Author Topic: Growing Wheat in Florida  (Read 8153 times)

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
Growing Wheat in Florida
« on: January 28, 2010, 06:06:06 PM »
OK, so I've been thinking about growing some wheat.  I know it will grow in Florida, but from what I understand the only reason it's not grown commercially is because the humidity can cause root rot.  I saw a video on Youtube that showed a small (100 square feet) plot of land being used to grow wheat.  According to what I've read, you could grow all the wheat you would need in a year on 1000 square feet. I'm not sure if that's true... the guy in the video I saw grew enough wheat for one loaf of bread on 100 square feet.

Has anyone here tried to grow their own wheat?  As soon as I can get my roto-tiller working again I'm going to get started on the ground.   

Offline poorboy

• Survivalist Sr. Member
Re: Growing Wheat in Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 06:27:46 PM »
yup
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:19:22 PM by poorboy »

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:19:57 PM »
Bump.  Asking again if anyone has tried growing wheat.  If so, how much did you plant, and what was your yield?  Also, how long did it take to grow?

Offline duhghe

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Inverness
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 07:34:46 PM »
Wish I could help with the wheat question, it's one of the few things I've never tried to grow.  What's wrong with the tiller?

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 07:45:41 PM »
Oh, the original post was from last year.  The tiller had been sitting for years, and the carburetor was gummed up.  The fuel tank was also rusty.  It's working fine now.

Offline whiterhino

• Survivalist Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 08:02:18 PM »
Hello, I have never grown wheat, if you have any information please let us know... thanks.

Offline Pop_45

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Revelations: 6; 8
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 08:48:33 PM »
The impression I get from Kathy in Fl (on another board) is that wheat will not grow in central and southern Florida.  But I will do some research to make sure.

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 09:01:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The impression I get from Kathy in Fl (on another board) is that wheat will not grow in central and southern Florida.  But I will do some research to make sure.

My understanding is that is has been grown here.  I read somewhere that back in the 50's or 60's it was grown in Florida as an experiment during the cold war.  The government was trying to create a strain of wheat that would cross breed with Russian crops and cause them to fail, thus wrecking the Soviet economy.  Nice, huh?  But anyway, that experiment was conducted right here in sunny Florida.  The main reason they did it here was so that the modified wheat would not get loose in the wheat producing states and wreck our own economy.

Offline Pop_45

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Revelations: 6; 8
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 09:28:05 PM »
Here is what I found out.  Wheat will grow in Florida.  Here is a link to U of F Ag dept. that talks about what is needed. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It's in PDF format so you'll need adobe reader. 
The growing season is short, Nov. to May. 

Hope this helps   ::bb

Tags:

Social Bookmarks