Currently:
  • CB net 1 1

Author Topic: CB net  (Read 1265 times)

Anthony

CB net
« on: January 13, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »
To develop a comm system for my scenario I settled on CB for reasons of cost and legal hassle.

While looking at CB base stations I read reviews claiming reception of 50-60 miles for base units - and top line units are reasonable as well as easy to set up.

The user unit would be a small lightweight auto CB.  This is powered by a motorcycle battery, both enclosed in a durable wood case with a shoulder strap.  I could send scouts out a few miles and receive calls from them.

The base and units would be operated and maintained by a PV bank unit.

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
Re: CB net
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 04:15:37 PM »
There are many better options (in my opinion) than a wooden box, motorcycle radio, and cb.   You can get a handheld HAM radio for about $50, and there are frequencies called MURS that are in the ham band but okay for anyone to use.  Further, during a true emergency anyone can use a ham channel.  The trick of radio isn't so much power as it is antenna height anyway.  So as long as your "scouts" can toss a string into a tree and pull up a "slickwire" antenna, then you should be able to get good comms.

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 04:59:03 PM »
I love my CB but nobody is ever on very much

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
  • Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 02:32:36 PM »
Personally,  I have a Tech license so I prefer the ham bands. 

If by "legal hassles" you mean the bother in getting licensed, it's not hard.  $15 and an easy-to-study-for 35 question test - BANG, you're a "ham."

If by "legal hassles" you mean having your name on a government record that you have that comm capability, then forget what I just said.

However, you might want to check out the FRS/GRMS/MURS "handi-talkie" radios.  Under $50 each and available at Walmart/Home Depot/etc.  Comparable range to handheld CBs, and their channels are far less used.  While there is technically a license requirement for GMRS radios (one person in the group must be licensed), the FCC doesn't bother with pursuing violators unless they are misusing or attempting to reserve the frequencies for their exclusive use to the detriment of other users.  If there are no complaints against you, the FCC doesn't really care if you are licensed or not for GMRS.  It's not worth their time to catch you.

But if you are happy & comfortable with CBs, don't let us talk you out of them.

Anthony

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 02:47:53 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  I test those cheap handhelds extensively.  Got boxes of them.

The ones that say "6 mile range" have a range of about 1/4 mile.  That may be a feature of the area I live in.  I find that most of them crap out after short periods.

And yes - when Uncle Grab needs some commo gear he will get out his list and give you a nice requisition chit for your Ham set.

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 07:32:22 PM »
The limitation on most radios has more to do with what is between your two receivers than it does most other factors.  The little handheld that says 6 miles will talk 6 miles if you can get high up and talk in "line-of-sight".  That is why I mentioned the slickwire antenna tossed into a tree.  It gets your signal above a lot of the things that defeat it like buildings and stuff.

As to "uncle grab" , 

1.  they dont keep any kind of record of who has what ham gear.
2.  they really dont have enough people to track down hand held ham radios (one of mine is smaller than a pack of smokes)
3.  they have a lot better chit than that and don't want our little rigs.  Believe me.  I know this for a fact.

Then ONLY way they would track down you and your gear is if you were considered a threat of some kind, and if that is the case they will do it whether it is a ham rig, a cb, or a gms radio.

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 05:56:26 AM »
I just re-read your first post.  It sounds like you are still shopping for gear.  Do you already have a CB?  Have you done field testing on CB rigs?  In your expected area of operations?

I am a firm believer in being well-practiced with your chosen comms BEFORE the SHTF.  We'll all have enough problems without having to figure out why our call back to base for help isn't working...

Anthony

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 12:39:33 PM »
I've been running CB for nearly 40 years WB - it's the one I know best.

I constantly buy gear to upgrade my capability.

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 01:08:11 PM »
Then that's the right comm for you.   8)

Offline Alas Babylon

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Narcoossee (Just south of Orlando)
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 08:40:41 AM »
I have a cheap ham and SwampYankee set it up for me on a MURS channel at the meet up at the Lakeland expo.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I also have a CB that functions as both a base station and a handheld.
In the Jeep its hooked to an external antenna and 12v power. It also has a detachable small antenna and battery pack and looks like most other small radios.

I have 4 FRS radios for use close in to the house.
I think that covers most means of comms.

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 11:50:58 PM »
No ham radio yet in my possession. I have fallen behind on some things, hopefully by years end I will get it.

Offline Frank

• Survivalist Sr. Member
  • I'm gonna live till I die.
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 02:08:22 AM »
While looking at CB base stations I read reviews claiming reception of 50-60 miles for base units - and top line units are reasonable as well as easy to set up.

Unlikely, unless they are considering skip.  A good CB setup, with good conditions, can really reach out, but sixty miles ... eh.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:26:05 AM by Frank »

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 10:48:42 AM »
The limitation on most radios has more to do with what is between your two receivers than it does most other factors.  The little handheld that says 6 miles will talk 6 miles if you can get high up and talk in "line-of-sight".  That is why I mentioned the slickwire antenna tossed into a tree.  It gets your signal above a lot of the things that defeat it like buildings and stuff.
The "little handhelds" do only have a range of 5 miles or so (at best) under normal usage and conditions.  However, the dual-band "handitalkies" (ham radios) can be greatly extended thru the use of repeaters.  Most ham clubs put up and run repeaters that anyone can use.  I can talk from one end of Brevard County to the other and often well into Orange County.

In case of a SHTF scenario, I have seen home-brewed repeaters made out of a pair of handhelds that could be strung up in a tree to help extend range.

Another possibility is using satellites with the handhelds.  I know it sounds bizarre, but some ham enthusiasts do it on a regular basis.

As to "uncle grab" , 

1.  they dont keep any kind of record of who has what ham gear.
2.  they really dont have enough people to track down hand held ham radios (one of mine is smaller than a pack of smokes)
3.  they have a lot better chit than that and don't want our little rigs.  Believe me.  I know this for a fact.

Then ONLY way they would track down you and your gear is if you were considered a threat of some kind, and if that is the case they will do it whether it is a ham rig, a cb, or a gms radio.

If the concern is about a "big-brother" government using ham license lists to hunt down "rebels," I don't think that's a realistic enough worry to be a deal-breaker in getting licensed.  If you're a "problem" to a future totalitarian government, there's already plenty of data from the NSA's other sources that they have for the "troublemakers."

If you're worried about being tracked using ham radios (it's pretty easy to do with inexpensive equipment), then you need to practice OPSEC with your radios - use of brevity codes, short transmissions and moving before you transmit again, etc.  So rather than an excuse not to get licensed, it's more of a driving need to do so...

Offline Saints75

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 07:56:59 PM »
What would be a good mid priced  CB unit.? Can I somehow use it as a base station here at home and then use one of my cobra hand held walkies when I am away from the house say no further than 3 miles? Electronics is definitely not my forte!!! I have no clue about this stuff :-[

Sentry

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 09:36:54 PM »
What would be a good mid priced  CB unit.? Can I somehow use it as a base station here at home and then use one of my cobra hand held walkies when I am away from the house say no further than 3 miles? Electronics is definitely not my forte!!! I have no clue about this stuff :-[

Sure why not

Social Bookmarks