Author Topic: Oatmeal - long-term storage  (Read 5993 times)

Offline ehicks727

• Survivalist Pro
Oatmeal - long-term storage
« on: February 12, 2010, 03:35:03 PM »
Hey everyone... what are some good ways to go about storing oatmeal for long-term?   I was thinking buying some bulk quantities and putting it in a 5 gal bucket, in a mylar bag and oxygen absorbers.

What I'm concerned about is the issue with having 5 gallons of anything (oatmeal, wheat, etc.)  Once I crack that open, I've got 5 gallons of the stuff... that'll take forever to go through.    Maybe I can parse it out into 5-1gal bags into the 5 gal bucket.

Any other ideas?

Offline JustAPrepper

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • If You Ain't Pissed...You Ain't Paying Attention!
Re: Oatmeal - long-term storage
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:46:16 PM »
There shouldn't be any problem with breaking it down and storing it in smaller bags as long as the method is the same.  Then you can store all your smaller bags in the bucket for convenience.  I've distributed mylar bags of oats and other items to my parents for their storage.  

Also, if you keep 02 on hand you can always break open a 5 gallon bucket, pull out what you need, drop more absorbers inside and reseal the mylar.

I haven't actually tried this but you shouldn't need need electricity to reseal a mylar bag, just heat.  I have one of those old fashioned cast iron Irons.  You can find them in antique shops or sometimes at thrift/second hand stores.  My grandmother used to use them as bed warmers and when not in the bed they were used as door stops.  Put in/over a fire to heat and use to reseal mylar that way.  Matter of fact, I also have an antique cast iron Bacon Press.  That would probably work also if you have one of those.  Gonna have to try it for myself and see if it works.  I have some Vac-Sealing and Mylaring to do here shortly.  I'll post back.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:49:19 PM by JustAPrepper »

Offline JustAPrepper

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • If You Ain't Pissed...You Ain't Paying Attention!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 08:12:47 PM »
It works.  I set my little Iron over top the flame of my gas range and let it heat.  It was a slow process and I had to go over the Mylar several times, reheating the Iron each time but in the end I got a good seal.  Maybe I didn't let the little Iron get hot enough the first time but even with a pot holder it was still warm.  All in all, a great little SHTF item.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ehicks727

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
Good to know.. thanks!

Offline bildo6

• Global Moderator
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Pinellas
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 10:52:42 PM »
we store sugars (yes sugars) and flours ( yes flours) in 1 gal mylar.   makes it easier to rotate the stock

patriots4camelot

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:34:40 PM »
FYI............ I keep bay leaves.

It is a preppers best friend for any type of grain or dry food that might get bugs in it.
Potato Flakes, Flour, Grains, Oatmeal.

After you open your large content items, when you break them down, add a few bay leaves to each smaller portion. It will keep the bugs out. Bugs HATE bay leaves.

Offline ehicks727

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 08:53:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
FYI............ I keep bay leaves.

It is a preppers best friend for any type of grain or dry food that might get bugs in it.
Potato Flakes, Flour, Grains, Oatmeal.

After you open your large content items, when you break them down, add a few bay leaves to each smaller portion. It will keep the bugs out. Bugs HATE bay leaves.

Yeah, but if you throw oxygen absorbers in the mylar bags and seal them, won't THAT kill bugs??

patriots4camelot

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 04:17:21 PM »
I do not know how weevils exist. I have purchased unopened boxes of cornmeal with inner sealed plastic bags that had live weevils in them. Save yourself some heartache later on and throw in a couple bay leaves.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks