Author Topic: Do you plan on what you have, or what your vulnerabilities are?  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Alas Babylon

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Narcoossee (Just south of Orlando)
Do you plan on what you have, or what your vulnerabilities are?
« on: December 07, 2017, 09:20:51 AM »
As preppers, we often get into discussion about all the stuff, or skills, we have.

I have 20 years of food, 2000 guns and 11 billion rounds, etc.

I know I often look at my preps that way: How long can I feed my family if there is no grocery store? What defensive capabilities do I have? Who can I count on? Water supply? You get the picture.

When I look at my preps, I feel pretty good about what I've gotten together, and what I want to be prepared for.

Another way I've been looking at things is "how vulnerable am I".

I moved to 6 acres in a rural area 15 years ago, put in a second shallow well just for a hand pump, worked up the soil to grow things, and kept the perimeter untouched with the native palmettos, blackberry briers, and other natural concealment barriers. I thought I had a secure area.  But now with recent rapid growth in my area, I have come to realize just how foolish it would be for me to think I can stay put and "ride it out".  There have been thousands (not exaggerating) of new homes built in a two mile range, with another 700 home development just announced.  I just got a letter from a law firm stating they would be happy to represent me as the county takes 50-75+ feet of my front property for the road expansion.

When I look at threats and shortcomings, for me its boiling down to being in a very populated area. Worse yet, being in the back of a very populated area where there are still a few farms.  Nothing like farms to draw in the hoards in SHTF.  I'm coming to realize that unless I can hide, it does not matter how much food I have, or bullets.  How depressing.

So The question I now ask is what do I not have: I don't have security, I don't have a way to keep the hoards away, I don't have a strong enough group formed. I guess I no longer have a realistic plan.

Sorry if this is a downer, but better a downer now than a dead-er later.

Anyone else thinking this way.

Offline Toxoph

• Survivalist Pro
Re: Do you plan on what you have, or what your vulnerabilities are?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 11:22:26 AM »
I totally agree AB, from that perspective, my preps are woefully inadequate. But then, my focus has been primarily hurricane preparations and even then, Irma uncovered gaping holes. Naturally, I have non-hurricane preps, but vulnerabilities are lacking at best.

Your scenario is based more on a complete collapse of society, a scenario I believe highly unlikely, which is why I focus on the higher probability of a major hurricane devastation. Which by the way, Irma was not.

However, having said that, we should absolutely focus on vulnerabilities. Even in the short term event of Irma, our neighborhood was under attack from burglaries and unwanted people. Something I did not expect. So it would stand to reason, during a major hurricane, even if not permanent, we could easily have that and more, which did happen to an extant in previous events. I was proud of my neighbors when confronted by these intruders but so much more can be done.

I am very vulnerable. So I will be thinking more about that!

Offline rice paddy daddy

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 11:16:30 PM »
Long ago my wife and I decided that if the county ever paved the road we live on it was time to move further out.

So far, we are doing well. And at ages 69 and 71 we only have to hold on a few more years.

Sentry

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 09:59:28 PM »
Good topic!

I’ll try to post in couple days

Offline cook

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 05:06:31 AM »
I'm not the sharpest pencil,but I know I can't prepare for the millions of 'possible" events that may occur.I just try to do what I can.I'll stick to prepping for the weather,and financial stability.

I've had a good life,if something major happened,I'm not sure I would want to spend 3 years living in the dirt,eating bugs,hiding from zombies. O0

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 07:18:42 AM »
Keeping opsec in mind..

I live near a County Road,
I have contained water but no hand pump or river or pond
I have a decent neighborhood, and several armed folks I know..
Most live in trailers, here.
I know my weaknesses and I've compensated during Irma. I made do, and I got my family through, they had to lean on me.
Adapt, and overcome, flex and bend don't break. I made a generator work, kept freezers going. Lasted about 5 1/2 days without main power, yes I got freezers going but no running water. I made pancakes in a iron skillet on a grill. By day 2 I had a slight routine and things were clicking along alright. Me and several others had loose understanding it was like neighborhood vigilance you know who had this vehicle, oh yah that's jo. I tried pulling a truck out, his chain broke. Interesting times and few patches need made. We could Not find water in town, no cases in 5 stores, fortunately I had some, can't find batteries i had some ;)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:20:39 AM by -> Dutch »

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 09:09:17 AM »
We could always do better, or be better off.
  Making do with what you have and learning, and adapting are essentials I think most can agree on

Sentry

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 11:22:05 PM »
Where are you located AB?
We gots friends here, ideas and possibilities

Keep yer head up duckie. The pond gets algae now and again.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks