Author Topic: Wanting to cut the cord  (Read 749 times)

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
Wanting to cut the cord
« on: June 09, 2015, 05:30:53 PM »
Just got another notice from Brighthouse networks, raising the price again. Sick of it. I was reading a thread on another site about options. Yes, I watch more tv than I should.
So, I still need tv, internet and still thinking about the landline home phone.
I have the brighthouse tv and Verizon internet and home phone now.
There seems to be a lot of options out there.
What does everyone have/use?
Are you satisfied with what you have?
Suggestions appreciated. Thanks, All.

Sentry

Re: Wanting to cut the cord
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 10:33:53 PM »
Err, well....

We have been using Bright-house Cable and internet. We have no Phone Line, as we use Cell Phones.

We kept bright-house over Verizon cause Time Warner who owns/ owned would not give you up. Now since Comcast has been trying to purchase Bright-house. Not much point in keeping it...

I really have enough on hard drive to watch and keep me busy as far as TV/ Movies. There isnt much on TV Im really that interested in. Though cutting out Cable isnt going to save me all that much in cost since I will still want internet.

Could I use the Cell to do wifi for a laptop and or a laptop? Yes

If I do that Im only paying for one device... Might be an option for you.

Then you could drop your Hard Line internet and Cable.... Outside of that start hanging out where there is free wifi... Just be careful of hackers.

No interest in the Verizon Home Phone Line.
Not sure about the Verizon Cable

Netflix and Amazon Prime will provide me with movies and Documentaries if I decide to dump Cable... TV Shows, if something worth watching comes on.

So since you need a new hobby outside of watching TV, better git started on that HAM License...  ;)

Offline pappa44

• Son of the SOUTH
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Sr. Member
  • TCB - FTW
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 06:55:59 AM »
Tried Verizon a few years ago!Don't go there..They came drilled holes in my garage outside wall to setup equipment,promissed $89.00 month for cable,internet and phone!We got our first bill it was $150.00 or so,second bill was &160.00 or so.Called got excuses.Had to drive 20 miles to the nearest store to return equipment.Guy at store rude as HELL.Now with brighthouse,order the "Basic Internet",cable [1-box] and phone its $125.00 and change!If you upgrade internet speed expect to pay $180.00 and up for the package deal.Brighthouse service is excellent,I call they are here the next day in most cases.Still a lot for these 3 services,but want service got to pay the the piper! Happy hunting.   

Offline Toxoph

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 09:31:59 AM »
I have DTV and really hate it, dont really want to change because ALL the other services I hear simular horror stories from. One thing with DTV, constantly call them about the discounts they add that fall away. For 4 years I have kept my bill around $80 which would normally be close to $150 by constantly badgering them (which is why I hate them). Sometimes it takes 3-4 supervisors and often a transfer to the cancellation dept, AKA customer retention dept but then I was prepared to drop them, not just a bluff.

One thing I am going to get and let it overlap for a bit before I drop DTV is the Matricom box. Its an Android, open source device that gets you everything (for now). It streams from offsite and domestic souces for anything you can imagine. Just buy the box at about $200-$250 and NO monthly fees, thats just 3 months of DTV. I have seen it in use alot and it is amazing! Google Matricom, amazon sells them, I have a local dealer that will do all the setup and service. You do need at least 10mb speed internet.

My other option is to drop everything, digital rabbit ears (my garage already uses them) and Netflix through my PS3.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 09:37:34 AM by Toxoph »

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 09:45:29 AM »
Well, Thanks. Guess I'll pull out the Bitcher and Moaner. Call and see what I can get.  Hooked on too many shows, the wife too. If someone would drop an EMP on us it would solve the problem, Wait, that would take out the a/c with it. OK, Better rethink again...

Offline SwampYankee85

• Orlando outskirts
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Carrying the fire
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 10:23:12 AM »
You could always pull a swamp maneuver... I haven't watched television in 12 years.

Offline Florida Cracker

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 10:28:43 AM »
Considering the amount of pure crap on TV, that's becoming a more and more appealing option.

Offline bildo6

• Global Moderator
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Pinellas
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 12:25:45 PM »
We dropped cable TV 6+ years ago I think.  Still have cable modem.  Don't even use the antenna on the roof.  After about a month you don't miss those shows you "had to watch"

If I want to watch something I use Netflix or amazon prime

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 09:25:55 PM »
Yea, I'm sure the initial few weeks would be the hardest. 

Offline hiking4life

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Sr. Member
  • Not all those who wander are lost..
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 01:38:25 PM »
A little tip with brighthouse.

I called and told them I wanted to cancel the cable altogether because I was having a rough time making the payments. I have been with them for a long time so I'm sure that my scenario has something to do with the outcome.

They dropped me down to basic cable and internet for $45/mnth for a year. I was originally paying $109 + for cable and internet.

I don't watch alot of TV, so not having many channels doesn't bother me. I still get the ones that I find are important in case something does happen and I need to find out information (for news, weather etc) and I also have netflix and amazon prime for movies if I'm in the mood to sit on the couch and watch some shows.

I though it would bother me at first, but nowadays I don't se how people can pay so much for TV channels/programs that aren't even that good :\

Offline rice paddy daddy

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 10:50:33 PM »
We got rid of the satellite dish a couple years ago. We had had one or another company since signing up with Primestar in the 90's. Dish, Direct, all over priced.
We never used them for internet.
Cable does not extend out to where we are.
So, after two years of one independent channel from Jacksonville, I went ahead and bought a deep fringe RCA antenna ($129) and put it 20 feet up. Tried 30, but without guy wires that wasn't a happening deal. Spent another $24 for an RCA signal booster and now get all the channels available from Jacksonville. I only watch the news, plus whatever NASCAR races are over-the-air. Looking forward to the World Series in October.
Our internet is high speed wifi through our phone company, Windstream. We have local calls only, no caller ID, nothing but the bare minimum. The primary use is internet access, in fact we have the ringer turned off. This costs us $86/month.

There was a withdrawal period after the satellite left, but it didn't last long. My stress level went way, way down by not watching Fox News any more. Now I wonder why I ever wasted so much time watching liberals and conservatives yelling at each other.

Offline siege571

• Pasty-white Scot-Irish girl
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Ready for the Zombie Apocalypse
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 02:04:49 PM »
Hey Kodiak--

I don't have tv stations or cable. What I do have is a Roku box, which cost less than $100. I also subscribe to Netflix for a few bucks a month but don't actually use it that much. With the Roku, you get Amazon  (I signed up for Amazon Prime at less than $100 per year which also gets you free 2 day shipping on a lot of stuff from Amazon). Through Amazon on the Roku, you can purchase the current shows/series you're hooked on and watch old episodes or new episodes as they come out. With Netflix you can find new series for free, binge watch all them, then purchase the newest season to watch through Amazon. Then they are all there for you whenever you want to watch them, no commercials, and you can watch them on other devices, too. I like it. And you can get all kinds of other channels through the Roku, too.

Offline Capt Nat

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Apollo Beach Tampa Bay
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 08:21:26 AM »
I would hate to give up commercials...

I can't wait for the next episode of "Hanna and her Horse"!

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 10:20:20 AM »
I call that on, horse with a hore. Which one has the dirty knees?  I watch way too much tv.

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
  • Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 08:05:50 AM »
I've been paying attention lately.  About 90-95% of what my wife and I watch is on broadcast TV.   My kids watch Netflix almost exclusively.

I put a $35 antenna up in the attic and I'm picking up 57 channels in the Orlando market.  Virtually everthing we watch is there.

Right now, the problem is convincing my wife to give up her DVR box.  It's easy for her to use and allows her to watch TV on her schedule.  I put together a Raspberry Pi board using Kodi (aka XBMC) software that will make almost any TV show episode IN THE WORLD available within 24 hrs of the original broadcast. 

But that's too difficult for her to switch over to right now....

Tags:

Social Bookmarks