Currently:
  • Florida Survivalist Calling Channels 5 1

Author Topic: Florida Survivalist Calling Channels  (Read 3407 times)

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
  • Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
Re: Florida Survivalist Calling Channels
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 02:45:19 PM »
This board has 1284 members currently.  That works out to just under 20 per county.  If you figure most of the board members are inactive, there might be 2 or 3 per county with frs/gmrs and/or dual-band HTs who might be willing to join in the effort. 

Brevard County is 72 miles long.  You can't cover even cover the county with a couple of HTs - even with repeaters.  And you can't count on repeaters when the SHTF.  It's just not viable as a statewide comm network.

Dual bands are great for TACTICAL comms.  But UHF/VHF is just line-of-sight. A handheld HT is going to max out it's realistic range at around 7 miles in ideal conditions.  That's very useful for communications within your immediate group.

If you want the ability to communicate statewide or further, then HF rigs are what you need.  There are car-mounted mobile rigs and even setups that people backpack with. 

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 09:22:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Why not keep it simple... Lets try to link up some how, some time and start seeing about getting messages across or up and down the state. Boards? Procedures?
Lets just do it and work it out from there.  :D

Preferably simplex..... Cause that would be the expected method....
OK Sentry, maybe I got carried away.  ::)

Let's try it on the 2m band, using dual band HTs.  The national calling frequency on that is 146.52 Mhz.  So let's do that this coming Sunday at noon.  Simplex.  See if anyone makes contact and how far it goes.

Does that work for you? 

Is there some way to bring this to the attention of as many board members as possible?  The greater the participation, the better...

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 10:42:33 AM »
Chimming in. My truck CB here is got some chatter and its dead a lot of the time. Can't even raise a trucker at times. And I don't know why or understand. But I'm willing to say mine is short range at best. And no one likes to yak with me here. And if shtf I'm back to square one!
   My wifes not full blown on board yet and I will likely get through a short period of time. And then its prey. Cb ain't going to help me here. Just the good info I'm learnin' ........

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 11:06:25 AM »
Chimming in. My truck CB here is got some chatter and its dead a lot of the time. Can't even raise a trucker at times. And I don't know why or understand. But I'm willing to say mine is short range at best. And no one likes to yak with me here. And if shtf I'm back to square one!
   My wifes not full blown on board yet and I will likely get through a short period of time. And then its prey. Cb ain't going to help me here. Just the good info I'm learnin' ........

It's not like there's hundreds of people on the 2m band either.  Or the 70cm.  Or even the 10m.  Or FRS.  And that lack of other traffic on CB channels seems to suggest that those would be open to you and your group in a SHTF scenario.  And you have those empty channels to practice on NOW so you'll be ready LATER - not trying to figure it out on the fly in an emergency situation.

CB can be a good, viable emergency communications method.  Like 2m/70cm/FRS/GMRS, it's a short range comm.  But that has it's advantages - easily workable by your family/friends/"Mutual Assistance/Group" and it's far less likely to be eavesdropped on by "Big Brother" (if that's a concern for you) because of it's limited range.  A good, tactical solution.  The radios are fairly cheap and plentiful. 

Personally, I'd like to see all preppers get into ham radio.  $15 and about 20 minutes of your time taking a 35-question test gets you a "Technician" license.  That let's you use the 2m & 70 cm bands without the power & antenna restrictions of FRS.   And you can also pick up an easy to use Baofeng UV-5R dual-band "Handi-Talkie" for about $35 on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Even with just a "tech" license, you can still pick up an HF rig and use voice in a section of the 10m band.  And CW (morse code), RTTY (Radio TeleTYpe) & data (computer files) on multiple bands.   In a real emergency situation, ALL license restrictions are waived and you are allowed to use any means necessary on any frequency. 

But don't let me browbeat you out of your preferred communications medium.  Take what your CB and find a way to make it work.  Even if you pick up a Ham rig (handheld, mobile, or even a base station), it's always good to have a backup, a "Plan B" just in case...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:18:28 AM by Wrenchbender »

Sentry

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 11:08:28 AM »
Why not keep it simple... Lets try to link up some how, some time and start seeing about getting messages across or up and down the state. Boards? Procedures?
Lets just do it and work it out from there.  :D

Preferably simplex..... Cause that would be the expected method....
OK Sentry, maybe I got carried away.  ::)

Let's try it on the 2m band, using dual band HTs.  The national calling frequency on that is 146.52 Mhz.  So let's do that this coming Sunday at noon.  Simplex.  See if anyone makes contact and how far it goes.

Does that work for you? 

Is there some way to bring this to the attention of as many board members as possible?  The greater the participation, the better...

I get frustrated easily sometimes...

I should probably be able to do it noon, I need to locate the freq for the simplex net that is going though, I do believe its on Sundays at 8P... If I can find it, Ill pass it on to you... Those guys do it for this reason.

Sentry

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 11:19:19 AM »

It's not like there's hundreds of people on the 2m band either.  Or the 70cm.  Or even the 10m.  Or FRS.  And that lack of other traffic on CB channels seems to suggest that those would be open to you and your group in a SHTF scenario.  And you have those empty channels to practice on NOW so you'll be ready LATER - not trying to figure it out on the fly in an emergency situation.

But CB can be a good, viable emergency communications method.  Like 2m/70cm/FRS/GMRS, it's a short range comm.  But that has it's advantages - easily workable by your family/friends/"Mutual Assistance/Group" and it's far less likely to be eavesdropped on by "Big Brother" (if that's a concern for you) because of it's limited range.  A good, tactical solution.  The radios are fairly cheap and plentiful. 

Personally, I'd like to see all preppers get into ham radio.  $15 and about 20 minutes of your time taking a 35-question test gets you a "Technician" license.  That let's you use the 2m & 70 cm bands without the power & antenna restrictions of FRS.   And you can also pick up an easy to use Baofeng UV-5R dual-band "Handi-Talkie" for about $35 on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

But don't let me browbeat you out of your preferred communications medium.  Take what your CB and find a way to make it work.  Even if you pick up a Ham rig (handheld, mobile, or even a base station), it's always good to have a backup, a "Plan B" just in case...

I recently picked up a Baofeng UV5R V2 off of Amazon. Waiting to receive it, though a friend picked up a couple of them. Working on getting him his license.

Whats the wattage on the UV 3? I'm suspecting lower than the 5...

As far as CB goes ~ D, its a close second for comm's. But as with any radio, its all about the antenna. Linear amps help as well to get more power behind the signal...

HAM just has so many more options as far as frequency. If you can get a general license, you can literally speak around the world, as well as receive world wide communications. You are wise to attempt to have all forms of comm's available to you. Options, Options, Options

FRS
GRMS
CB
MURS
HAM

No matter what Forests, mountains, Cities, atmospheric conditions and Elevation or your antenna are factors... If you are standing on a mountain using an FRS radio, you might get 7 or 25 miles out of it. If you are talking to someone a top of another mountain. Line of sight in general.... If you can see it, you can talk to it. UHF,VHF,HF all bounce through the atmosphere...

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 11:22:14 AM »
I get frustrated easily sometimes...

I should probably be able to do it noon, I need to locate the freq for the simplex net that is going though, I do believe its on Sundays at 8P... If I can find it, Ill pass it on to you... Those guys do it for this reason.

There's already a "net" for this board?

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 11:29:03 AM »
Whats the wattage on the UV 3? I'm suspecting lower than the 5...
A UV-3R is still 5 watts.

The real difference is that a UV-5R has a number pad, so that you can directly tune to a new frequency.  A UV-3R you have to just keep twisting the top knob until you get to the desired frequency.  Unless you pre-programmed it.

As both models are virtually the same price on amazon, it's better to go with the 5R since it's more "user-friendly."  But performance-wise, I don't think that there's a perceivable difference between the two radios.

The only reason I have a UV-3R is because a friend gave it to me when he upgraded to a UV-5R. 

Offline -> Bear

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
Thx wrench. And where do you apply for the licence? And is there a store to get one of them 35 dollar radios?

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 09:36:12 AM »
Go toYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to find a local radio club in your area that's administerining the tests. You can study up for the technician test with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  And there's plenty of practice tests online.

You can find the Baofeng UV-5R at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for $29.99 and up.  They also have the higher quality Yaesu, Icom, and Kenwood HTs as well, if you have extra money to throw around...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:35:51 PM by Wrenchbender »

Sentry

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 04:45:56 PM »
Since the beofengs are cheap you might as well get the newest one. Uv5r v2
$36

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 06:46:54 PM »
There's minor differences in the firmware (which CANNOT be updated) and the cases, but I really don't know if it makes any one model better than another.  Maybe some actual UV-5R owners can enlighten us.

I do know that there is an extended battery for the UV-5R which does NOT fit every variation (due to the minor differences in the shapes).  You can even buy them with the extended battery already installed.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:00:48 PM by Wrenchbender »

Sentry

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 09:28:17 PM »
Got my V2 in today.... Tiny!

I picked one up trying to make it so I can get these guys over here ham licensed... Low cost radios to learn from. So far it seems to be working well.

One surprise I had was the antenna connection. Not the same as the antennas I have already... The beofeng uses male sma as apposed to female sma.

Learning curve...

Offline -> Bear

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 10:10:59 PM »
thanks Wrench

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 10:46:12 AM »
Just wanted to remind anyone who is interested that we are attempting an initial 2-meter "net" today at noon. 

Are you still with me, Sentry?

Time: TODAY, August 3rd at 12:00 noon, Florida local time
Frequency: 146.520 MHz, SIMPLEX
Net call: "Foxtrot Sierra" for the Florida Survival Board

So, I guess we're going to attempt contact by calling, "Foxtrot Sierra, Foxtrot Sierra, KA0XTT."  (BTW, that's a fake callsign) and wait for a response.

I'm charging up my Baofeng right now.  I will be sending from in my truck - it has a better antenna than the "rubber-duck" that came with my UV-3R.

Here's hoping that we all hear from each other...  :D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:50:26 AM by Wrenchbender »

Tags:

Social Bookmarks