Author Topic: thinking outside the box  (Read 703 times)

Offline stonyman002

• Survivalist Full Member
thinking outside the box
« on: September 19, 2017, 04:23:56 PM »
A lot of stuff on the market has assorted uses.  Sometimes I'll see something and think to myself that's a cool idea... why didn't I think of that.  Anyone got any tips or ideas on products with multiple uses. 

I keep some of those inexpensive outside solar lights for sidewalks in my preps.  Picked them up for 1.00 each at the dollar tree.  I take a coffee cup full of sand to hold them upright and use them as indoor lighting.  Set them outside of a morning and their ready to go at sunset without being a draw on my battery supply.  Not really enough light to read by but better than sitting in the dark.  On a humorous note I use a coffee cup because the handle gives this a nostalgic twist like a modern candle stick holder.

Offline cook

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
Re: thinking outside the box
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 05:53:42 AM »
I'll try to list a few things I personally used in the last 11 days since Irma with no power.

5 gallon bucket-seat,step ladder,trashcan,picking up yard debris,washed a little laundry

Tin foil-besides cooking,under candles for fire protection and behind for reflection,rigging a tv anntenna

wire-rigging the anntenna,propping up plants,makeshift clothesline,hooking invertor to car battery

Duct style tape-too many to list

empty water bottle-refill and freeze for ice,cut bottom for funnel,poke hole in cap to spray gas in carb working on a genny

solar lights-recharge batteries for radio and flashlights

This is just a few things I actually did and not pulled off the net O0

Offline Toxoph

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 07:36:55 AM »
Good list Cook and I'm glad you're ok, I was thinking of my southern brothers in Collier!

Irma related items I  used with dual purpose:

Fish Gaff This was the greatest thing! I always have it to reach things around the garage but post Irmageddon it was so handy! I would hook it on yard debris to drag to curb, pull broken limbs from trees, pick up all the blown shingles and trash. This thing saved my back which was already hurting from repairing roof!

4x8 insulation board I used this to insulate my glass sliding door to help my already taxed mini AC unit keep bedroom cool. Soon it will be cut up and installed in garage door to insulate garage from heat.

Old water softner I had 2 of these laying around, I filled them with non potable water for toilet flushing if needed. (i didnt)

I'm still writing my "Things I learned from Irma" list and will post that later.

Offline cook

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 08:13:20 AM »
Irmageddon  ::ce too funny funny!! ^-^

O0

Tags:

Social Bookmarks