Author Topic: travel prep?  (Read 234 times)

Offline Alas Babylon

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Narcoossee (Just south of Orlando)
travel prep?
« on: March 02, 2015, 09:06:33 AM »
Two years ago, a solar flare larger than the carrington event flare almost hit earth, according to NASA in a report they put out last year.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

At that very time in 2012, I was with my family in the mountains of north Georgia visiting my parents.  In the way of preps, all I had was my get home bag, a 45 with 50 rounds plus two loaded mags, and a case of MRE's in the back of the family minivan. we were 500 miles from home and all the stuff I had been doing to help survive such an event.

From what I have read, solar flares lack 2 wavelengths that nuclear EMP has.  Solar flares, although a huge threat, may not be as damaging as a nuclear EMP, and may even leave vehicles running.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So how do you prep for such an event when you travel?
This summer I will be flying to Arkansas for a week with my family.  How do you prepare for that, if you can? What do you do if something happens when your 1000 miles from home, with no preps or friends (other than my wife's grandmother who is turning 100)?  Sounds like the opening line of a scary book.

Offline Capt Nat

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Apollo Beach Tampa Bay
Re: travel prep?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 09:17:16 AM »
The Admiral and I discussed this last time we flew to the West coast.

We have about decided to try to drive rather than fly.  At least we have whatever is in the vehicle.  Even though we use gps navigation, I insist on having paper street maps of the route...

Offline Alas Babylon

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Narcoossee (Just south of Orlando)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 09:36:16 AM »
I practically begged my wife to let us get a motor home for the trip.

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 09:47:30 AM »
My car always is packed. With the essentials.....
Motorhome. Great, but have there drawbacks. First, a big "target". IE: Whats in there??  Gas mileage is terrible. Mine gets 6 MPG. Not saying its not a great option, IT IS.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks