Author Topic: Solat Flare March 11  (Read 775 times)

Offline Alas Babylon

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Narcoossee (Just south of Orlando)
Solat Flare March 11
« on: March 12, 2015, 07:33:46 AM »
Just so you know:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The sun unleashed its first superpowerful flare of the year on Wednesday (March 11), and the intense eruption was aimed directly at Earth, space weather experts say.

The monster X-class solar flare, the strongest category of sun storms possible, peaked at 12:22 p.m. EDT (1622 GMT) today, originating from a sunspot known as Active Region 12297 (AR12297). NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory captured stunning video of the huge X-class solar flare as it erupted

It's unclear at the moment if a CME is associated with today's event. However, the SWPC has already issued a minor geomagnetic storm warning for Friday (March 13) as a result of three CMEs the sun unleashed on Monday (March 9).

Offline Capt Nat

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Apollo Beach Tampa Bay
Re: Solat Flare March 11
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:01:05 AM »
10 am and so far so good.   

I fear that a hundred nearly identical looking flares can hit us with minimal affect before one blows every transformer on the continent...

Thanks for keeping an eye on this for us Mr. AB

Offline Florida Cracker

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 10:23:21 AM »
If I'm reading this correct the stuff that left the Sun on Monday the 9Th will get to Earth on Friday the 13Th. So then what left on the 11Th will hit on Sunday the 15Th. That's actually not bad for me. Not to minimize the power grid getting fried. I'm just say'n, I think we all agree that sooner or later bad crap will happen. Given the inevitability why not hope for bad stuff to at least come at a good time?
Just my thoughts.

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 02:08:53 PM »
No doubts it will happen. How can I say I hope the government gets the worst of it and not sound like a bad person?

Offline Alas Babylon

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Narcoossee (Just south of Orlando)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 04:04:36 PM »
Not this Sunday please, I am going on a cruise! Imagine a flare hitting while my cruise is leaving, one big enough to take down the grid.  That would suck! Would they return to port, or keep o going?
I would prefer Saturday before I depart. I'll be at the titusville warbird airshow Saturday. At least I can make the long walk home from there. Maybe I should pack a bike.

Offline Saints75

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 04:43:49 PM »
No problem here in our neck of the woods so far, just one heck of a rain storm.

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 10:11:42 AM »
The news on Friday the 13th said that there had been no reports of damage.  Today is Sunday the 22nd, and nothing at all happened, which is a good thing.  I know, without doubt, that one of these days a CME will knock out our power grid.  Good job and a big thanks to AB for keeping us informed.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks