Author Topic: Field dressing an animal  (Read 4180 times)

ptajay

Field dressing an animal
« on: February 12, 2015, 02:23:30 PM »
Another item I was sheltered from growing up was hunting and field dressing, now an adult I am interested in learning how to do this task by field dressing an animal.  I'd like to learn the technique and the ends and outs of properly doing so. Unfortunately to get to many opportunities to go hunting or to learn how to do any of this but I would appreciate anybody who is knowledgeable if opportunity arises maybe it's a show me how to do so.  I wish it was some sort of like pretend kit out there to teach you how to do the task and practice if you don't get many opportunities to go out into the wild to do so. 

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
Re: Field dressing an animal
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 06:49:03 PM »
I could show you if the opportunity were present.   There is a "folk school" near here that does such classes. 

If you pay to go on a hog hunt at one of the ranches that offer such things, you can ask them to show you how to dress them out. 

I actually helped a buddy teach 2 fellers how last weekend.  *I was more involved assisting him than leading, but I can do it.  He is just way faster.

Offline SwampYankee85

• Orlando outskirts
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Carrying the fire
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »
I'm not speedy but I can make it look like food. I was shown once when I was 12 and was allowed to help my uncle. I learned on ducks. Learned on fish much younger. Eventually the animals got bigger but the concept is still kinda the same. I feel that IMHO,  that dressing out an animal is kinesthetic in nature. You probably just have to do it and keep practicing doing it but having someone show you how is what's gonna kick start the process. I was similar to you ptajay... Dad was a city boy from Detroit that married my "backwoods" mom. I was blessed with awesome uncles.

Myakka, if you get the chance could you film the process and upload the vid to something like youtube?

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 08:47:57 PM »
I will if my buddy is willing the next time we do a hunt.  He is very good.   I will also if I ever get a chance to go myself again.  Seems like all the places I had permission to hunt for myself have dried up.

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 09:27:08 PM »
Grew up butchering pigs, chickens and turkeys. Then wild game. Deer, rabbits, squirrel's, and a moose once. Have been out of it for more years than I wish to admit, but, just like riding a bike. If you find the body, I'll show you how to turn it into a meal....

Offline hiking4life

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Sr. Member
  • Not all those who wander are lost..
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 02:43:46 PM »
I would love to learn this as well. I've only been hunting a handful of times and have come up empty handed (my friends were there more for the booze than actually taking it a little more seriously.)

Offline delta69alpha

• Survivalist Pro
  • Making the PAW prepper safe
    • PAW productions
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 06:23:33 PM »
how to i did years ago...quick simple way imho..

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

enjoy

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 10:01:24 PM »
Ya start with fish.
     I knocked a buck down. Friend gutted, an we cleaned it. He is quicker than me.
   Get the meat on ice, if it melts drain it add more ice in a few days cut it for freezer or take it to be processed. The iced way I learned takes some gamey taste out. I dont mind carving a deer, but some folks do it different. An dont cut the gut sack, it stinks.
   Shoot squirrels in the yard. Clean them an throw them in a freezer (my uncle- he hunts, lives in ohio, did live in tennessee a few years, good mechanic, welder, ect)
    Bigger they are the more blood the have. After my incident any blood I seen brought back things but I am back to it not bringing things up for me.
    good luck with your quest it will get easier with time, practice, patients, an experience...

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 10:27:02 PM »

enjoy

Interesting to see different ways.

Offline delta69alpha

• Survivalist Pro
  • Making the PAW prepper safe
    • PAW productions
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 08:00:28 AM »

enjoy

Interesting to see different ways.

got tired of spending time gutting all the way when theres no need. imho. fast easy to the point.
i used to take the time a trim every chunk off...so we started doing them this way. in sense you trim the neck meat, cut out the straps, cut off hams, cut off butts..cut off shoulders toss full into the cooler process at the house indoors,,in the ac vs flies and heat.

ill admit theres waste but if your in a rush its super fast.
ive got one floating around somewhere on how to do tree rats as well. somewhere....

Offline dudeman351

• Survivalist Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 06:59:17 PM »
There is a guy on you tube (deer meat for dinner) he has it all from kill to table. Plus he is a Florida boy.

Offline Chris Burchfield

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 11:43:38 AM »
Dad started me out with squirrels when I was about eight years of age.  Would have me hold the front or back legs saying it was like taking off their pajamas.  So I was glad my head didn't come off when I was taking off my pajamas.   ^-^ ^-^ ^-^  Fish came later and was no big deal.  Deer came a few years ago and I was taught by my youngest son who has been an avid deer hunter for several years now.  I do love that tenderloin in a fresh cat head buttermilk biscuit.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:46:35 AM by Chris Burchfield »

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 10:10:18 AM »
Dad started me out with squirrels when I was about eight years of age.  Would have me hold the front or back legs saying it was like taking off their pajamas.  So I was glad my head didn't come off when I was taking off my pajamas.   ^-^ ^-^ ^-^  Fish came later and was no big deal.  Deer came a few years ago and I was taught by my youngest son who has been an avid deer hunter for several years now.  I do love that tenderloin in a fresh cat head buttermilk biscuit.

this was pretty much the way i started around 8 to 10 rabbits n squirrel's even some frogs in there... by 13 deer.. i will always remember what my granddad used to say... if you need to clean an animal you killed its nothing more than taking off their clothes.... the rest is just the way you get used to... my dad on the other hand was like a surgen and hey always showed me the field manuel way because he thought it was the easiest way to remember... since than iv added a multitude of techniques both learned over time and experience... but in the end its just like your dad and my granddad said its just undressing them....

ptajay

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 10:17:12 AM »
So when are we gonna have a live training together?

Fat Slacker

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 03:24:23 PM »
So when are we gonna have a live training together?

Count me in too please   :)

Tags:

Social Bookmarks