Author Topic: Florida edible plants  (Read 5114 times)

Offline truthofmeaning

• Survivalist Sr. Member
  • crested butte, colorado
    • JWR keeps it tight
Florida edible plants
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:04:57 PM »
Looking to grow my knowledge of edible plants indigenous to Florida, can anyone direct my towards a good book?  Currently searching the net will post good links here.

Offline Daywalker

• Survivalist Pro
Re: Florida edible plants
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:02:27 PM »
Here are two, Floridas Incredible Wild Edibles, By Richard J. Deuerling. And Peggy S. Lantz. Hope this helps. :D

Poorboy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Here are two, Floridas Incredible Wild Edibles, By Richard J. Deuerling. And Peggy S. Lantz. Hope this helps. :D

Is Peggy S. Lantz the name of the second book or the second author of the first book?

Offline truthofmeaning

• Survivalist Sr. Member
    • JWR keeps it tight
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 03:59:32 PM »
Thanks found it for cheap:

still looking for some good sites to link up with.  I know one thing I am surrounded by coconuts, cat tails, sea grapes, sea moss, sea weed, bamboo shoots all good eats. 

Offline Angeryamerican

• Survivalist Sr. Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 09:08:20 PM »

I met Dick at a Florida Native Plant Society meeting many years ago. He signed my book for me. He was exactly what I expected him to be. A real interesting guy.

Offline Swamp Gunner

• Survivalist Pro
  • We will win.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 07:26:44 AM »
Everything you ever wanted to know about Florida edible plants with you tube videos and articles from Green Deane. Me and daywalker met him. He's good.
Use this link for youtube videos:
The video links on his homepage wouldn't work for me.
Enjoy.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:49:08 AM by Swamp Gunner »

Offline Fred8328

• Survivalist Pro
  • Happy
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 08:22:49 AM »
Everything you ever wanted to know about Florida edible plants with you tube videos and articles from Green Deane. Me and daywalker met him. He's good.
Enjoy.

Great find, Thanks!!!!!

wyattd5

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 11:25:49 AM »
Everyone in Florida should know how to get some "swamp cabbage".  I never found it in a book though.

Offline darkside

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 10:03:42 PM »
Enjoy.

so it looks like he gives classes. did you go to a class? was it helpfull?

Offline Swamp Gunner

• Survivalist Pro
  • We will win.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 05:34:22 AM »
There was a meet and greet with some folks from another forum, survivalistboards.com, and he gave us a walk and talk in the woods. He did a great job, showing us powerful poisons and good eats! Mass starvation will only happen to the uninformed. There are thousands of tons of vegetarian food out in the wild. People in Africa starve sitting next to a river full of fish! Go figure!
This guy (green Deane) has awesome videos to watch. We can feed ourselves in allmost any conditions. Eat the Weeds.

Offline Fred8328

• Survivalist Pro
  • Happy
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 08:18:41 AM »

Watched a couple so far, this guy has great info.....

Thanks!

Offline truthofmeaning

• Survivalist Sr. Member
    • JWR keeps it tight
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 10:21:06 AM »
Just got back from the Big Cypress Indian reservation and learned about a ton of different plants and their uses, great area to utilize for local flora and expanding knowledge base.

survivaltime

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 08:03:14 PM »
I have a link on my website under the survival seeds section for "Of the Field" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Linda Runyon can show you everything you can eat, use as medicine provided by mother nature!

I myself prefer natural cures than any "big pharma" solution ANY DAY!

Offline Rocky Road

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 10:04:19 PM »
After 17 years in Fl.   I ate my first coconut ....    Truth picks it up off the ground, cracks it open and says here dig in... MMMM. 

I thought coconuts came from a plastic bag...  I cracked open one on my own today at the park and had a little snack again. Been kicking those things around for years and never made the connection..  What a valuable discovery for me. I am so excited about this.

Am working up my nerve to try the liquid inside if I haven't dropped dead from some cocogerm by then from what I ate today..    Thanks Truth..

Offline FightN4Freedom

• Survivalist Pro
  • it's all fun & games till someone gets hurt!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 11:10:49 PM »
My old stomping grounds were down in Broward County. We used to eat a few cocnuts ourselves, as long as they aren't cracked. If they are the "meat" can be tainted. The "milk" is kinda nasty, like a really thin milk, but I was cautioned to boil it first, like purifying water. Don't really care for coconuts, myself, but it can provide some nourishment. If you are at the other end of the county, in the Everglades, pull up some sawgrass (carefully, they call it sawgrass for a reason) and cut off the pale portion just above the roots and below the "saw blades" of green, and boil it. It's a tasteless cabbage-type food that will help you survive. No fire and water? eat it raw and hold your nose. Also, look for wild sugar cane, very tasty. Dang, I miss it down there sometimes.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks