Currently:
  • Old dog, new trick 4 1

Author Topic: Old dog, new trick  (Read 603 times)

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
Old dog, new trick
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:46:52 PM »
I may be stubborn and hard headed, but I do learn eventually..........

I have always used forward grips on firearms, and my crossbow.  It seemed comfortable.

First Goose told me to put my forward hand on the magazine of my rifle, which pulled it in closer. 
Then I saw youtubes of Olympic shooters making a tight frame with their front elbow braced on their hip

Finally I took part in an Wounded Warrior hunting trip, and 2 very high end "special" type of soldiers both showed me the same way of holding my firearm........

So today I tried it............... with my crossbow.     I won't go too far into bragging, but it will get expensive hitting only bullseyes and having bolts strike each other crowding into the center of the target.......     

Maybe the real shooters on here ( especially Goose since he told me this already LOL) but maybe you guys are saying "Well Duh!"
But I wanted to mention this for the guys like me, who grew up hunting, but never had the opportunity for formal instruction.

I would encourage anyone who has not tried this stance to check it out.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:49:32 PM by myakka »

Sentry

Re: Old dog, new trick
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 10:24:44 PM »
New and interesting...

Offline Alas Babylon

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Narcoossee (Just south of Orlando)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 08:01:13 AM »
I also switched to holding my AR at the magazine. I feel its a better method for me, for both shooting stability and mag changes.

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 06:58:26 AM »
 I Heard of it and it felt wrong. I just do what i can .. ::ad
   If i can i brace though...  ::fa  Simple but steady. & I was a Army gunner long ago. But I will keep it in mind an try again.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:01:27 AM by D2 »

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 09:05:22 AM »
I don't think it is perfect for every situation, but it is best for some.  Crossbows really are perfect for this.  I am working on it with long guns to see how it fits.

I think sometimes we feel awkward with something because it is different, and not because it isn't "good", so you need to invest a little experiment time to get past the "new" feeling, then decide which you like best.   

I know for crossbow, I like the early results.   I am scary accurate this way.

Offline SwampYankee85

• Orlando outskirts
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Carrying the fire
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 05:01:49 PM »
I mentioned these to the guys in training today and everybody got to feel it out to see if they were comfortable with it. It went over well. Never thought about doing it with a crossbow. Makes sense.

Offline shutzendu

• Making do with what I got...
  • Survivalist Jr. Member
  • Mountain man without the mountains
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 01:50:40 PM »
I used a similar stance to win an airgun shoot in Syracuse N.Y. with a "springer" RWS model 48. All the other guys were shooting recoilless pre-charged guns.......

The winners plaque had the names of winners for the previous 8 years or so. All the names were the same every year....except that year 8)

The stance works by supporting the weapon with bone support, not muscle. If you tuck your support arm in tight to your chest, you have an additional point of contact and a studied rest for the rifle. It works very well. Watch any match shot with rifles...the winners always use this hold.

Offline Tropheus

• Survivalist Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 07:48:53 AM »
I have heard of this before too and never understood it. I normally fire marine style using the sling and wrapping it around my wrist with the loop around my bicep as Appleseed and old USMC teachers teach. Magazines wiggle. I don't think I have even held a weapon whose magazine was solid and tight in the well. I would think that wiggle would impact the usage.

And another thing, I think Olympic shooters need to use guns that actually look like guns and not a part that would fit on the space station.

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 11:03:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have heard of this before too and never understood it. I normally fire marine style using the sling and wrapping it around my wrist with the loop around my bicep as Appleseed and old USMC teachers teach. Magazines wiggle. I don't think I have even held a weapon whose magazine was solid and tight in the well. I would think that wiggle would impact the usage.

And another thing, I think Olympic shooters need to use guns that actually look like guns and not a part that would fit on the space station.

I use the same stance most of the time with the sling it was the way i was taught... very stable for me..  i do like the mag well stance too iv tried it at the range several times and it felt really nice as i was able to make minor adjustments with the barrel with minimun movements.. its an easy stance to sweep with and adjust to the vertical also.. i hold the mag well as opposed to the actual magazine the majority of the hold is at the mag well and  bit on the magazine...

Tags:

Social Bookmarks