Author Topic: Materia Medica  (Read 436 times)

Offline myakka

• Survivalist Pro
  • PRBO2014
Materia Medica
« on: August 02, 2015, 11:17:44 PM »
Okay that sounds fancy, but it basically is my diary of herbal medicine.  I took a basic herbalist class, and have read several other books.  In addition to this, my grandmother was a font of mountain remedies while she was alive.  (picture granny on the beverly hillbillies.)

So the first thing I did was to find out what plants I have around me that have medicinal uses (be realistic.  simple poultice/ tincture, not "can be made into cumadin.")
One great resource for this is GreenDean.  If he does a weed walk near you, he will also talk a lot about whatever herbal plants he sees on the hike.

Anyway, once I had a list of the plants I have access to, I researched simple uses for them.  I made a notebook listing the plant, what part of it is used, how it is used (tincture, tissane, poultice etc), what it is used for, what known dangers there are, and I included what books I have that reference this.

My herbal medicine book has about 40 pages.   That isn't enough, or a lot, but I know and understand how to use every one of the herbs listed, and I know I have it in my immediate area.

Offline Capt Nat

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Apollo Beach Tampa Bay
Re: Materia Medica
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:32:03 AM »
I've watched you poking and picking at plants.  I wish we lived closer, you could be the village medicine man in the PAW. 

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 08:00:29 AM »
I just saw this post.  Great tip, myakka.  Thanks!

Offline Sgt. Prepper

• The One and Only Billy Shears
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 10:04:16 AM »
Myakka Maybe you should publish your notes like I think Ex should publish his ... you two could get together and you'd have one heck of a prepper book!

Tags:

Social Bookmarks