Author Topic: How people behave when facing situations  (Read 512 times)

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
How people behave when facing situations
« on: June 26, 2017, 07:55:50 AM »
I was thankful for sun today. We've had a lot of rain. So much rain that we are no longer in drought conditions but it recently caused 2 sinkholes and flash flooding. In this situation an elderly couple was in their car when the sinkhole opened in front of them. The reactions are concerning. The ability of those present to quickly assess and react...fail. One breaks out a cell phone and walks along the freshly collapsed edge with a broken gas line in it. The occupants of the car took their time getting out of the car. Fortunately they got out just before the ground collapsed further and their car fell into the hole. The plaza across the street had flash floods. Water was up to the seats in cars with people in them. How people respond to threat cues is a wide spectrum to their advantage or detriment. Fortunately in these cases no one was injured.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline fla_native

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • More irritating than a turd that wont flush
Re: How people behave when facing situations
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 08:30:20 AM »
This is why I firmly believe that 99% of folks , in the event of a major disaster, will literally mill around the Walmart parking lot til the starve to death.

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 12:12:31 PM »
Everyone I have spoke with has heard of fight or flight, but there is a 3rd "Freeze".
    I admit I get random attacks some medical folks call anxiety or panic attacks. I get them rarely, never understood the when they happen randomly an strangely some strong some weak. I have kept my wits to fight or flee or hide out. I was okay in the field training in the Army never had one attack. I went up a ladder once and about fell, having one :) some like these people don't fight or flight (run) they freeze and need a strong command, maybe a smack on the head. Some just freeze a second and are fortunate to to get there brain working before itz too late.
 amygdala receives sensory information from two separate pathways: a short route and a long route. Like all sensory information, the message is first routed to the thalamus. Then information is sent directly to the amygdala (short route), which produces a fast reaction to the situation. Other information travels from the thalamus through the cortex (visual, auditory, prefrontal, etc.) and then to the amygdala (long route). The cortex evaluates the situation, assigns it a meaning. I might be wrong but I think some people who freeze needs what i heard is a ooda loop interrupter, a mental swift kick.
   Thanks for reading -> D

Offline fla_native

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • More irritating than a turd that wont flush
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 12:26:56 PM »
Ive always wondered about the "flight or fight"thing... Ill be the first to admit that I should not be an EMT. I dont know if it the old military thing but in a situation involving danger my default is ,

1) Back out , find cover

2) Access situation

3) Act based on that accessment

Granted, all that takes is about 3-10 seconds but Ive never been sure where that fits into the Flight/fight thing.

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 07:47:49 PM »
I'm thinking Native it's like throwing a ball, it's a fight reaction you don't need to think over. Its your training to fight as a operative, combatant.
 A medic or emt will see the situation if they can provide help before they do, can they get to you or not? It is training to run into danger to fight for life.
  several other brain regions that provide input to the amygdala. The hippocampus, for example, is the memory center of the brain and provides contextual information to the amygdala. If you have experienced something similar in the past, then you have heightened anxiety to the present situation. Moreover, when you are frightened or experience some other significant emotional experience, your body’s adrenal glands release adrenalin, which has been shown to help encode memories to the hippocampus more effectively. That’s why you are so good at remembering things that are important to you or that trigger intense emotions.
   Training is imparitive for some so they act appropriate. Without training some don't respond correctly causing errors.
  Hope this helps. ;) ???

Tags:

Social Bookmarks