Currently:
  • What did you do to prepare today? 5 1

Author Topic: What did you do to prepare today?  (Read 224286 times)

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
Re: What did you do to prepare today?
« Reply #3270 on: June 08, 2016, 09:59:15 PM »

Picked up a new back pack. It's going back. Not the right fit for me. Looks like I'll have to head out to REI in Jacksonville to see what they have. I could get lost in that store for days. I added 5 small knives to my collection. I replaced 3 exterior house lights with ones that had a motion sensor in them.

Offline Saints75

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3271 on: June 09, 2016, 05:05:38 PM »
Friends came over, cleared area on the property and built a berm for a target shooting range. Way cool!

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3272 on: June 22, 2016, 09:00:37 PM »
I stopped by the distributor an found a 50# bag of quick rolled oats for $2!!! Someone else beat me to the 25# bag of sugar for the same price :( I also picked up a 40# case of bananas and some great deals on vegetables. I made some packs for quick breakfasts, and set some oats aside to make granola later in the week. The rest was put in storage. Some of the bananas went to make a banana spice cake, muffins, and into the dehydrator. The rest were peeled and frozen for smoothies/baking. The veggies were blanched and frozen.

I picked a part time job through my pet sitter. Pay is not great $7 per visit but this client is very close. Food/water/litter box and read for a bit to keep the kitty company. He won't come out or I'd play with him. Every little bit helps to get supplies and for all the vet bills. 

The results came back for one of my kitties. Large Cell Lymphoma. I will probably be meeting an oncologist next week to discuss treatment options. They're suggesting CHOP protocol. I had to spend time researching before the appointment to make decisions.

Offline Saints75

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3273 on: June 24, 2016, 08:54:14 PM »
Had to put 2 of my Orpington s down this weekend. Split the meat with the neighbor who "did all the work." A good trade off for me!

Offline gophfer

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Full Member
« Reply #3274 on: June 25, 2016, 08:39:55 AM »
Dudley farm state park is having their cane boiling/ syrup making program today. I am going to learn and maybe score some sugar cane cuttings to root.

Offline gophfer

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Full Member
« Reply #3275 on: June 25, 2016, 10:44:24 AM »
That was a disappointment. The Cane Syrup Fun Event seems to be nothing. I'll have to wait for the fall boil off.

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3276 on: July 20, 2016, 11:48:22 AM »
Picked up a deal on Farina. $2.98 for a 25# bag, 6 bags of asparagus (my favorite veggie) 3-4 bunches per bag for $1 a bag and an 11# bag of couscous for $2.98.  Those are some crazy good prices! The farina and couscous is packed up in mylar and the asparagus was blanched and vacuumed sealed. The project I'm most excited about is I built an antenna with someone last week. The electricians just finished putting it up today. I can hit my main repeater about 26 miles away. Next up is to see what it can do on simplex. There's still some fine tuning to do. Face plates for the cable pass through to keep things neat and critters out, the cable is a little shorter than I would like, and I need to do the wiring for the battery back up. I may get some type of case for the battery back up. Other than that maybe hang my license, the band chart, a map etc. I had a guest room I wasn't using so I ran the cable and a new outlet into one of the closets. I can shut the door and still use the room for other things. This completes stage one of communications mobile,HT, and base. Now I need to study for my general license to get to the next level.

Feel free to share your favorite recipes for farina and cornmeal in the recipe thread. Breakfast is great but I'm short on recipes for lunch and dinner using those products for power outages at home or for hiking/camping.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 01:36:08 PM by Floridaclipper »

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3277 on: August 12, 2016, 09:17:26 AM »
My new favorite store had some bulk items on clearance. I picked up 3 50# bags of farina, 15# bag of dehydrated onions, and a 50# bag of harina de maiz. Total cost after my $1 "coupon" was $4 for everything  ;D I think I'm set for breakfast for the rest of my life unless food fatigue sets in.

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3278 on: August 13, 2016, 12:02:36 PM »
Did I miss what that store was named?? Sounds interesting...

Offline Floridaclipper

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3279 on: August 13, 2016, 10:17:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did I miss what that store was named?? Sounds interesting...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'm not sure if I posted about it before. It's a food service distributor called Cheney Brothers. They have a "store" in their warehouse that is open to the public. They will also accept "will call" orders from the public with at least 30 minutes notice. In the store they do have some scratch and dent but most of what is in my location has been in perfect condition and with in expiration date. They have meat, cheese, juice, fresh produce, dry goods, paper products etc. I saw cases of sterno fuel there. The inventory in the store changes daily so planning a shopping trip isn't really going to work well. What they have and what is discounted changes so it's always exciting to see what I can find. They have several locations in the state. If one is not close to you you may want to seek out other distributors such as US Foodservice, Sysco, MBM and see if they may offer a similar service. Another thing Cheney Brothers does is sell their reusable shopping bags. It was .95 but every time you bring it back they give you $1. off your purchase.

Today I found 50# bags of semolina for $1. I may go back for it if I can figure out what to do with it other than make pasta. If I bring that bag with me it's free :). I picked up alot of produce today and a 5# bag if grits for $1. Kalettes were .75 a bag, 2# bags of brussel sprouts were $1 I got 3, Washington apples were $1.25 for a 3# bag some of those are currently in the process of cooking down for apple butter. I'll probably make apple sauce with the other 3 bags or dehydrate some of the rest, bags of spinach were .75. They had mangos for .50 on a prior trip and those are currently in the dehydrator. The house has a wonderful aroma. I may have to make some biscuits in the morning.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:18:56 PM by Floridaclipper »

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3280 on: August 13, 2016, 10:39:31 PM »
Thanks.
We have a CBS store here in Valrico. Same company, but no warehouse. They do have some deals. Guess I will check them again.
Have done a lot with Sysco and US Foodservice in the past. Best service and prices with US Foodservice. IMHO..

Offline Saints75

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3281 on: August 14, 2016, 05:20:26 PM »
Started to gather seeds for the next round of growing. I will focus on kale,lettuce, acorn and zucchini type squash. Wish me luck

Offline rice paddy daddy

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3282 on: August 14, 2016, 11:10:18 PM »
I took my travel trailer out for a short drive today.Last fall My wife found a nice, used, 21 foot travel trailer for me.
It will do double duty - for my retirement travels, plus as an emergency bug out RV. The wife has a horse trailer w/living quarters, but it's cramped.
I had to put 4 new tires on, and while that was happening I had them check the brakes, put in a new 12 volt battery, inspect the wheel bearings and anything else they could think of. And he wired in an aftermarket brake controller.
It stays parked next to the horse trailer and stays provisioned with 5 days of food.
If a hurricane heads for us, or there is a wildfire, we can hook up both trailers to our pickups, load up the dogs and horses and be gone jiffy quick.

Next up - Sept 15th - 19th, Fifth Infantry Division reunion at Fort Benning. It will be a good shakedown cruise for the trailer. Got my RV space reserved, paid all my reunion registration feess.

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3283 on: August 19, 2016, 02:02:14 PM »
Sounds like a sound plan.

I pulled the trigger on a new trigger for my bad rifle.
Installed an ALG, ACT trigger. They seemed to have good reviews..Now I need to get to the range

Offline FLPrepper

• Survivalist Pro
  • Daytona Beach
« Reply #3284 on: August 19, 2016, 05:42:18 PM »
Hey Kodiak,

I thought all your guns had been stolen? Or was that someone else?  ;D

Social Bookmarks