Author Topic: What is the best AK 47 on the market  (Read 4841 times)

Offline TBL

• Survivalist Newbie
What is the best AK 47 on the market
« on: December 28, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »
I am a newbie and a little confused.  I see people talking about good and bad AKs.  I am getting ready to get one.  One is the best one on the market??  What do I look for to get  a "good AK"???
Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Slug-gun Hunter

• Survivalist Pro
Re: What is the best AK 47 on the market
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 06:58:16 PM »
I'm a slow-learner in the AK-47 'verse
despite my owning 2 [I.O.,Inc  USA-made
and Chinese MAK-90].

My perspective is that Russkie and Chinese
 Kalashnikov's were built as Military issue
pieces for mainline battle ops.
 Snag an
unused version and You should be okay
when the Winds-o'-Change are a'blowin.

Offline SwampYankee85

• Orlando outskirts
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Carrying the fire
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:06:18 PM »
Arsenal AKs are the best. Your going to pay more but its worth it. You can  find non arsenal rifles that are good as well. Totally agree with Slug, the russians and the chinese rifles are the better of the bunch but what you gotta realize is most ak rifles you find are built from parts kits so it really depends on who built it. WASR 10 AKs are notorious for being built bad because everyone and there mother was building them at one point and the receivers originally held single stack ten round mags. These were milled out to accept the thirty rounders and most of them were done sloppy.(lots of magazine wiggle) You can still find rifles that were built right, even the WASR rifles but you gotta look at a lot of different things like front sight cant look at the gas block and make sure that's straight and check the spacing on the gas tube. Has the gas piston been welded where it connects to the bolt carrier? Who made the receiver and was it stamped right and trimmed correctly? Is your hammer spring wound correctly? Pins all mushroomed out bad? Theres a lot of stuff to look for that can make a difference in the rifle. Go with a builder with a good rep first like arsenal. If you dont have the funds be prepared for a hunt. Bare minimum never buy one you havent handled.

Offline delta69alpha

• Survivalist Pro
  • Making the PAW prepper safe
    • PAW productions
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 05:57:11 PM »
pre ban-

norinco's (mak 90's etc)
sa-85's( hungarians)
polytechs

post ban-
early SAR1's
krebs
arsenals
vectors
lancasters

i own a vector.
around 5k+ through it and i dont baby it at all.

the arsenal sgl's get a good rep as well. but some parts dont interchange as easily as some with other makes.

Offline MasonPrepper

• Survivalist Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »
Vepper.  The best, hands down if you can afford it.

Offline Slug-gun Hunter

• Survivalist Pro
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »
The ATLANTIC ARMS webpage for
VEPR AK's states that Hi-cap mags
(anythign over 10-rounds) are Not
compatible with the receiver mag-wells.

I don't see how a 10-round magazine
is an advantage in a survival rifle.  :-\

Offline ActiveShooter

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 07:27:59 PM »
Russians still make the best AK recievers. You can't go wrong with a Saiga and converting it!

Offline fla_native

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • More irritating than a turd that wont flush
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:05:48 AM »
Outside of some of the early WASR aks, which if I recall correctly, had issues with oddly shaped mag wells, Ive never seen a "Bad" AK. True, the fit and finish on some are better than others but Ive never seen a STOCK AK of any type fail to function.
AKs do suffer from the infamous "tacticool" syndrome.... all kinds of crap hanging off it, attached to it and just generally looking like a demented christmas tree.
But thats not the AKs fault, heck, some of the worse offenders in that category are almost all handguns, a large number of shotguns and any number of semi-auto rifles.

Offline Sgt. Prepper

• The One and Only Billy Shears
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 06:57:35 PM »
Here's a guy that has one for sale in Orlando. 922r Ready

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline southernbackwoods

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 08:12:19 PM »
Ill add my two cents. While some seem to be better than others I think if you inspect any of them properly and they seem to be a solid weapon you cant go wrong. Ive looked at alot of them lately and some seem better built than others. Try to find one that is put together well and has a smooth action. The most common problem ive seen is the mag well as previously stated. Ive seen some where the magazine wont even fit in the receiver, and some where it wobbles so bad it nearly falls out. Find one that the mag fits snuggly and is inserted and released smoothly. These are just somethings Ive run across but in gerneral Id say the best AK is the one you can afford.

Offline Dog

• Survivalist Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 11:33:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Outside of some of the early WASR aks, which if I recall correctly, had issues with oddly shaped mag wells, Ive never seen a "Bad" AK. True, the fit and finish on some are better than others but Ive never seen a STOCK AK of any type fail to function.
AKs do suffer from the infamous "tacticool" syndrome.... all kinds of crap hanging off it, attached to it and just generally looking like a demented christmas tree.
But thats not the AKs fault, heck, some of the worse offenders in that category are almost all handguns, a large number of shotguns and any number of semi-auto rifles.

What do you mean by converting it. Converting to what.

Offline SwampYankee85

• Orlando outskirts
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Carrying the fire
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 08:17:10 AM »
Basically moving some guts and stuff around so its more like a traditional ak. That way you kind of have a russian ak.

Offline Frank

• Survivalist Sr. Member
  • I'm gonna live till I die.
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 10:00:11 AM »
If you've got the dough, Krebs is the way to go.  I had a chance not all that long ago to shoot one and was very impressed by the work.

The only WASR I've played with was an unbelievably unreliable, poorly constructed POS.  I've read/been told this is no longer the case, but it soured me on the line.

Offline Dog

• Survivalist Full Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 11:42:50 AM »
Yeah, Ive seen a lot of bad reviews on the wasr 10 but some people say that they are fine. They usually seem to be the cheapest and that is what I am looking for. If you pick up a wasr 10 what do you look for and what questions should you ask (if buying online)?

Offline KODIAK

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 01:15:25 PM »
The best one is the one you can reach when you need it...
Kodiak

Tags:

Social Bookmarks