Author Topic: Ever been to a rocket launch?  (Read 3596 times)

Offline FLPrepper

• Survivalist Pro
  • Daytona Beach
Ever been to a rocket launch?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 08:08:19 PM »
I grew up in Daytona Beach. I have seen many of the rockets/missiles/shuttles go up. Best launches of all are the night ones. I have even seen the shuttle riding on the back of the 747 transporter heading back to the cape, now that is impressive. One came down the coast at maybe 500 feet and looked to be just about stall speed. That one was the shuttle that flew the last mission on its way back to be prepped for launch. And in 1972, my scout troop went to the cape to meet some of the astronauts and see the Apollo 15 launch from the visitors complex.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 08:13:57 PM by FLPrepper »

Offline Wnn

• Survivalist Newbie
Re: Ever been to a rocket launch?
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 04:56:58 PM »
I used to head other with family.i remember the 1st shuttle launch. On the way out i learned a few new words for drivers via my dad. Still remember challenger goin off & bam & thinkin thats not normal.now i just step out in the front pasture & look due east.

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 09:50:55 PM »
I live in Sanford, so we're close enough to see them.  I have gone over to the beach to see a couple, but one was really cool... we have a friend whose dad used to work at the Cape.  She was able to get a VIP pass to go right across the river from the launch pad for the first night Shuttle launch.  She invited us to go along.  It was really cool!  When the rockets lit up, it was as bright as morning!  All the fish in the river started jumping (I guess they were confused).  About 15 seconds after the rockets lit up, the sound hit us.  It was amazing!  Still nothing like the old Apollo launches, from what the old timers tell me.

Offline dudeman351

• Survivalist Newbie
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 10:50:12 PM »
Living almost my whole life about 40 miles or so almost due west of pad 39B, Ive seen every shuttle go up from the first one to the last one.

Offline Saints75

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 06:16:58 PM »
When I lived in Tampa I could watch the shuttle launches from my apartment balcony. It's sad that the current administration is throwing$$$ away to other countries and bullsnot programs instead of continuing the space program.

Offline Toxoph

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 07:18:31 AM »
Saw the Atlas rocket launch this morning, nearly 200 miles away! Just happened to be pointing in the right direction at a stoplight as the orange fireball rose then the amazing trail which lit the sky after it was in orbit, the rising sun lit it up, glowed neon, totally amazing!

Offline Capt Nat

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Apollo Beach Tampa Bay
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 06:39:27 PM »
I was in Kissimmee and had vowed to watch it, but I just couldn't quite make it that early... :(

Offline cook

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 06:43:27 AM »
Saw Thursday the AF launched a new sattelite.
Before I get too old,I really need to get off my butt and take my grandson up to see one,as much for me as him. O0

Offline hiking4life

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Sr. Member
  • Not all those who wander are lost..
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 11:19:44 AM »
The first one I saw was at night time and it was absolutely incredible.

I think the night launches are so much better than the morning/day ones.

Offline cook

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 06:53:09 AM »
Just saw at 8(monday morning) there will be another launch,weather service(NWS) with 12 micro satelites.

Here is the twist.

The rocket is mounted under a converted 747,which will fly up however high they go,then launch it..kinda like a cruise missle but for space.

I imagine its been done before,makes sense,just never heard or thought about it before. O0

Offline Toxoph

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 07:58:15 AM »
Yes, I heard about it too, unfortunately, even if it was a conventional launch, this mornings fog wouldn't allow me to see it. I would imagine the release would be quite high anyways. I think they said its at 8:19am

Yes, many times before. The first private company to achieve orbit (I believe) was SpaceX did it. Going back to the 60's, NASA did the X-15 program.

I'm a child of the space age so I've always followed the space program. Guess that's why I play with High powered rockets to this day!

Offline cook

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2018, 06:59:47 AM »
Feb.6 spaceX has one planned,think they said it is a "heavy"12 engines...I gotta search the web and see what I can find out.Long drive with youg grandkids if they cancel it with 10 seconds,will have to search what else is near by if that happens. O0

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 09:40:32 AM »
Does seeing it on TV count? I been to a couple of those..

Offline cook

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 02:23:26 PM »
Way cool,up early and saw a wierd formation cloud this morning.Full moon and bright at 3 am,and seemed like it was a ..I don't know what to call it.Turned out Space X launched.
Way cool. O0

Offline cook

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2018, 11:28:36 AM »
Saw on the news this morning they imploded 2 of the orignal launch towers,maybe from1955?Reminds me of my childhood days playing with estes rockets...good times ! O0

Tags:

Social Bookmarks