Currently:
  • Old ways 4 1

Author Topic: Old ways  (Read 9460 times)

Offline Florida Cracker

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
Old ways
« on: June 14, 2017, 11:32:11 AM »
I was talking with my dear old mother the other day. We got on the topic of childhood injuries, and how they were treated. Mind you she is 87 and grew up dirt poor, in Dover Florida. Along with things like "take the nails that were in your foot and hammer them into the East side of the nearest oak tree from where ya got hurt." (Yes that was an actual part of the treatment that my Granny was set on.) A couple of common first aid implements was cobwebs and dip (Skoal). Grab some up and put it on the wound, then wrap it up. I have to cut this short but jump on in, what king of old family remedies and such y'all got? Share away. 

Offline aferalhamster

• Survivalist Sr. Member
  • If you're gonna be dumb, you've better be tough.
    • aferalhamsterintime
Re: Old ways
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 02:18:07 PM »
My dad swears by hot wax, melt it right off the candle.  He uses it on small wounds, hang nails, scratches and such.  I guess the theory is the heat from the wax kills infection.  He swears by it.

Offline Toxoph

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 03:46:05 PM »
Windex, spray it on anything that ails you......oh wait......maybe that was a movie!

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 10:28:58 AM »
Windex

My BIG Fat Greek Wedding

:)

Alcohol whisky, moon shine, or the like. You drink some and rub some on your muscle cramps. You'll feel better.
   Cigarette tobacco and saliva helps bee stings and wasp stings.
... I'll recall some later to add

Offline fla_native

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • More irritating than a turd that wont flush
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 05:06:20 PM »
Pine sap.

Spread it on a cut... mixed with charcoal and powdered leaves from a camphor tree for drawing salve ... Pine needle tea for a cold...

Offline Soflaprepper

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Sr. Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 08:55:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was talking with my dear old mother the other day. We got on the topic of childhood injuries, and how they were treated. Mind you she is 87 and grew up dirt poor, in Dover Florida. Along with things like "take the nails that were in your foot and hammer them into the East side of the nearest oak tree from where ya got hurt." (Yes that was an actual part of the treatment that my Granny was set on.) A couple of common first aid implements was cobwebs and dip (Skoal). Grab some up and put it on the wound, then wrap it up. I have to cut this short but jump on in, what king of old family remedies and such y'all got? Share away.

Have your dog lick your cut.   I was always suspect about that one......

Offline stonyman002

• Survivalist Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 05:40:11 PM »
My mom always kept a bottle of castor oil around.  two table spoons would fix just about anything. 

Offline cook

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 03:45:25 PM »
Yep,just the threat of castor oil made many kid feel better suddenly for decades O0

Offline stonyman002

• Survivalist Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 04:15:36 PM »
The sap from the cattail leaf is good for a bad tooth or a wasp/bee sting.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks