Author Topic: Grey "Hump Bags" discussions  (Read 1407 times)

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
Grey "Hump Bags" discussions
« on: December 16, 2014, 06:25:02 PM »
Looking at the options and things.
 A Alice pack, in the city during crises is a target.
  Some say messenger bag is the way for city.
 Some say dont go with a super large camo hunting bag. A sore thumb, an target.
    Lookin at options I dont want a camel back bladder system.
 Oh an Mollie straps with "stuff" hooked is a target.

So much online remarks about not this bag. Whats Grey enough to not attract any attention but good enough for the duty, cheap, high dollar ideas, 
  (Personally I dislike reflectors on bags, shoes, an clothes) what do you know of that is "good, solid, reliable, an Grey."

All thoughts and opinions..

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
Re: Grey "Hump Bags" discussions
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 06:49:43 PM »
In my opinion, there is no grey after a collapse.  Anyone out moving around will be assessed.   The bad survivors will be wondering if you are worth more to them as a friend or as a victim.  So for my money, the bad is less important than the manner in which you carry it. 

Are you walking down main street laughing and waving to friends?   Or are you out in the still hours moving a little and then listening a lot?  How stealthy can you be?  And why are you out there anyway?

Selco had a lot of good insights in his writings about his experiences.   I got more ideas about the dangers of being seen than I did any thoughts on camo bags being worse than non-camo.  And he lived it.

I will be curious to hear other opinions on this, but for me, I carry the bags that feel good on my back and get the job done, and worry about patterns less because I will hope you never see me at all.

Offline 5pointstar

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:24:09 AM »
Myakka - I totally agree, I had been weighing those exact pros and cons. I went with the USMC 3 day assault pack cause I don't think I want carry any more weight than that can, it's well made, and feels good when worn. Who is Selco?

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 05:03:30 PM »
If I have to run, it will be with my Molle Rifleman's pack. Note; I would only do this if my rear end was on fire. And, I'm not going into any "urban" areas.
If I have time, I will be dragging my game cart, not carrying anything except personal protection.

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 05:23:01 PM »
Selco is a survivor of one of the big SHTF events, like Bosnia.  I don't honestly remember which.  But he lived in a collapsed, besieged city for a very long time, like 9 months during the worst.   

He wrote about how people worked out barter for essentials, and how opportunists would try to follow you home from the swap meet.

It was both terrifying and illuminating.  I am looking for his website/ writings for another friend.  When I can find it I will link it too.

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 06:15:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Most of what I have read by him has been reposted by others on sites I was on.

This is his site.  So I don't know if it is something he is making money on, or subscription based.

What I did read of his story and insights was good.

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
I remember him. Ended up burning furniture and door moldings for heat...Tough stuff. You are right, makes you really think.

Offline -> Bear

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 09:23:26 PM »
My idea was more of a ec/ghb type. Something you may take on a bus, in a mall. An if something happens then you got something to get out to a second location...

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 04:06:36 PM »
Don't think this is a, one size fits all thing. Everyone will have there own idea.

Offline SwampYankee85

• Orlando outskirts
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Carrying the fire
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 07:32:31 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Don't think this is a, one size fits all thing. Everyone will have there own idea.

^ I think this is the best way to go about it. ^

Also agree with myakka. If it gets to the point where you are moving around and relying on a pack then it won't really matter how grey it is. Of course there's circumstances where low key will be a preference but other times the exact opposite might be. Posturing has been discussed before and it works the same way as this pack discussion IMO. Everyone is gonna be a little bit different.

Offline -> Bear

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 11:34:21 AM »
If you are caught in a situation where looting and other forms of lawlessness is breaking out (remember Katrina), the last thing you want to do is stand out from the crowd.

It’s at those times that you want to be the Gray Man and fade into the background.

If your Get-Home Bag screams “tactical” or looks like you’re carrying a load of preps, you could be a target. For that reason, the main thing you want to ensure is that the bag is discreet. 
If you’re female, you’ve already got it made. A purse is discreet but also the larger handbags are often seen being carried by women so not only do they blend in well but they can carry a bunch of stuff.

For you guys, a simple messenger bag works wonders. Especially in the cities, messenger bags are seen being carried by guys more and more so they blend in real well.

If you can’t deal with the Man Purses, go for a standard back pack.   
Seen this somewhere online. .
    20, or a 30L bag from Wal-Mart? One in the hiking section is what im thinking, cost is around 30$ or under... I like to keep options open...

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 11:38:43 AM by ~ D »

Offline Capt Nat

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Apollo Beach Tampa Bay
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 06:57:21 PM »
Hiking attire is about as neutral as you can look and still be functional ready...

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 07:28:41 PM »
I don't know Nat.....   This "hiking" look of yours is suspect in my opinion.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline -> Bear

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 08:31:49 PM »
Myakka that you!? If so dressing like that in SOME German areas you wont draw too much attention. Anywhere else I think imo, You might or get beat. I wouldn't wear that or the kilt (a second time).

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 08:49:13 PM »
Well, many would stay clear of the Crazies....

Tags:

Social Bookmarks