Author Topic: Reiki Energ Healer  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Fred8328

• Survivalist Pro
  • Happy
Reiki Energ Healer
« on: June 28, 2009, 07:29:35 AM »
Wondering if I need one of these around when the SHTF??

Reiki (pronounced ray-key) is a form of energy healing that centers on the manipulation of ki, the Japanese version of chi. Rei means spirit in Japanese, so reiki literally means spirit life force.

Like their counterparts in traditional Chinese medicine who use acupuncture, as well as their counterparts in the West who use therapeutic touch (TT), the practitioners of reiki believe that health and disease are a matter of the life force being disrupted. Belief in a life force, known as vitalism, was common in the West until the 19th century. Since then, the concept of life force has joined phlogiston, ether, and many other superannuated ideas on the rubbish heap of discarded scientific notions.

The belief in vitalism is still strong in China, India (where the life force is called prana), Africa (animism), and Japan  Each believes that the universe is full of some sort of vital energy that cannot be detected by any scientific instruments, but which can be felt and controlled, often by special people who learn the tricks of the trade.

Reiki healers differ from acupuncturists in that they do not try to unblock a person's ki, but to channel the ki of the universe so that the client or patient heals. The channeling is done with the hands, and like TT no physical massaging is necessary since ki flows through the body of the healer into the patient. The reiki master claims to be able to draw upon the energy of the universe and increase his or her own energy while performing a healing. Reiki healers claim to channel ki into ill or injured individuals for "rebalancing." Depending on the training and beliefs of the healer, reiki is used to treat a wide array of ailments. Larry Arnold and Sandra Nevins claim in The Reiki Handbook (1992) that reiki is useful for treating brain damage, cancer, diabetes, and venereal diseases. Many reiki healers are more modest and treat lesser problems such as fatigue or muscle soreness. I was once treated by a reiki practitioner for a wrist injury. The treatment didn't work because I was a non-believer, or so I was told. If the healing fails—and it will inevitably fail for such things as cancer—it is because the patient is resisting the healing energy. Non-belief is one of the great blocks to healing energy. There is a reason for that, which we will explore below.

Reiki is popular among New Age spiritualists who are fond of   "attunements," "harmonies," and "balances."  I have read that Reiki apprentice healers used to pay up to $10,000 to their masters to become masters themselves. The price has come down and, according to one correspondent, "prices for first level are around $100, second level $150-300 and master around $600-800." Other practitioners claim to pass on their knowledge for nothing.

Reiki training involves going through several levels of attunement. One must learn which symbols to use, when to call up the universal life force, how to heal an emotional or spiritual illness, and how to heal someone who isn't present.

Reiki was popularized by Mikao Usui (1865-1926). After fasting and meditating for several weeks, he began hallucinating and hearing voices giving him "the keys to healing."

Does it work? Yes. Reiki works as well as any other placebo medicine. It works primarily by the power of suggestion and classical conditioning, both of which can bring about physiological changes in the believer or the open-minded skeptic who knows little about placebo energy medicine. Reiki, however, will have no effect on someone who thinks the reiki ritual is superstitious showmanship. My reiki healer vigorously rubbed his hands across his pants before waving them over my wrist. He seems to have produced some heat and some static electricity, which I could feel when he got close to my skin. (As noted above, the healer doesn't actually touch the patient.) There are many kinds of reiki practitioners, just as there are many kinds of acupuncture. All, however, claim to be manipulating ki to assist in healing. The evidence for the existence of ki is the same as the evidence for suggestion and conditioning. Applying Occam's razor, we find no need for ki to explain how reiki works.

Is reiki or any other energy healing dangerous? The practices are not inherently dangerous, but they could be deadly to patients who try to treat something like diabetes or cancer by having someone wave her hands in the air over parts of the body or stick needles in the neck or thigh. Read, for example, the tragic story of Debra Harrison, a diabetic and co-founder of a type of energy healing called Consegrity, who was in effect killed by her own medicine.

One of the great promoters of energy medicine, Oprah Winfrey, often features Dr. Mehmet Oz on her television program. Oz is married to a reiki practitioner.

SunnyInFL0408

Re: Reiki Energ Healer
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 09:20:48 AM »
I've actually done some thinking on this subject and after having read the book One Second After can see the benefit to "alternative medicine". Many of us talk about using plants and herbs to cure things when medicine is scarce and that way of thinking is already a movement to the alternative medicine route.

Now like anything new I'm sure there are skeptics and we have been so conditioned to take a pill ease the pain that a lot would jump on the "that doesn't work it's only hocus pocus" band wagon. I can speak from experience on this topic, energy work is very draining and yet so beneficial to the receiver when they are open to it. For decades some for form of energy work has been used by those who practice medicine. "Positive thinking" is a way of drawing the universes energy and focusing (pushing) it to do good. I for one am open to the alternative and would consider someone who has studied it and is a practitioner a valuable asset to a community that is being rebuilt!

Here's food for thought...Many moons ago there was always the "healer" in the woods who lived away from the town who people whispered and had respect/fear of were they not the original survivalist? They mostly self sufficient and bartered there skills for the items they needed. (Hey and they always grew to be old! So they did something right!)  ;)

What do you guys think?

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
Re: Reiki Energ Healer
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 01:12:58 PM »
Well, if Oprah is pushing it, it must be OK!   :-\

Tags:

Social Bookmarks