can tweak it and make it better.

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 08:59:29 PM »
Okay,  I added the power-point to the downloads section

MyakkasPowerpoint   under the miscellaneous section.

I hope you guys like it.  :)

Offline Sgt. Prepper

• The One and Only Billy Shears
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Okay,  I added the power-point to the downloads section

MyakkasPowerpoint   under the miscellaneous section.

I hope you guys like it.  :)
Thanks Myakka!

Offline Saints75

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 09:07:53 PM »
Myakka- I think the powerpoint program is a great idea and then to share it with the rest of us is even greater. If a few of us that enjoy doing these type of classes can do a couple sessions with neighbors, coworkers, or our churches just think how many more people we will be "teaching to take care of themselves and possibly not be breaking into our homes for food/supplies. Also it can save alot of lives....

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 09:15:43 PM »
I did take out the first slide in my copy.  It seemed redundant.   I also took out the slide of Canterbury's 10 C's, since I have a handout, and felt like explaining it on the slide was one of the things that made us run over on time.

Glad you guys are going to use it.

I am working on a few other classes, but they aren't ready to publish yet.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks