Author Topic: Peace River Bugout 2014  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Capt Nat

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Apollo Beach Tampa Bay
Re: Peace River Bugout 2014
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 07:09:08 PM »
If the three of us can have this much fun, I can't imagine how much fun a large group of us would have...

What you wanna bet Mr. Myakka tells me the wrong weekend?

He and Mr. Swamp had me laughing the whole trip, even when I had both feet in my grave and my butt on a banana peel.

Anyone that can make this trip should because it's a great education even when you think you are just having fun...

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 09:42:02 AM »
On a serious note, I have a piece of information and lesson learned............

I have a large "bag" style water filter like Capt. Nat's.    For some reason on the trip it was leaking.  This was pretty frustrating in a "survival" consideration since the unfiltered water was streaming down through the threads and dribbling along with the filtered.

I was unable to make a good fix in the field, but it almost seemed that the O-ring was a micro fraction too small.   Now I have used it multiple times and it worked fine, so I was a little stumped.   

My fix was to take plumbers tape and wrap the filter before putting the O-ring on it.  This made the O-ring fit just a little tighter, and seems to have fixed it well.

I carry a small pouch of water line, cleaning sponge etc, that goes with the water filter.  Now, included in this is a roll of plumbers tape.    This will also be important in case the O-ring is lost or damaged during cleaning.....

Offline CowboyFL

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Full Member
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 11:27:01 AM »
Capt Nat, I just went back and revised the pics. I notice that your boat is bending in the middle and setting a lot lower in the water.  This is by design I suspect.  Is the water higher or lower in the winter months and just how much portage or walking did you guys have to do to get back to deeper water. Can I take my airboat? No problem with low water but loud as hell and not good for looking at hooters. But I could carry a lot of stuff. OK maybe not the airboat but I need a bigger boat than Capt Nat for sure. A much bigger boat.  I think he could use a bigger boat too.

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 11:31:19 AM »
The water was at it's lowest of the year.  When at it's peak most of those places we were walking can run from 11 to 16 feet deep. 

The peaks are not great for kayaking either way.   When it is low, you walk a lot (which I never minded too much)  When it is high the river is fast, dark, and dangerous with hidden hazards.   Dislodged trees and debri roll beneath the surface, and can ruin your day.  People have drowned, and it is usually when the river is in flood stage.

BUT............   most of the year it is safe, and, silent and serene (except for the airboats LOL)

Offline CowboyFL

• Political Prepper
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2014, 12:14:21 PM »
I see it all now. Fast, deep, dark, drown, I love it.

I'm in!

Did Capt Nat have to get his boat fixed. Looks to me as if he broke it?

Offline FLPrepper

• Survivalist Pro
  • Daytona Beach
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 01:36:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
On a serious note, I have a piece of information and lesson learned............

I have a large "bag" style water filter like Capt. Nat's.    For some reason on the trip it was leaking.  This was pretty frustrating in a "survival" consideration since the unfiltered water was streaming down through the threads and dribbling along with the filtered.

I was unable to make a good fix in the field, but it almost seemed that the O-ring was a micro fraction too small.   Now I have used it multiple times and it worked fine, so I was a little stumped.   

My fix was to take plumbers tape and wrap the filter before putting the O-ring on it.  This made the O-ring fit just a little tighter, and seems to have fixed it well.

I carry a small pouch of water line, cleaning sponge etc, that goes with the water filter.  Now, included in this is a roll of plumbers tape.    This will also be important in case the O-ring is lost or damaged during cleaning.....

FYI, you should be able to take the filter or O-ring to Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace. They should be able to match them to ones in the plumbing section. I bought a package to 10 for a project I am working on for about $2. Put them in a little ziplock bag and add them to your kit. O-rings can wear out or dry out over time.

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2014, 01:43:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice.   I had considered contacting Katadyn about getting some, but this sounds better.   I will also have to order a couple spare filters, but once I have them, I want to experiment with some generic ones to see if I can convert them to this system too.

I always layer my protection anyway.  So I filter the water, but I also usually treat it with chlorine or iodine or boiling.   That way I am doubly protected.

Offline Capt Nat

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Apollo Beach Tampa Bay
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2014, 03:54:44 PM »
My Kayak wasn't broke, just begging for mercy.  It has a design rating of 350 pounds.  Weighing in at 285, I'm sure I exceeded that with all the stuff I packed in it.  It did perform amazingly well for what it was hauling and I'm amazed at how much I could pack into it.  The hull is hollow, and I stuffed it full.

Next time I may take my canoe which has a 500 pound rating.  The Kayak sure was fun though and extremely maneuverable...

Offline CowboyFL

• Political Prepper
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 04:17:33 PM »
Capt Nat, you need some weight forward to counter balance the load on that canoe?  My Father used  a canoe to take me down rapids on several streams in the mountains of Arkansas when I was 10.

His only instruction on some really hairy rapids was son don't put your paddle in the water unless I yell.

He was a experienced outdoorsman and thank goodness he never yelled. 

We spent many fun times fishing and hunting out of a canoe.

I hope to make a winter float with you all.  Any fish in those waters?  Would a fly pole work?

I might bring a couple of young friends to help me get out of trouble, just might loan them to you if get in over your head. 

Lately I always get in over my head. I usually by mistake and as an after thought, think that the body works like it did twenty years ago and oops it don't.

Offline Capt Nat

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Apollo Beach Tampa Bay
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 09:53:03 PM »
We saw lots of fish.  I would have thought too many trees for fly rod but once we got started, I could see lots of room for slinging a fly.

My poor wife, The Admiral, has regular heart burn over me thinking that I am still young and capable beyond my means.  End product is that my body hurts a lot but I'm just not ready to act my age yet.

Mr. Myakka describes the river as deep and roiling with current in the winter.  That will be a whole new animal for me and something I've not experienced.

Mr. Myakka is a pro at this stuff and does it quite often so I am more than ready to trust his advice on the trips that I sure hope we do this winter...

He has a bow fishing rig that is just too cool but I would love to try some flies next time.  The water was clean enough that any fish caught ought to be good eating.

Social Bookmarks