Currently:
  • Two day hike in the Ocala National Forest 4 1

Author Topic: Two day hike in the Ocala National Forest  (Read 1032 times)

Offline catfishn

• Survivalist Pro
Two day hike in the Ocala National Forest
« on: June 09, 2017, 10:57:12 PM »
This is a bit of a late report from a hike I did the first week of April.  A friend and I planned to hike forty miles over three days(Friday to Sunday) on the Florida Trail within Ocala.  My pack was about 35 pounds.  We planned to hike 10 miles on Friday, and 15 each on Saturday and Sunday.  Of course as we got closer to the weekend, the forecast kept getting hotter and hotter, so by Friday the high was to be 90.  The Hike on Friday, was 90% in the sun.  We had one stop at hidden pond, to resupply for water and rest. We stopped at a sink hole that evening near Hopkins Prairie.  We were pretty much on fumes by that point. I about jumped into the sink hole. We made camp and had a pretty good night. We both bought hammocks to sleep in to help keep the weight of our packs down.

We woke Saturday and got on the trail by 9.  The sun was up and it was another hot day.  Now, the fun started.  Not only was it hot, but many of the water holes we passed on the way along Hopkins Prairie were dry.  We were planning to stop at the last listed water hole, rest, drink as much water as possible and then fill up our water bottles to make it through a nine mile stretch that had no water.  We made it to what appeared to be the last "water" hole, which really was not much more than a mud hole.  At that point, we decided to tap out. We had hiked 7 miles that day, and did not want to  start that 9 mile stretch without having enough water. The Saturday trail was also mostly in the sun, and it was just as hot Saturday as it was Friday.   

I believe had the weather not been so hot, and we had more water sources along the way, we might have been able to complete the hike. 

But it was good a practice for a possible evacuation in the summer

The weekend before, the same friend and I hiked 7 miles in the Little Manatee River hiking trail, and while we did not have as large of a pack on, we still felt pretty good completing that hike.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:02:45 PM by catfishn »

Offline Florida Cracker

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
Re: Two day hike in the Ocala National Forest
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »
Good times, Thanks for the info Catfishn. Sitting in a recliner with a cold beer watching Surviverman may be fun and even a bit informative, but nothing beats hitting the bush. That's when we really learn and grow. That experience shared among like minded folks is one of the things I love about this board. Hope to have some stuff of my own to put up in the near future.
With the uncertainty of water in an actual event, plans to pack along (more) water need to be considered. considering the weight, maybe a "water wagon" set up.

Offline catfishn

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 07:15:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Good times, Thanks for the info Catfishn. Sitting in a recliner with a cold beer watching Surviverman may be fun and even a bit informative, but nothing beats hitting the bush. That's when we really learn and grow. That experience shared among like minded folks is one of the things I love about this board. Hope to have some stuff of my own to put up in the near future.
With the uncertainty of water in an actual event, plans to pack along (more) water need to be considered. considering the weight, maybe a "water wagon" set up.

Thanks.  Yes, it is good to get out there.  Absolutely, water will a concern. There is just no getting around the weight if you need to hump it for a  distance.

Offline delta69alpha

• Survivalist Pro
  • Making the PAW prepper safe
    • PAW productions
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 06:06:01 AM »
You can't go by the FT guides or Sat images out there.
Most "water" has dried up.
Hidden pond used to be up near the edge of the trail.
Not so much now days.
Hopkins is the same.
But at least there's a pitcher pump in the camp area.
And a few deep holes you'd have if desperate before the trail crosses 65 or 33..I still haven't memorized the newer road numbers.
Iirc there's one more water source before shanty pond and salt springs unless you hook out to 88 and hit the pub.

Juniper wilderness is NOT a fun place to hike in summer.
While it's only 5 miles to hidden from juniper springs..it's 90% clear cut/fire damage till you crest over into pats island before crossing fr10.

Offline catfishn

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You can't go by the FT guides or Sat images out there.
Most "water" has dried up.
Hidden pond used to be up near the edge of the trail.
Not so much now days.
Hopkins is the same.
But at least there's a pitcher pump in the camp area.
And a few deep holes you'd have if desperate before the trail crosses 65 or 33..I still haven't memorized the newer road numbers.
Iirc there's one more water source before shanty pond and salt springs unless you hook out to 88 and hit the pub.

Juniper wilderness is NOT a fun place to hike in summer.
While it's only 5 miles to hidden from juniper springs..it's 90% clear cut/fire damage till you crest over into pats island before crossing fr10.
]

Thanks for the information, you've been there once or twice it seems, it was my first hiking trip there.  Live and learn... 

Offline SwampYankee85

• Orlando outskirts
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Carrying the fire
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 01:27:41 PM »
Im jealous Cat. I've been working too much and need an adventure.

Offline catfishn

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 02:30:37 PM »
It was an adventure all right.  I think I'll wait for winter to do that again.   I'm planning on doing a three day float trip on the Suwannee in a couple of weeks.  Then, we should plan a board outing.

Offline SwampYankee85

• Orlando outskirts
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Carrying the fire
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 12:41:44 AM »
 ::ce

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 11:17:15 PM »
Thanks for sharing the adventure.

Offline catfishn

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 02:19:25 PM »
You are welcome.

Offline JimTheSnake

• Survivalist Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 09:33:13 PM »
ya walked right psssst me dumbasssssss

Offline catfishn

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 11:02:56 AM »
Too bad, I would have shot you had I saw you!  LOL.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks