Author Topic: The flares have been pretty frequent the last few days, now this.  (Read 535 times)

Offline BTP

• Green Libertarian
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
6 points away form hitting X class.  Then the problems really start...

IPS FLARE ALERT - PART C
PRELIMINARY FLARE DETAILS AT END OF FLARE
ISSUE TIME: Wed Nov 28 21:55:39 GMT 2012
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Approximate Flare Start : 28-11-2012 2131 UT
Approximate Flare Maximum: 28-11-2012 2135 UT at Flux M 2.2
Approximate Flare End : 28-11-2012 2153 UT

Offline BTP

• Green Libertarian
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
Re: The flares have been pretty frequent the last few days, now this.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 06:29:30 PM »
For context

Astronomers rank solar flares by strength using five categories: A, B, C, M and X. The A-class flares are the weakest sun storms, while the X-class events are the most powerful solar flares.

This ranking system was designed by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and resembles the Richter scale used for earthquakes in that each category is 10 times stronger than the one before it, NASA officials have said. So a B-class solar flare is 10 times stronger than an A-class event, while a C-class solar storm releases 10 times more energy than B-class flare (or 100 times more energy than an A-class event).

The categories are also broken down into subsets, from 1 to 9, to pinpoint a solar flare's strength. Only X-class solar flares have subcategories that go higher than 9. The most powerful solar flare on record occurred in 2003 and was estimated to be an X28 on the solar flare scale, NASA officials said.

Offline ssssnake

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:42:12 PM »
Since I don't remember those flares in 2003, did they have any impact on things?  Just curious.

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 12:12:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Since I don't remember those flares in 2003, did they have any impact on things?  Just curious.

i believe the 2003 flares hit asia pretty good with power outages and stuff... we had glitches in the grid if i recall correctly... memory is fading fading...  :o

Tags:

Social Bookmarks