Author Topic: Best Dog breeds for Florida  (Read 821 times)

Offline rice paddy daddy

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
Re: Best Dog breeds for Florida
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 10:18:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, I rescued a pit/terrier/lab/retriever back in October in Pinellas Co before we moved to the property here in Columbia Co.Have had him by my side daily and about 3 or 4 weeks ago his attitude changed.He realized we where his parents and this was his permanent home.AT 60 to 65 lbs pure strength! Didn't know how protective he had become until last week.A Rottweiler of a neighbors was here the two got along fine until they started to leave.The Rott charge out of the pen past me then turned and came back at me,Chucky nailed him!Lucky enough he had him by the fatty part of his cheek under his ear,so no real damage!Took some doing to get him off the Rott but we did and they both are fine.We will never let the two get together again.Rescued dogs no matter the breed are Very Loyal and Protective.Because of his size and the fact that Pinellas rescue had over 90 large dogs at that time we got Chucky for $5.00!!That was it.$5.00,he was neutered and had all his shot up to date.Animals are not hard to train as long as you show Love and Respect,They will do the same in return.Plus do all they can to please there mom and dad!As someone has already suggested,go to a rescue center and stroll around.That One Special canine will touch your heart.I walked past 20 or 30 and came home with Chucky.Still don't know if I picked him or He me.But we are a Happy family..Good luck in your search and have a Blessed Day..

pappa

Chucky picked YOU, my country friend.
Rescue dogs are the best.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:21:41 PM by rice paddy daddy »

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 02:24:32 AM »

The purpose of our dogs is (1) be inside if we go to town and let any bad guys know to try down the road instead, and (2) alert the big dog (me) if there is something to be aware of. Pull up to the front gate out by the road, 150 feet from the house, and my dogs will let me know.
Oh, and (3) be loyal companions and good farm dogs.

That's it :)  starting with a puppy so it will view my cats as family vs prey. I do not have an intimidating image so I need that in a dog. I'm leaning towards the doberman or german shephard mix. An acquaintance fosters rescued dogs and currently has a mastiff. A dog through her would be minimal cost or free. There's no way I would pay a fortune for a pet and I believe it works out best when they choose us. I think the mixed breeds may be the best choice health wise. Pure breds seem to have more medical issues. A larger dog would be a comfort with my recent change in circumstance. I'm not sleeping very well.

How do you handle the dogs when nature calls if you are gone for an extended period? Pet sitter? Dog door to back yard?
Will the dogs tear up the house if left alone for long periods while I'm at work? I would exercise and work with them when I'm home.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 09:11:34 AM by Floridaclipper »

Offline pappa44

• Son of the SOUTH
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Sr. Member
  • TCB - FTW
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 10:23:38 AM »

The purpose of our dogs is (1) be inside if we go to town and let any bad guys know to try down the road instead, and (2) alert the big dog (me) if there is something to be aware of. Pull up to the front gate out by the road, 150 feet from the house, and my dogs will let me know.
Oh, and (3) be loyal companions and good farm dogs.

That's it :)  starting with a puppy so it will view my cats as family vs prey. I do not have an intimidating image so I need that in a dog. I'm leaning towards the doberman or german shephard mix. An acquaintance fosters rescued dogs and currently has a mastiff. A dog through her would be minimal cost or free. There's no way I would pay a fortune for a pet and I believe it works out best when they choose us. I think the mixed breeds may be the best choice health wise. Pure breds seem to have more medical issues. A larger dog would be a comfort with my recent change in circumstance. I'm not sleeping very well.

How do you handle the dogs when nature calls if you are gone for an extended period? Pet sitter? Dog door to back yard?
Will the dogs tear up the house if left alone for long periods while I'm at work? I would exercise and work with them when I'm home.

If they are Well house trained it won't be a problem.Chucky was around 4 yrs old when we got him and someone did a fine job on his training.We take him out 2 or 3 times a day and some days we put him in his pen for 3 or 4 hours.But there are those days we go to town for hours on end and No problem.Plus we take him out around 6pm in the evening and not again until 7am or so in the am.Never has he made a mess in the house.He has better bladder control then we do for sure.As long as they are house broke and you take them out before you leave for work to do there business and let them out when you get home,should be No problem.We take Chucky out before he gets breakfast and either before or just after he eats his dinner.In your case it would be before he eats in the am (you leaving for work) and as soon as you get home in the evening before dinner.

Offline pappa44

• Son of the SOUTH
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Sr. Member
  • TCB - FTW
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 10:30:31 AM »
rice paddy daddy on April 16, 2016

Chucky picked YOU, my country friend.
Rescue dogs are the best.
[/quote]

I do believe you are right and yes they are.Hey rice paddy daddy I'm about caught up organizing things around here you and I need to get together sometime!!
Looking for a 5 ft. Disc Harrow if you run across one in your travels.I picked up a bush hog and a 5 ft. adjustable grader blade,just need a harrow and I'm set.
Be safe out there and have a Blessed Day my friend.

Pappa
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:03:27 AM by pappa44 »

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 11:31:23 PM »
Thank you all for the help and insight. I'm going to spend some time with the dogs at the Humane Society this week and then try fostering one. If all works out I'll have a new addition to the family in a few months.

Offline rice paddy daddy

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2016, 09:49:50 AM »
Thank you all for the help and insight. I'm going to spend some time with the dogs at the Humane Society this week and then try fostering one. If all works out I'll have a new addition to the family in a few months.

Thank you for considering the rescue route. The foster idea is a good one, to insure the prospective dog is a good fit with your family. Each dog has its own personality, just like people. We are blessed in one sense - having always had dogs, any newcomer gets shown the ropes by the older dogs.
(My wife and I have also rescued horses, but that's a story for another day)

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
  • Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 07:04:40 PM »
We rescued a Carolina Dog, also known as the American Dingo. 

They are a good "medium-size" dog - about 50-60 lbs - not so big that they eat you out of house and home, but big enough to be an actual deterrent.

Very pack-oriented, they bond extremely well with the family, are fiercely loyal and protective.  The downside of that is they are so social that they suffer from extreme separation anxiety.  When we adopted him, we were assured that he was completely crate-trained.  And at the shelter, surrounded by a dozen other dogs also in crates, he had no problem.  But left ALONE in the house while my wife and I were working, he literally CHEWED HIS WAY OUT OF HIS CRATE and then popped out a house window to go outside and find us. He would go back in the house when he didn't find us immediately outside.  We solved the separation anxiety problem with another trip to the shelter and adopting a boxer-beagle mix - a lovable companion but no real protection.

The Carolina Dog has always been very alert (although he's 14 now and going a bit deaf).  Not barking at every little noise, but you knew that there was something out there by the way he'd perk up and start listening closely.  Whenever a "stranger" came onto the property, he'd adopt a very aggressive stance - head lowered, teeth bared, growling, hair on his back standing up - but he also acknowledged my position as the alpha by staying just in back of me, waiting for me to do something first. 

One night when I was taking out the garbage, he sprinted ahead of me to the trash cans in the dark.  I heard cans being knocked over and then my dog trotted back to me in the light - and I saw that he had a goddamned BOBCAT in his mouth, and it was pissed off!  He had caught it just right between the shoulder blades where no matter how much it twisted and clawed it couldn't touch him.  When he did drop it, it RAN up a tree as quick as it could to get away from him.  I went over him with a fine-tooth comb to make sure he wasn't hurt.  I was worried about rabies, but the bobcat hadn't managed a single scratch on my dog.  Brave and loyal, he kept me from getting clawed up that night.

If you can cope with the separation anxiety, pound-for-pound you won't find a better protection dog.

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2016, 10:42:20 PM »

They are a good "medium-size" dog - about 50-60 lbs - not so big that they eat you out of house and home, but big enough to be an actual deterrent.

Very pack-oriented, they bond extremely well with the family, are fiercely loyal and protective.  The downside of that is they are so social that they suffer from extreme separation anxiety.  When we adopted him, we were assured that he was completely crate-trained.  And at the shelter, surrounded by a dozen other dogs also in crates, he had no problem.  But left ALONE in the house while my wife and I were working, he literally CHEWED HIS WAY OUT OF HIS CRATE and then popped out a house window to go outside and find us. He would go back in the house when he didn't find us immediately outside.  We solved the separation anxiety problem with another trip to the shelter and adopting a boxer-beagle mix - a lovable companion but no real protection.

The Carolina Dog has always been very alert (although he's 14 now and going a bit deaf).  Not barking at every little noise, but you knew that there was something out there by the way he'd perk up and start listening closely.  Whenever a "stranger" came onto the property, he'd adopt a very aggressive stance - head lowered, teeth bared, growling, hair on his back standing up - but he also acknowledged my position as the alpha by staying just in back of me, waiting for me to do something first. 

One night when I was taking out the garbage, he sprinted ahead of me to the trash cans in the dark.  I heard cans being knocked over and then my dog trotted back to me in the light - and I saw that he had a goddamned BOBCAT in his mouth, and it was pissed off!  He had caught it just right between the shoulder blades where no matter how much it twisted and clawed it couldn't touch him.  When he did drop it, it RAN up a tree as quick as it could to get away from him.  I went over him with a fine-tooth comb to make sure he wasn't hurt.  I was worried about rabies, but the bobcat hadn't managed a single scratch on my dog.  Brave and loyal, he kept me from getting clawed up that night.

If you can cope with the separation anxiety, pound-for-pound you won't find a better protection dog.

Great story and what a handsome looking dog. It's about the only thing that made me smile today. Thank you :)

Next week I'll try a shelter. The Humane Society doesn't think I'll be a good fit for a dog because of my long work hours. The shelter requirements are easier. Separation anxiety would be an issue. I've talked with some other dog owners and they say their dogs are fine at home while they work. They let the dog out before they leave and when they return home.

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 01:09:10 PM »

Great story and what a handsome looking dog. It's about the only thing that made me smile today. Thank you :)

Next week I'll try a shelter. The Humane Society doesn't think I'll be a good fit for a dog because of my long work hours. The shelter requirements are easier. Separation anxiety would be an issue. I've talked with some other dog owners and they say their dogs are fine at home while they work. They let the dog out before they leave and when they return home.
Glad you are considering the breed.  I personally prefer Carolina Dogs to any other.

HOWEVER, they are a "primitive breed" and as such are VERY pack-oriented.  Separation anxiety WILL be a real problem.  The best solution that I have found for it is to have multiple dogs, so that they never feel completely separated/abandoned.  Otherwise they are an extremely well-behaved, trainable, protective, and loyal breed.

Have you gotten any further along with your plans?

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 09:03:52 AM »
Not really any further along. More people than not are steering me away from getting a dog. I don't have normal work hours and my schedule can vary from day to day and some shifts are 12 hours with a 40 minute commute each way. I would want the dog to be happy too and the breeds I was looking at need a lot of attention. If I had family/friends that could help with the dog it could work but I don't at the moment. I have one possibility of someone that would like a dog but can't afford one. She's a recent widow like me but has experience with dogs. I'll have to ask her about the possibility of dog sharing.  I really don't like coming home as late as I do from work. I would find some comfort in having a dog to know things are ok in the house when I get there and a trail buddy.

I did offer to help my pet sitter with her accounts so I'll be starting that this month to get more experience.

Offline fla_native

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • More irritating than a turd that wont flush
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 09:56:42 AM »
I saw a guy come into our local bar the other with this ugly yellow dog. Didnt think much of it until it got into a fight with the owners pitbull. The fight was short and bloody and ended with the yellow dog actually eating the pit!
The bartender asked the guy what kind of dog it was and the guy said, " I dont know but before I cut its tail off and painted it yellow it was an alligator."

Ill be here all week!

Offline FLPrepper

• Survivalist Pro
  • Daytona Beach
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2016, 11:34:33 AM »
I have liked and respected Airedales (the dogs not aircrews) since I was a kid. They are smart, loyal, kid friendly and will protect anyone and anything that they are told is theirs. They have even been known to protect strangers kids from danger. When I am in a position to own another dog, it will be an Airedale (not the aircrew :D ).

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 01:28:13 PM »
Not really any further along. More people than not are steering me away from getting a dog. I don't have normal work hours and my schedule can vary from day to day and some shifts are 12 hours with a 40 minute commute each way. I would want the dog to be happy too and the breeds I was looking at need a lot of attention. If I had family/friends that could help with the dog it could work but I don't at the moment. I have one possibility of someone that would like a dog but can't afford one. She's a recent widow like me but has experience with dogs. I'll have to ask her about the possibility of dog sharing.  I really don't like coming home as late as I do from work. I would find some comfort in having a dog to know things are ok in the house when I get there and a trail buddy.

I did offer to help my pet sitter with her accounts so I'll be starting that this month to get more experience.
Hmmm...

I don't suppose your employer is open-minded enough to allow you to bring a dog to work?

That sort of a work schedule definitely goes against getting a Carolina Dog.  :-[

Have you thought of adopting an adult dog that needs to be "re-homed?"  A lot of shelters do end up with dogs whose owners had to surrender them for one reason or another (elderly owner unable to care for them, loss of home, allergic spouse, etc).  These dogs are perfectly fine for most situations (perhaps even yours) but their specific circumstance went against them.

Offline Sgt. Prepper

• The One and Only Billy Shears
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 02:33:08 PM »
I rescued a human today.

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering
apprehensively into the kennels. I felt her need instantly and knew I
had to help her. I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't
be afraid.

As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident
I had in the back of my cage. I didn't want her to know that I hadn't
been walked today. Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy and I
didn't want her to think poorly of them.

As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my
past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a
difference in someone's life.

She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me. I shoved
my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her.
Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for
companionship.

A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all
would be well. Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright
that I instantly jumped into her arms. I would promise to keep her
safe. I would promise to always be by her side. I would promise to do
everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes.
I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are
out there who haven't walked the corridors. So many more to be saved.
At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today.

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2016, 04:58:45 PM »

Hmmm...

I don't suppose your employer is open-minded enough to allow you to bring a dog to work?

That sort of a work schedule definitely goes against getting a Carolina Dog.  :-[

Have you thought of adopting an adult dog that needs to be "re-homed?"  A lot of shelters do end up with dogs whose owners had to surrender them for one reason or another (elderly owner unable to care for them, loss of home, allergic spouse, etc).  These dogs are perfectly fine for most situations (perhaps even yours) but their specific circumstance went against them.

LOL work would definitely not be an option. The Humane society would not adopt to me but suggested the kill shelters. While the dogs situation with me wouldn't be perfect  it's better than the alternative. My shortest possible shift is 8.5 hrs with a commute to and from. My schedule is different every day. Another option is from my vet. Many people find abandoned pets and post there to try and find homes. Some just drop them off in the middle of the night at the vets door and hope for the best. The vet will usually check them out so I would know fido is healthy. I do enjoy pets. The concern is finding the right one and that I could care for them as they deserve. It's important he or she is happy too.

Sgt. Prepper - I think I just got a spec of something in my eye. Must be debris from the storm in the air.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks