Author Topic: Testing yourself.  (Read 1580 times)

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
Testing yourself.
« on: July 17, 2015, 09:15:45 AM »
So! I am throwing at the "community" a "plan Test". I hope to attempt some form of it. Has anyone else tried something similar? Any thing you would add or modify?
test the plan.
#1; do a “Practice Disaster Week.”
Go to circuit breaker and cut off most power to the house.
“Don’t turn that on for 7 days,”
- “Don’t turn on your faucets. Don’t go to the store. Don’t even buy gas-(unless we neeeed too). For the next week, we have to survive only on whats stockpiled an have on hand" for one week,  what we need to do.
To expose an show some of the holes in our "disaster plan."
     Practice Disaster Week couple times a year.
Just to help to see where our disaster plan needs work.
you’ll find all kinds of little vulnerabilities – like needing extra beans or different soaps, we’ll learn to resolve deadly exposure in a catastrophe – like not having enough food… or not being ready to defend our family against a desperate intruder… or an angry group.

#2 The Start-to-Finish Equipment Check.
    Make sure all the equipment works, and that we know how to use it.
Like:
Knowing how to use firestarters?
to build a fire.
How about water purification
Go through everything – cooking equipment, tools… even some firearms.
Some things never used before or done is making sure how
- even for things Used a thousand times– is making sure they are in proper, working order.
  testing everything every few months or so. Is suggested, You never know when you’ll need it.
   Make sure please that we have a plan. An we update or tweak it an do our checks.
It will keep our family alive after a disaster, an during one.
   Get out all the equipment and test it. Make sure we all know how to utilize it, and making sure it works right.
The last thing you or I need is for our propane to not work when we’re trying to boil water, or our pistol to jam up when there’s an angry "duo" breaking down our door.
Actually, the last way to test for holes in the Plan is all about protecting the family and our home from mobs, thieves, murderers, and rapists, an so on.– anyone who might be trying to hurt you during collapses..

#3 call this “Frankenstein,” or call it “Zombies,” whatever.
-Zombies since that’s more what’s in the movies these days.
It’s a simple game we can play with Kid/s to test our home for weak spots.
  Picking a starting point... Like somewhere in our yard. You’re gonna be the "zombie (or Frankenstein, or any monster"). and the chase is on. Kid/s & "partner" gets a head start, and then they run inside and hide.
They declare doors or windows “locked” by touching them and yelling “locked.” And they can “build barricades” in hallways (all ya have to do is yell “barricade” and point to where it is).
But any lock or barricade. Will only stop "Intruder Zombie" for 60 seconds. Then you get to move through it.
Once you catch them, the game is over.
You probably see the goal of this game!
   It is to show where the easiest entry points to the house are. An some defense issues. When you’re walking around looking for an “unlocked” door or window, you’re seeing all the ways an intruder or mob is supposed to be looking to "break in."  Once you’re inside, you’ll see the best places to slow down a intruder or DUO and protect our family.
Then you can Learn a few simple tricks for defence. To get an even better view of the cracks in our defences, switch places with "kids", so you can see what it’s like to try to keep someone out.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 09:18:45 AM by - D »

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
Re: Testing yourself.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 02:11:20 PM »
Testing the plan is critical. I've tested and gone through it IRL. I've learned something from each type of testing experience and we are better for it each time. Of note is if I am not home does my family know where to find everything and how to use it. Some things they did. Some things they couldn't get to and needed to be relocated for easier access. How will you stay cool, warm,clean, wash dishes & clothes, keep everyone busy or entertained, dispose of waste?  Is there a meal plan or just food on the shelves. The meal plan can help minimize food waste due to lack of refrigeration for left overs and the other half of the ingredient you don't need to finish the recipe. How will everyone respond when others less prepared begin asking for handouts? What plan is in place to prevent them from noticing you're better prepared? Fire,shelter,water,food is only the beginning.

Offline Capt Nat

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Apollo Beach Tampa Bay
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 10:19:37 PM »
I've played with this some.  Florida summers are brutal and will be a large part of the test.  A lot of things are just a lot of work.  An answer that I didn't get is how much more calories will living in the modern 1800's take? 

Offline Alas Babylon

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Narcoossee (Just south of Orlando)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 08:44:13 AM »
My AC broke last week for the upstairs. It was 91 up there yesterday.  Thanks God we have a separate AC downstairs.
My plan for the future has to be enough solar power to power a small window unit at night. otherwise I'm bugging out north!

Offline Toxoph

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 09:49:43 AM »
I think most holes/faults would be exposed in the first day, much less 7! I'm sure it would be for me. I agree, the heat is too brutal here, at least in the summer.....fall.....spring.....and much of the winter!  ;)

Since I do have alternate AC options, it would be interesting to test this for just 1 day, correct those faults then test longer next time.

Offline Capt Nat

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Apollo Beach Tampa Bay
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 06:40:32 PM »
Before you guys bail out, when AC is completely out of our lives, FL is very doable.  Pioneers did it.  I was in high school before we got AC in our home and our schools didn't have AC. 

Once the power is out,  acclimation will take place in a matter of weeks.  I am more afraid of winters up north...

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 06:45:10 PM »
Anyone who visits Fort Myers should tour the Edison AND FORD homes.   What you will see is that they were built with the angle to the sea breeze in mind.  Back then, they expected to leave windows (and whole walls) open.   It is fascinating how cool some older Florida houses stay.   Concrete floor, tile, shade trees, angle to dominant breeze.........   all matter.

Offline -> Bear

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 10:34:14 PM »
An new construction homes dont compare to the older homes. An like many we may need to make do with what we have. Mobile trailer homes, double, triple wides an others imo will eventually if not remodeled get molded quickly.
 I had a AC unit go out it got warmer inside than out. An I had lots In a fridge if they were off that would have went bad. Got me thinking.
   An years ago in basic training, hot or cold on the 3rd floor we had Windows open with screens, that was Missouri.
 I dont mind the north cold. Just the snow :-) ??? If it got tooo bad I may think about Georgia, Alabama, or super last resorts Western New York with a friend or Ohio where I was born an have "associate's"

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 10:57:54 AM »
Have not done the test. I choose Janruary. Yes, summer would be miserable, but not the end of the world. Heat limits work time and decreases food storage.

Offline -> Bear

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 10:28:02 PM »
What a shame it'd be if my fridge an deep freeze had no power.
   There goes my meats, dairy,  ice cubes,

Offline Crash_Maxim

• N4TAQ
  • Survivalist Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 09:10:04 AM »
One thought, maybe never occurred, if your house is open for cooling purposes, there go your defenses against roving zombies, just saying.

Offline delta69alpha

• Survivalist Pro
  • Making the PAW prepper safe
    • PAW productions
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 06:31:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Before you guys bail out, when AC is completely out of our lives, FL is very doable.  Pioneers did it.  I was in high school before we got AC in our home and our schools didn't have AC. 

Once the power is out,  acclimation will take place in a matter of weeks.  I am more afraid of winters up north...

yup.
no ac in my hs and that was the 90's lol .

you gotta learn to adapt to it.
i work outside 90% ofthe day. i do love me some ac though. but lt only takes a lil to change.
instead of that tstat set at 68..bump it to 73...then 75...the 76,,,
theres times that 78 feels good to us.
now i like to sleep  cold,,,so its gotta be 75 at least.
if it wasnt for the bugs right now in my area windows will be open.
by the time night temps drop into the 60's is when the windows get open.
once day temps get around 75  its the same.
just acclimate yourself to it.

in about 2-3 days youll get used to it.
i used to host hikes this time of year..youd be surprised how cold you are on day 3 in the AM vs that 1st day..90+ daytime and then straight to 74 is like waking up in a cooler lol .

we did the 7 days on lts/st food years ago...and we camp a bunch.
no electric to us is "camping with carpet"

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
  • Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 12:27:32 PM »
Been doing a lot of full-time camping recently - detailed it in a separate thread.

Have to say that it really clarifies the usefulness of some things and the uselessness of others.  Makes decisions about how to handle things a lot more obvious.  By all means, test.  The longer you can manage the test the better.

Offline -> Bear

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 11:13:40 PM »
Well I am more willing than the rest of my household. Darn nabit! 5 steps forward is really only 1! How can I ever survive the zombie apocalypse! Or full hell on earth....???

Offline Fred8328

• Survivalist Pro
  • Happy
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 11:11:31 AM »

We did a winter test back in Feb (Were in N KY mind you); to see how we would manage heat, fireplaces, kids, etc... Turned off everything and taped fridge shut, we wanted to see how we would hold up as a team.

I called it an epic fail, wife said we did OK. The heater ended up back on about 7 hours later; that's a fail in my book.

I can say we learned a lot about kids dynamics in cold; interesting crap popped up we didn't think through, we learned....

Tags:

Social Bookmarks