Author Topic: Faraday cage  (Read 285 times)

Offline ken vickers

• Survivalist Newbie
Faraday cage
« on: August 31, 2015, 02:24:09 PM »
Does anyone have knowledge of Faraday cages and could tell me if a metal clad cargo trailer like the ones pulled behind a pickup would work as one. I'd be grateful for advice.

ptajay

Re: Faraday cage
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:09:59 PM »
Im sure you could adapt one on larger scale

Here's a link to build basic one

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
Re: Faraday cage
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 02:18:37 PM »
Here's a link to a more exhaustive thread on the subject:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This is not a conclusive test, but it's a good starting point... put your cell phone in the trailer, close the door, then call it.  If it rings, the trailer will NOT work as a Faraday cage.  If it goes straight to voicemail (i.e. no signal), it MIGHT work.  Cell signals are approximately in the middle of the EM spectrum of the main component of an EMP pulse, so it's a good test.

What I have read, and confirmed with my own tests, is that non-ferrous metals work best at shielding against EMP.  Copper is the very best, but aluminum is also good.  Iron and steel are not very effective.  Try it for yourself... put your phone inside a steel camo box and see if it rings when you call it.  Next, put your phone in a Ziplock bag and wrap it with a couple of layers of aluminum foil.  I'll bet it won't ring.

A lot of people have said that they will use their washing machine to throw their electronics in if an attack is imminent.  That will not work.  I've also heard people talk about using a steel storage shed in their back yard.  That also will not work.  I have not personally tried a galvanized trash can.  It might work, but I think I would wrap the items inside with foil also as insurance.

I don't know about your trailer, but I seriously doubt it would work.  For it to have a chance it would have to be non-ferrous metal, completely sealed and impervious to radio and gamma rays.  Does it have a wood floor?  A plastic vent cover?  A window or skylight?  Rubber seals around the door?  All of those things will allow EM radiation to leak.  I'm sure the trailer would offer some protection, but like the garbage can, I'd plan on adding further protection to the items inside.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks