Author Topic: "food is gone"  (Read 1416 times)

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
Re: "food is gone"
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 06:11:56 PM »
Let me just go on the record as saying it will have to be pretty dire straits before I'd be out scroungin' for grubs and leaves like an animal.  Yes, it can be done, and yes, I know a some (not all) about wild edibles.  However, I do not share the view that nature is some all-you-can-eat buffet.  Living like that would be miserable, at best.  But for the sake of playing along with the scenario...

If it were only my house that were looted, I would beg or barter with my neighbors.  That's assuming the S had not totally hit the F.  Now if it had, and we were living in the PAW, and I had bugged in to my home here in Expendable Acres, I would think that I wouldn't have a lot of neighbors left.  I'd be scroungin' like never before, looking for goodies left behind by everyone who had bugged out and couldn't carry everything (or been raptured, leaving heathens like me behind). 

Seriously, my stockpiles are there to buy me some time to get my garden going full bore.  My plan is once the other shoe drops (or the balloon goes up... pick your metaphor), I would begin fishing, gardening, etc.  Once my stockpiles are somewhat deleted, I would (hopefully) have a good start on self-sufficiency.  If I lost those stockpiles, I would have to start fishing a little earlier than planned.

Sentry

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 07:46:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Let me just go on the record as saying it will have to be pretty dire straits before I'd be out scroungin' for grubs and leaves like an animal.  Yes, it can be done, and yes, I know a some (not all) about wild edibles.  However, I do not share the view that nature is some all-you-can-eat buffet.  Living like that would be miserable, at best.  But for the sake of playing along with the scenario...

If it were only my house that were looted, I would beg or barter with my neighbors.  That's assuming the S had not totally hit the F.  Now if it had, and we were living in the PAW, and I had bugged in to my home here in Expendable Acres, I would think that I wouldn't have a lot of neighbors left.  I'd be scroungin' like never before, looking for goodies left behind by everyone who had bugged out and couldn't carry everything (or been raptured, leaving heathens like me behind). 

Seriously, my stockpiles are there to buy me some time to get my garden going full bore.  My plan is once the other shoe drops (or the balloon goes up... pick your metaphor), I would begin fishing, gardening, etc.  Once my stockpiles are somewhat deleted, I would (hopefully) have a good start on self-sufficiency.  If I lost those stockpiles, I would have to start fishing a little earlier than planned.

"Scenario"

Offline SwampYankee85

• Orlando outskirts
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Carrying the fire
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 02:24:40 PM »
Good point.

If you ever find me in a field with a beard down to my belt buckle mumbling incoherently and trying to catch grasshoppers please, give me a snack.

Sentry

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 11:15:29 PM »
Good point.

If you ever find me in a field with a beard down to my belt buckle mumbling incoherently and trying to catch grasshoppers please, give me a snack.

Ill keep a twinkie just for that scenario

Offline islamoradamark

• Survivalist Jr. Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 09:13:03 AM »
i would have to catch alot fish thats easy for me but need to learn what kind of seeweed to eat

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 10:09:50 PM »
Looked at books as well, an same thing, the poison plants confused me.
 Some grasshoppers eating poisonous plants become poisonous.
    Not any fish ponds with in 5min of me.
 An if ammo for squirrels run out I might try, rat traps.
    Thinking now about the lost settlement. Called Roanoke. An what they ate that I heard. Like boot strap stew, boiling bones an drinking the water, eating rat an mice, birds.
     But I know if it got that bad I hope humanity dont turn cannibalistic.

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 12:06:09 AM »
Ice chest in back of my truck has the better parts of a nice boar in it. 

I don't foresee cannibalism in my future.

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 12:22:26 AM »
... Not any fish ponds with in 5min of me.
 An if ammo for squirrels run out I might try, rat traps. ...

I believe I would walk 60 minutes to eat fish rather than eat rats out of my back yard.  Just my own preference. 

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 11:53:10 AM »
EX is right the food we have will only buy you time for several things.... to get the garden going, be alive after the die off and add extra sustanabilities to the gardern when it does come in.. their is food like wild ediables and stuff and as far as fising goes trout lines and the such.. wild fruits on trees and scavaging houses business, buildings and warehouses...

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 02:03:00 PM »
EX is right the food we have will only buy you time for several things.... to get the garden going, be alive after the die off and add extra sustanabilities to the gardern when it does come in.. their is food like wild ediables and stuff and as far as fising goes trout lines and the such.. wild fruits on trees and scavaging houses business, buildings and warehouses...

Across the pond behind my house there are wild blackberries.  If I were feeling industrious I could probably pick a gallon or two of fruit.  I might even be able to get three gallons if I stayed out in the hot sun for half the day, bent over, killing my old back.  The plants only bear fruit once a year, in the spring.  In fact, I was walking around the pond yesterday and saw lots of fruit that was almost ready to pick.  I could preserve them and it would make a tasty little occasional treat, but that amount of fruit is not going to sustain anyone for very long.  I know that if you can find wild blueberries you could pick a gallon or two.  There are none near my house.  I would have to walk maybe five or ten miles to find some.  So for a whole day of walking in the sun and a couple of hours of picking berries I might get two gallons of fruit.  Again, that is not going to sustain anyone for very long.

I'm not saying that knowledge of wild edibles is not important.  I think it is.  However, I look at that as a short-term survival skill, like if you are lost in the woods or if you are hiking 60 miles back home after an EMP disables your car.  As far as a long-term plan for sustainability, I just don't think it's feasible, especially when you also have to feed two-point-four kids and a disabled mother-in-law and a three-legged dog.

No sir, I firmly believe the best strategy is to use your stockpiles to buy time while you get your sustainable food sources up and running.  Gardening, fishing, hunting, or bartering with those that do... that's my goal.  And before anyone says, "well what about if the planet Niburu collides with earth" or "what happens when the zombies steal your stuff", I know, I know, anything could happen and I will not... CAN NOT... be prepared for everything.  I just need to focus on the most likely way to ensure the survival of my family and friends.

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 02:26:29 PM »
[quote author=The Expendable 
No sir, I firmly believe the best strategy is to use your stockpiles to buy time while you get your sustainable food sources up and running.  Gardening, fishing, hunting, or bartering with those that do... that's my goal.  And before anyone says, "well what about if the planet Niburu collides with earth" or "what happens when the zombies steal your stuff", I know, I know, anything could happen and I will not... CAN NOT... be prepared for everything.  I just need to focus on the most likely way to ensure the survival of my family and friends.
[/quote]

this, EX is the best we can all do no matter the situation or cause of the collapse.. the knowledge we gain while we have the liberty to do so in the end is going to be really just as important as the stuff we have in the beginning to get us up and going to sustainability.. will we be successful only god knows and i hope to never find out.. but things are really looking kinda out of control or scripted depending on your perspective

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 05:58:37 PM »
[quote author=The Expendable 
[/color]

this, EX is the best we can all do no matter the situation or cause of the collapse.. the knowledge we gain while we have the liberty to do so in the end is going to be really just as important as the stuff we have in the beginning to get us up and going to sustainability.. will we be successful only god knows and i hope to never find out.. but things are really looking kinda out of control or scripted depending on your perspective
[/quote]

Bum, as usual, you nailed it.

Offline Alas Babylon

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Narcoossee (Just south of Orlando)
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 11:07:39 AM »
I may have gotten all this started with my response about native food being all around us.
Native food is part of my plan, but not even a main part (just like I don't count on Social Security as part of my retirement).

I used the initial post as my reference -which was: your food is all gone, and you don't have much to go on, so what do you so.

So what do you do when your garden has been destroyed, your food stocks are gone, and you have no resupply?

My "by the book" plan is to sparingly use my long term food supply while I increase the size of my existing garden.  I always have something growing.  Harvested peas , carrots, lettuce, greens, tomatoes, and eggs yesterday. (On my soap box -DONT WAIT to learn to grow your own. Its harder than you think to be consistently successful).  Resupply is the only sane way to prepare.  But if something happens, a personal SHTF within the big SHTF, (i.e. hail storm, fire, raiders, disease or other crop damge)  then you have to think ahead and about what you can do until that garden is back into production.

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2015, 12:56:24 PM »
AB, you're right, and yeah, I've strayed from the original topic a bit.  In response to what you posted, I agree that no one should wait until the S hits the F to start learning how to garden or whatever.  I've said that my plan is to have my stockpile tide me over until I can get my garden, etc., online.  Thst doesn't mean I'm sitting back doing nothing.  It just means I'm not going full blast.  I have my "test garden" for now, which is a 4x12 raised bed garden.  I have several fruit trees in my yard.  It's all I have time for while working full time, fighting with the HOA, working on the car, helping my mom get around, etc.  Now once the other shoe drops I assume I will not be going to work anymore, so my full time job will be transforming my whole yard into a garden, fishing, etc.  For now, I guess the knowledge about how to do these things is more important than actually doing them.  Your garden could be overrun by zombies and your preps could be burned up, but if you have the skills and knowledge, it can't be taken away... which I guess is a good answer to the original post.

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2015, 07:57:22 PM »
here's a couple of web sites that i use to forage for food.. you can post your stuff you find and you can set locations for stuff other people have found this is stuff in mostly public places... this is an interactive map that iv used to set locations around my area for seasonal fruit. i dont post but i mark on a seperate pad the positions and type of fruit..

check them out:

Tags:

Social Bookmarks