Author Topic: I guess Irma will give us a bit of test of our readiness.  (Read 3378 times)

Offline catfishn

• Survivalist Pro
I guess Irma will give us a bit of test of our readiness.
« on: September 06, 2017, 07:22:13 PM »
I think my area of the State, Central West Coast, will be spared from most of the effects of the storm.  But, it will give me a chance to review my supplies and plans to stay safe.

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
Re: I guess Irma will give us a bit of test of our readiness.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »
Hope you are right. Stay safe.

Offline Alas Babylon

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Narcoossee (Just south of Orlando)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 07:41:59 AM »
It is interesting watching all the people line up for water and gas.  It's times like these that my wife tells me she is glad we "have stuff".  Its also a good teaching moment for my son: watch and learn why we don't wait until the threat is upon us.
Its also a good learning moment for me: what works and what are we short on.

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 11:21:07 AM »
Long lines to get fuel. Some people getting upset so police are at some of the stations to keep the peace and resolve traffic flow issues. Unfortunately that's an issue for me. I commute to work so keeping the tank topped off is quite inconvenient. Otherwise I'm set and not stressing out. I'm hoping we'll close early at work. I'd rather not be driving at 11 PM on Saturday night. Fortunately I'm off on Sunday. As for others I'm hearing a lot of complaints because they can't find water to BUY, bath tissue, or bread. They can't think through to use containers and tap water etc. I'm glad I try and practice being grey.

Offline catfishn

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 08:34:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hope you are right. Stay safe.

Thanks, you too.

Offline catfishn

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 08:36:36 PM »
It is interesting watching all the people line up for water and gas.  It's times like these that my wife tells me she is glad we "have stuff".  Its also a good teaching moment for my son: watch and learn why we don't wait until the threat is upon us.
Its also a good learning moment for me: what works and what are we short on.

Yup. No sense in getting stressed out trying to get stuff at the last minute.

Offline catfishn

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 08:38:06 PM »
Long lines to get fuel. Some people getting upset so police are at some of the stations to keep the peace and resolve traffic flow issues. Unfortunately that's an issue for me. I commute to work so keeping the tank topped off is quite inconvenient. Otherwise I'm set and not stressing out. I'm hoping we'll close early at work. I'd rather not be driving at 11 PM on Saturday night. Fortunately I'm off on Sunday. As for others I'm hearing a lot of complaints because they can't find water to BUY, bath tissue, or bread. They can't think through to use containers and tap water etc. I'm glad I try and practice being grey.

Good luck.  Amazing how people are not prepared in a State that is subject to yearly hurricanes.

Offline cook

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 02:18:11 AM »
Anyone kinda/sorta hoping it hits to test out your preps? O0

Offline minitruck83

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Sr. Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 03:40:42 PM »
I think my area of the State, Central West Coast, will be spared from most of the effects of the storm.  But, it will give me a chance to review my supplies and plans to stay safe.

West coast?  Better keep a close watch on her, the NHC's trying to send it right over top of you!
Everybody keep safe, see y'all on the flip flop.

(or if FPL has its usual say......... in a couple weeks)

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 08:30:42 AM »
No I'd rather not have to test my preps in real life especially by myself. I lived on the coast in Destin when Opal came through. It was not pleasant either during or after.

The handyman will be back today to help me move some things and hopefully brace the garage door. When he goes I'll get the house staged to make things easier when the power goes out. From there the cooking and baking will begin to both use up some things in the refrigerator and ensure I have some tasty fresh things to eat for the next couple of days. Next on the list is to clean the house and do a lot of laundry. It's getting crazy out.People are starting to panic. Fights are breaking out, security is in some stores when they receive supplies. I've seen some that have evacuated in tears. They left without a plan and had no where to stay because the hotels were booked. Gas is still an issue. It can be found but you have to look for it and be patient as the lines are long. won't last. At some point the deliveries will stop coming until after the storm.  I'm good for now but I'm still trying to keep the car topped off. It doesn't take long to burn through gas in during my commute to work.

I wasn't seeing much information on projections for my area but I finely remembered to check acuweather. The worst right now is 54 mph with gusts to 109.
I looked up the expected damage at various wind speed so if interested here it is.....

Offline catfishn

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 10:07:34 AM »
Well, it looks like those of us in Pinellas County and other Counties along the west  coast are going to be in for the worse of it. 

Offline Toxoph

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 02:45:28 PM »
Got most preps done, I have minimal shutters, helped board up 2 other houses. Running through last of my preps now. If my home survives this, I'm fairly confident I will be ok, we will be without power likely for weeks if not longer. I'm in N Ft Myers so in direct path.. I live on the water, the surge can be bad but my house is higher than most in my neighborhood. I was surprised how many others were staying. Winds scare me, I have a couple gable ends, coul;d catch wind.

Anyways, this will be the last time to post till after storm.

Everyone be safe and God bless!

Offline Saints75

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 03:19:41 PM »
We are as prepared as we can be. This will be our first time to utilize our skills from a hurricane. I hope and pray everyone on this forum is ready and stays safe. Please, y'all... no Rambo's or hero mentality, just keep you and your family's safe.  Talk to y'all again soon. God Bless..

Offline gnepig

• Survivalist Newbie
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 11:26:34 PM »
We are also in west/central fl but inland a little ways and we are as ready as can be. I wish everyone here luck, be safe and if it's not safe- run.

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 11:02:45 AM »
Toxoph I hope all goes well for you. I spoke with a HAM in your area about 3 AM this morning. He reported 31 FT waves. YIKES! I hope that was an error. He thinks he'll be fine as he is just east of 41. My repeaters are in emergency mode so not a lot of traffic right now.

I'm as ready as can be at this point. I did have a couple of red flags yesterday. The handyman brought someone with him to help with a task I needed done. The handyman was referred to me but this is the the first time I've really dealt with them. I really dislike having people at the house. "oh don't forget you have XXX, wow you have a lot of XXX. It felt like they were taking inventory. Coming home late last night the roads were empty except for one car behind me flashing me with their lights. Gave me the creeps. I came home and saw a video from the Sheriff that looters etc would be dealt with harshly. I felt better after that  ::) I do like our Sheriff but I do not expect those so inclined to take advantage of people will be deterred. Unfortunately we will need to be ready for that too. The' expectation here is 110 mph winds and flooding from a river. My biggest issue is the wind. If I make it though that I'll be ok other than a lot of yard work and inconvenience. I think this is the first time my boss has been through a storm. He's pretty good to me usually. I couldn't help but laugh when he suggested we would try to reopen Monday afternoon.  At 10 AM the winds will be 45 mph so the first chance to get the trucks out will be at 11 when they drop to 37 MPH.  I'm 30 miles from work. I'm scheduled at 3 PM. That's plenty of time for the county to clear the roads, pump the flood water off the one I need to get there, do damage assessments, check the safety of the water supply, restore power, and resupply resources such as gas.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks