Currently:
  • Ebola Field Report from folks who are there 4 1

Author Topic: Ebola Field Report from folks who are there  (Read 3985 times)

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
Re: Ebola Field Report from folks who are there
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2014, 10:09:12 PM »
I have added your friend to my churches prayer list. I never been to Africa, but I don't think I would want to. I can only beg the lord Jesus this is contained very soon. But his ways we may never understand. The 21 day incubation period I heard might be longer in some, an causes many other issues.
  In your opinion if someone gets ebola an has .... Aids, or the flu, maybe some stomach bug. How would this effect the virus Ebola?  Could it help change or create a "new" strains?

Offline Stephen

• Survivalist Sr. Member
  • West Volusia County
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2014, 10:27:35 PM »
I'm afraid that I have nothing to base that on other than what I've read, so this is nothing more than my opinion: I doubt that it would have any effect on it. This is a virus that replicates by asexual reproduction - one cell simply splits into two cells. There is no interaction (cross breeding) with any other virus or other cell that I've ever heard of. The only thing I could think of where it might affect things is if something were in the body - either from another disease or something being used to treat that disease - that increased the mutation rate and where the mutations might have a better survival rate than unmutated cells, then that COULD affect things. My guess is that it would be only a theoretical difference though. In other words - "No, that would have no effect on the Ebola virus".

That makes for nice movie and sci-fi book plots, but it doesn't stand up to reason from what I understand. That kind of crossing might be possible in a lab - similar to gene splicing - but I am not aware of that being successfully done on a virus.

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2014, 10:46:33 PM »
stephen thanks for the update... sorry to hear about your friends predicment... hopefully the good lord will bring them thru this intact... as i pray the same for us all..

Offline Stephen

• Survivalist Sr. Member
  • West Volusia County
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2014, 08:49:46 AM »
Just got word this morning that it might not be Ebola. Awaiting further tests there, but hopefully the guy in their village just has malaria or something else. Thanks for prayer - it works!

Offline Stephen

• Survivalist Sr. Member
  • West Volusia County
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2014, 08:48:38 PM »
Unfortunately, it was not malaria. Testing confirmed that it IS Ebola. Situation does not look good, but it could be worse.

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2014, 10:25:06 PM »
in our prayers stephen.. keep us abreast of the situation.....

Offline Stephen

• Survivalist Sr. Member
  • West Volusia County
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2014, 08:07:24 PM »
Diagnosis confirmed - he definitely had Ebola. I say "had" because now he's dead. Three houses now under quarantine, one adult son took off into the hills to avoid quarantine and hasn't been seen since, nurse who treated him left for the city - exact destination unknown, Medical Officer remains in the city so the clinic (the only medical facility in the area) is now unmanned, when they called the Ebola ambulance, it finally arrived the next day, people still believe that Ebola was started by the government to kill off the opposition (not smart enough to figure out that this thing is an equal opportunity killer). On and on it goes. Anyone who thinks this is going to be stopped in Africa or even slowed down is delusional. What happened here is what is just a small picture of what is happening everywhere in Africa that Ebola has planted its tentacles. Our missionary is still planning to stay - spiritual doors are opening that have never been opened before and he is certain that this is where God wants him right now. Things are always subject to change, but that's where we are right now.

By the way, I still hold to my belief that the threat of Ebola in America is rather small. I'm growing a bit more concerned, but I've read and observed enough to believe that while this deserves close attention and vigilance, and it is a good motivator for reviewing your preps, that's about the extent of it for most folks. I'm confident that there will be more cases here - perhaps many more cases - but short of some other major complication, fears of a pandemic of Ebola are completely unwarranted. I am far more worried about economic problem than I am Ebola problems.

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2014, 10:54:24 PM »
that was quick... i thought he wasn't tested but a week ago and than retested just a couple of days ago or am i confused... maybe so.. either way I'm sorry to hear about his passing... also we'll be praying for your last man standing...

i do agree with you about the EV stuff i do believe we have the potential to contain this BUT considering the Ebola is thinking about sending EV patients from Africa to the US for treatment its almost like he's trying to increase the contaignation.... so I'm pretty confident we can contain it but only time will tell to many variables still unknown... so shoring up the supplies an bio hazard stuff is the goal for now and keeping an eye on things.... Also as you say the economy is now a differant story just like the 08 crash the market was artificially up just like now.... this one is going to be bad...

Offline Stephen

• Survivalist Sr. Member
  • West Volusia County
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2014, 11:06:02 PM »
Probably a couple of factors going on here: 1) He was well into the symptoms stage when he got to town, so no telling just how far along the disease was, and 2) there is always the issue of communications - and this is probably the biggest factor since we got conflicting on this one. The missionary is trying to stay away from exposure as much as possible, so he is now having to rely more heavily on reports from others. By the time those reports get filtered through cultural differences and language differences, the final report can get pretty twisted from the original.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks