Author Topic: What do I put in my Granddaughters Get home bag?  (Read 321 times)

Offline gophfer

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Full Member
What do I put in my Granddaughters Get home bag?
« on: June 25, 2016, 08:37:39 AM »
Got a young teen (13) who travels with us frequently. I want her to have a small get home bag that she will carry when we hike on state park trails and be there if we ever need to get back home. I'm thinking:

- Water bottle ( we carry water in our vehicles)
- Appropriate clothing
- Walking shoes
- pocket knife
- some sort of emergency food/power bars
- poncho
- bic lighter
-flashlight with red beam option

What am I missing?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 09:18:59 AM by gophfer »

Offline fla_native

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • More irritating than a turd that wont flush
Re: What do I put in my Granddaughters Get home bag?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 09:00:08 AM »
I always have one of those Mylar "blankets".  Small , light, very useful.

Offline gophfer

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 09:18:16 AM »
Thanks! also adding flashlight with red beam option

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 01:27:46 PM »
Water, or a filter and container..

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 01:59:40 PM »
A bandana - filter water/bandage/splint many uses
a couple of water purification tablets (water goes quick in the heat) or a filter system such as Sawyer mini/squeeze or the new Renovo Trio (.05 microns!)
a whistle
a comfort item - ex small game, music player, arts and craft type item such as cords/ribbons to make key chains/lanyards they could also be used as markers etc
a compass
some type of fire starter unless shes proficient without it.
TP
Hand sanitizer
a couple of bandaids
tweezers for tick/splinters consider a swiss army knife. The camper,trecker,and huntsman have a saw as well as the pocket knife and tweezers
insect repellent - they have some really small ones about the size of a tube of lipstick
If weight allows perhaps some cord to turn the poncho into a shelter if it rains.

Offline Wrenchbender

• Survivalist Pro
  • Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 12:12:09 PM »
When my daughter went off to college (FSU) 5 hours away from home, I put together a BOB for her.  I was very careful not to overload it with redundant items (ie, 5 different fire starters) or items she wouldn't use (camping stove, weapons).  Just food (energy bars and trail mix), water (one bottle and a Sawyer Straw), communication (cell phone and power cell, FRS radio), first aid kit, emergency blanket, flashlight w/extra batteries and a multitool.  A paperback survival book (How To Survive in the Woods or Boy Scout Handbook, etc)

I feel keeping it lightweight is essential for children possibly using a BOB on their own.  It's too easy for them to decide that it's too heavy and they don't want to carry it.

One extra item I considered essential was a Spot GPS Satellite Messenger Unit.  Even if there's no cell service, she can use it to send any of several preset messages (I'm fine, Help - come get me, etc) directly to you on your cell phone along with her exact GPS coordinates via the GPS satellite system.  You can either go get her yourself or call the local police/fire to go rescue her.  My daughter has never needed to use it, but knowing that she has it has given me a lot of peace of mind.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 07:55:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When my daughter went off to college (FSU) 5 hours away from home, I put together a BOB for her.  I was very careful not to overload it with redundant items (ie, 5 different fire starters) or items she wouldn't use (camping stove, weapons).  Just food (energy bars and trail mix), water (one bottle and a Sawyer Straw), communication (cell phone and power cell, FRS radio), first aid kit, emergency blanket, flashlight w/extra batteries and a multitool.  A paperback survival book (How To Survive in the Woods or Boy Scout Handbook, etc)

I feel keeping it lightweight is essential for children possibly using a BOB on their own.  It's too easy for them to decide that it's too heavy and they don't want to carry it.

One extra item I considered essential was a Spot GPS Satellite Messenger Unit.  Even if there's no cell service, she can use it to send any of several preset messages (I'm fine, Help - come get me, etc) directly to you on your cell phone along with her exact GPS coordinates via the GPS satellite system.  You can either go get her yourself or call the local police/fire to go rescue her.  My daughter has never needed to use it, but knowing that she has it has given me a lot of peace of mind.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

AT hike.
That SPOT unit is nice. I think Capt Nat has one and used it on his solo AT hike.

Offline Capt Nat

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Apollo Beach Tampa Bay
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 12:12:13 PM »
Yes, my wife got me a spot and makes me take it everywhere.  I haven't needed it and the only message I've sent is the I'm OK one.  I send it because it puts me on a map with lat/long.  I also have a "come get me" message and of course the mayday message.  It makes both of us feel better for me to have it.  And, if I get senile and wonder off and get lost, I can just push the button and sit down and wait for someone to come get me...

Offline siege571

• Pasty-white Scot-Irish girl
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Ready for the Zombie Apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 07:02:53 PM »
It stinks to think of the worst, but what if she becomes separated from you?

I would add some mace for protection. Also some maps and directions for how to get back to your place. Perhaps a map with locations of and directions to certain safe areas (homes of friends or relatives, rendezvous points). A general map showing locations of water sources on the way to any of these locations as well as back roads/back ways to get back. Laminate in case of moisture or rain.

Also instructions on various things--how to start a fire, etc. Info on what to do in various scenarios--if she gets separated from you, if she gets lost, if you die or are incapacitated, numbers and addresses of relatives, police stations, hospitals, MAG members, pix of yourself that she might post on a board looking for you. You can pack a lot of info on a few sheets of paper.

Also sunscreen, a hat, fresh socks and some moleskin for blisters if she's hoofing it home.

Offline siege571

• Pasty-white Scot-Irish girl
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Ready for the Zombie Apocalypse
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 07:07:05 PM »
If she attends school near you, you may find this thread on bugging out from school helpful.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Tags:

Social Bookmarks