Author Topic: Buying a Backpack: Military Bags vs Civilian Hiking Backpacks  (Read 2783 times)

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
Re: Buying a Backpack: Military Bags vs Civilian Hiking Backpacks
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 06:21:31 PM »
I will be wearing a hospital gown (open in the back) and trailing "Quarantine/ hazmat" tape stuck to one foot.

Sentry

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 06:43:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I will be wearing a hospital gown (open in the back) and trailing "Quarantine/ hazmat" tape stuck to one foot.

Oh yeah baby show that tail, that way all the pervs chase you and not me...

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 07:05:56 PM »
I forgot to mention the big fake skin lesions and hacking cough.   

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 08:19:21 PM »
That would probably work. Noone would come near you. I heard somewhere a plan to mimic a homeless person....

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 08:26:11 PM »
Gonna order signs from the CDC to put around the house....  "Infectious disease quarantine area- do not approach"   That plus some quarantine flagging.......   maybe a skeleton in a hazmat suit (with a tear in it) to drape dramatically across the front step

Offline delta69alpha

• Survivalist Pro
  • Making the PAW prepper safe
    • PAW productions
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 06:42:38 AM »
Something to think about..

Using a military pack for a temporary bug out situation or even a get home bag definitely has its benefits. One of the things that concerns me the most about them is that they attract attention..Sometimes not in a good way either.

I used to carry one as a day pack on trails and I would get all kinds of comments about "oh you look prepared.." "I know who to find if I need something."

Sounds silly but this can put you in a tricky situation if not careful.

I prefer day packs, They allow you to be more gray man IMO. For long term SHTF I will take my military bag, but for my 72hr BoB I just use a 35l day pack.

not one question to me on my keltyfalcon while humpingit along the FT.

i see plenty of alice packs...and other "military" gear on the trails though.
camo is common even in school bags.

how you carry yourself is what will raise flags shtf..a pack is a pack
"whats homey got in there.." is the key thought process not " oh look he's got a multicam tactical tailor three day ruck he must be ready for shtf..lets attack him.."

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 02:17:46 PM »
i think if your really interested in looking inconspicious carry a guitar shoulder case... nobody will even notice a duffas dumb enough to carry a guitar when shtf.. but on the interm i do have both types of cases military and civilian hicking packs depending on the situation like a ghb is military and my bob is but the family has regular hikeing bags so i can go either way... If your a lone wolf looking like you have stuff no matter how bad ass you look a group of people semi armed with half a brain could ambush you.... but the reality is in the long term the only people left will be the wolves so it wont matter what you look like i think you will need the gear that will last...

Sentry

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 04:07:54 PM »

Thats actually pretty good. Unless you travel through crazy town, then you might have followers... We may as call you Twitter then...  ;)

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 01:05:05 AM »
Something to think about..

Using a military pack for a temporary bug out situation or even a get home bag definitely has its benefits. One of the things that concerns me the most about them is that they attract attention..Sometimes not in a good way either.

I used to carry one as a day pack on trails and I would get all kinds of comments about "oh you look prepared.." "I know who to find if I need something."

Sounds silly but this can put you in a tricky situation if not careful.

I prefer day packs, They allow you to be more gray man IMO. For long term SHTF I will take my military bag, but for my 72hr BoB I just use a 35l day pack.

not one question to me on my keltyfalcon while humpingit along the FT.

i see plenty of alice packs...and other "military" gear on the trails though.
camo is common even in school bags.

how you carry yourself is what will raise flags shtf..a pack is a pack
"whats homey got in there.." is the key thought process not " oh look he's got a multicam tactical tailor three day ruck he must be ready for shtf..lets attack him.."

I think that's true.  The way you act and move through an area will attract more attention than what you carry.  I still contend that the first three days you'll likely be able to travel without incident... in most areas.  Of course there are certain areas now that I wouldn't walk through, with a pack or without!

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 07:11:24 AM »
Expendable,  I think you are totally correct.  There are places that will "take a while" to become dangerous and there are places even cops are afraid to go into now.....................

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 09:10:42 AM »
Expendable,  I think you are totally correct.  There are places that will "take a while" to become dangerous and there are places even cops are afraid to go into now.....................

both are correct here... i do believe after the 3 day mark its going to be the sheeple panic day...  even when Wilma blew thru here it was pretty much a jovial experience until around the 2nd night going into the 3 day people started to get a little stressed/panicky you could feel it and hear it in there voices when we were hanging out talking at our make shift coffee stand in front of the house...  long term saying about a week or so without any facilities or services and no hope i believe no matter what you carry you present yourself as a possible target for any desperate person or vigilante looking for targets of opportunity... this being in a normal suburbia reaction from normal people... things will be differant in those neighborhoods where even right now under normal conditions cops or normal people wont go into.... but eventually those people will be wondering out of their hell holes either on foot or however and bringing their troubles to other neighborhoods..

Offline 5pointstar

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 12:11:44 AM »
Been hunting some of the surplus stores and scored some nice bags. Picked up two USMC Assault packs ($35 a piece) and a Tactical Tailor Malice pack ($70). The Malice pack had some stitching failure but Tactical Tailor has a lifetime warranty so sent it back to them and just received it back like brand new, zero out of pocket they picked up shipping.

Offline Chris Burchfield

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 08:06:10 AM »
I'm throwing into myakka's thought, who plans on being seen!  I have two of the large Alice packs.  Off the internet complete with frames for $21ea. plus shipping.  They both had little if any wear.  Both had a name spray painted.  I've not even bothered to paint them out.  I have 26 miles to go when I start.  Wife is on board with the logical aspects.  She has also been nursing for 25 years and knows meds and built up a substantial supply.  The doc she has worked for has been real good about making her diagnose symptoms and treat various needs over the years.  Youngest son is also on board and is in much better shape than I am.  When you deer hunt the idea is not to be seen.  Son and I have and can take deer when we want them.  The biggest two needs for the first year we have in place are water and shelter.  Back off and not seen from the road.  The entrance to the 23 acres is overgrown and does not look used.  I also have several large cedar logs up the hill from the entrance to be rolled into place   making it less enticing to enter.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks