Author Topic: Those window hammers really work!!!  (Read 357 times)

Offline cook

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
Those window hammers really work!!!
« on: August 24, 2015, 05:50:59 AM »
I posted about a month ago about selling my old car and getting a new one.I do construction and carried a lot of stuff in it.Also"emergency" stuff-FAK,fire extingusher,cables etc...

Emptied it all out into the garage and am slowly figuring out how to arrange it in the new car.

Last monday,during a heavy rain,a truck a little ahead of me hydroplaned and flipped into a canal,driver side down.Everyone pulled over,and I jumped in with a couple other guys.One guy was beating on the passenger window with a big coral rock from the bank,it just kept bouncing off.I went in the bed of the p/u and opened the sliding back window.
2 seperate people tossed us one of those window hammer/seat belt cutters.One tap and the window shattered.Got the guy out,uninjured but very much in shock.

I've always carried one of those hammers,especially here in Fl. with all the water...right in the pocket on the door.Did me no good when I finally needed it,as it was still in the garage..never put it in the new car yet.

Can't post links,but it was in the naples paper and video on the tv..I'm the one in the white t-shirt.

Offline Chris Burchfield

• Survivalist Pro
Re: Those window hammers really work!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 06:51:32 AM »
An old fashion antenna with the small ball on the end will work.  You need the small point of impact with the pressure behind it.  Also strike near the edge of the window.  Not in the center.  A spring loaded center punch works nicely too.

Offline SwampYankee85

• Orlando outskirts
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Carrying the fire
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 07:10:55 AM »
Good on you Cook.

Offline Capt Nat

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Apollo Beach Tampa Bay
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 08:03:10 AM »
Good work Mr. Cook, you make all us proud!

Offline pappa44

• Son of the SOUTH
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Sr. Member
  • TCB - FTW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 07:33:44 AM »
Good job,a Gold Star is Awarded..

Offline Sgt. Prepper

• The One and Only Billy Shears
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 01:25:36 PM »
If anyone has seen the new "car cane commercials?  That Is a widow hammer and a seat belt cutter.  Look a one close the next time you see the commercial. 

BLB

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 02:51:41 PM »
Great Job!!! 

.....another tip for the small window hammers is to gorilla glue some HD Velcro on them and place them in a spot where you can reach them seat belted in. Loose in door pockets are good if your helping someone else, not so good if your the one that was just in a rollover and stuck upside down and its somewhere scattered in the car where you can now no longer reach it.  If forced to use expedient items, try to find the most pointed part and use that part to hit the corner of the side windows where they have the least flex, since the windshield is laminated and is designed not to smash away.

Offline cook

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 05:46:13 AM »
Great idea on the velcro,and also hitting the edge of the window.

Ya know,it was over in about 2 minutes,but felt like 2 hours...slo-mo.Kinda hard to even remember all the details,it was just reaction.

Offline Florida Cracker

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 10:35:29 AM »
Way to step up bro, good for ya. The last part of your last post says a lot. Time perception altered, and the it was just reaction. This is exactly why we need to practice and train as much as possible. In all areas of our be prepared lives. When seconds blend into hours and a life can be measured in heartbeats, you will perform as you train.
Again good job.

Offline hiking4life

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Sr. Member
  • Not all those who wander are lost..
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 12:59:20 PM »
Wow nice job! I bet it felt like 2 days of time went by lol.

I bought my two at a gun show that has a knife, seat belt cutter and the window breaker all in one. I keep mine on my visor and have one in each vehicle. I really wish there was a way for me to test it to make sure that they actually work. But I do make sure I buy the ones that have the metal tip and not the plastic type. Not sure if there is a difference, but it just makes me feel a little bit better about it's effectiveness.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks