Author Topic: EMP article  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Kaji

• Wakulla County
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
Re: EMP article
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 12:49:52 PM »
The Capt Express?

Offline Stephen

• Survivalist Sr. Member
  • West Volusia County
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 01:42:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm not holding my breath for a solar flare. The cycle is almost done now. Now emp? Yip
Within 2 years.
Sad thing, you'll never get to tell me I was right. Unless we start our own message service ;D
The thing about a Carrington Event vs a man-made EMP attack is that a Carrington Event has happened before; it has happened again but missed the Earth; the probability that it will happen again over some period of time is virtually 100%. An EMP attack is, at this point, a theoretical event. I'm confident that EMP will be used in the next wide-scale super power war. It's just a matter of which one gets us first. That is why my focus is not on maintaining current technology, but on older technology.

Sentry

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 04:05:02 PM »
1894 (I think) carrington event. First discovery. Burned down telegraph stations.
1984 canada shut down half the country

I forget date, emp wiped out Hawaii (first discovery) nuke testing

Offline Alas Babylon

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Narcoossee (Just south of Orlando)
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 03:59:41 PM »
Just saw this one:

The Sun Could’ve Destroyed Civilization Two Years Ago

Read more: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Being Irish, I have an innate hatred of the sun. That’s why I spend all my time online. But now it turns out the fiery bastard wants to take that away from me.

NASA Science News:

If an asteroid big enough to knock modern civilization back to the 18th century appeared out of deep space and buzzed the Earth-Moon system, the near-miss would be instant worldwide headline news.

Two years ago, Earth experienced a close shave just as perilous, but most newspapers didn’t mention it. The “impactor” was an extreme solar storm, the most powerful in as much as 150+ years…

Extreme solar storms pose a threat to all forms of high-technology. They begin with an explosion–a “solar flare”—in the magnetic canopy of a sunspot. X-rays and extreme UV radiation reach Earth at light speed, ionizing the upper layers of our atmosphere; side-effects of this “solar EMP” include radio blackouts and GPS navigation errors. Minutes to hours later, the energetic particles arrive. Moving only slightly slower than light itself, electrons and protons accelerated by the blast can electrify satellites and damage their electronics. Then come the CMEs, billion-ton clouds of magnetized plasma that take a day or more to cross the Sun-Earth divide. Analysts believe that a direct hit by an extreme CME such as the one that missed Earth in July 2012 could cause widespread power blackouts, disabling everything that plugs into a wall socket. Most people wouldn’t even be able to flush their toilet because urban water supplies largely rely on electric pumps…

According to a study by the National Academy of Sciences, the total economic impact could exceed $2 trillion or 20 times greater than the costs of a Hurricane Katrina. Multi-ton transformers damaged by such a storm might take years to repair.

I blame George Bush.

That sounds like a really bad time. It would be kind of like that show Revolution, except you’d have no choice but to notice it.

Just imagine the impact on our everyday modern life… Dead cellphones! No e-mail! No Netflix! No BuzzFeed listicles! No tweeting about global warming! Also, society suddenly collapsing into roving bands of cannibalistic savages. But whatever.

Thanks for cutting us a break, Sol. This time

Read more: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 05:21:08 PM »
it would be mad kayos immediately when the lights didn't come back on within 3 days.... it would make that show revolution look like Mr Robinsons Neighborhood....

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 10:35:45 PM »
did a thread elsewhere on emp an e bomb .. yes E Bomb. A "HMP"
Link 1 for learnin'  good stuff. Maybe Russia has something like this or china.

Offline hiking4life

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Sr. Member
  • Not all those who wander are lost..
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 10:54:54 PM »
Although I would enjoy the lack of technology, the chaos and death wouldn't be worth it. Its scary how quickly this great nation can become disabled. Also how vulnerable we truly are for us to be a super-power. To think of what would be brought down upon us from other countries after an EMP is a very scary thing to think about as well. Although I feel this is our biggest threat, I pray it never happens.

I do have my laptop stored in a bag that is supposed to protect it from EMP. Hopefully it works lol. :-\

Offline siege571

• Pasty-white Scot-Irish girl
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Ready for the Zombie Apocalypse
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 08:43:45 AM »
"Being Irish, I have an innate hatred of the sun. That’s why I spend all my time online. But now it turns out the fiery bastard wants to take that away from me."

heh heh

Offline Kaji

• Wakulla County
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 09:19:19 AM »
Ok I have a question that I'm  not sure if anybody can answer. UTP is unshielded twisted pair it is the most common cabling used in small networks, STP is shielded twisted pair for high EMI areas. How is STP made shielded and can it be applied to other electronics?

Offline hiking4life

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Sr. Member
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 09:35:56 AM »
Ok I have a question that I'm  not sure if anybody can answer. UTP is unshielded twisted pair it is the most common cabling used in small networks, STP is shielded twisted pair for high EMI areas. How is STP made shielded and can it be applied to other electronics?

Each pair of wiring is covered with an additional wrapping of foil or a copper braided jacket which helps protect it against RF and EMI.

Not sure if this type of shielding can be used on other cables. I would imagine so but it's probably dependent on the metals of the wires etc.

Offline Kaji

• Wakulla County
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 09:39:55 AM »
So in essence the cable is wrapped in its own Faraday Cage? Just wondering since I've never had to use STP before and the article seemed like a good place to ask.

Offline Stephen

• Survivalist Sr. Member
  • West Volusia County
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 09:43:35 AM »
I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in any conventional shielding on wire to stop EMP. That is designed to shield against things like electric motor noise and the sorts of RFI that is typically found in a building. The levels in an EMP, whether natural or man-made, are orders of magnitude larger than that. I doubt that conventional shielded wire would provide any protection.

Offline Kaji

• Wakulla County
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 09:45:16 AM »
I know but it is a starting place to come up with an idea. Every big discovery had an apple, just ask Newton.

Offline hiking4life

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Sr. Member
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 09:51:12 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Same concept but it won't protect against EMP :) STP is used for businesses for the most part due to the amount obstacles you have to face that can cause serious frequency issues when running wires.

There's a write up of creating a faraday cage out of a steel 30gallon trashcan. It's down near the bottom of the post. Not a huge fan of survival mom but I thought this was a neat idea.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:53:40 AM by hiking4life »

Offline Kaji

• Wakulla County
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2014, 11:30:20 AM »
Thanks he only pictures I could see were diagrams this really helps.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks