Author Topic: Russian Attack Sub Patrols the Gulf off Florida's Coast  (Read 3978 times)

Offline nonrev321

• Survivalist Sr. Member
Re: Russian Attack Sub Patrols the Gulf off Florida's Coast
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 11:25:32 PM »
Hi

I agree with Sunspot on this, not a big deal.  When I was working DEW line in 1979 we had over 400 incursions of BEAR bombers into NATO airspace,  They would fly right up to the edge, cross over a bit than dart back.  Of course F-4's would be scrambled and it became kind of a game.  Ditto Sub probings.  I worked at a small SOSUS site in Iceland also and they were always trying to sneek past the Iceland/Faroe Island gap. 

I'm sure we have our subs off the coasts of Russia and China right now.

This was just their way to let us know that they are also off ours.  If they didn't want us to know they would have sliped in and out without notice (which I'm sure they have done many times anyway).  No biggie

Rgds

nonrev

Offline nonrev321

• Survivalist Sr. Member
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 11:27:14 PM »
Now this is something to be concerned about.  A Chinese sub got into the middle of a Fleet battle group undetected.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Rgds

nonrev

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 11:45:48 PM »
nonrev to a certain degree you and shadow are right but you have to remember since the great east west wall came tumbling down the ruskies have been fairly quite... but the last couple of years they are starting to revamp the cold war incursions... a lot has changed since 1979.. no matter how much time has passed tho the things that have been constant in our life times seem to be coming back... something to think about...

i do know for a fact that we as a nation have been sending the new attack ssn's sea wolf class subs into the south china sea to keep check and get signatures on the new chinese attack and boomer class subs exiting the south china sea so seems the cold war is back on...

Offline Hidden Agenda

• Survivalist Sr. Member
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 12:45:32 PM »
We are fools to dismiss the Russians.  They cannot be trusted.

In a speech to the Lenin School for Political Warfare in Moscow in the 1930s, Dimitri Manuilski declared, "War to the hilt between communism and capitalism is inevitable. But today we are too weak to strike. Our day will come in 30-40 years. But first we must lull the capitalist nations to sleep with the greatest overtures of peace and disarmament known throughout history. And then, when their guard is dropped, we will smash them with our clenched fist."

In November 1987, Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev stated in a speech to the Politburo: "Gentlemen, Comrades, do not be concerned about all you hear about glasnost and perestroika and democracy in the coming years. These are primarily for outward consumption. There will be no significant internal change within the Soviet Union, other than for cosmetic purposes. Our purpose is to disarm the Americans and to let them fall asleep."

Soviet Russia's nuclear missile power and Red China's immense manpower have been joined into one clenched fist which forms the heart of the New Axis, which could also be called the Moscow-Beijing Axis. Richard Maybury coined the term New Axis in 1996. It is not limited to Russia and China who signed the Chinese-Russian Friendship Treaty in July 2001 and openly declared their joint strategic interests against the United States, but it also includes many other nations that have entered into a secret alliance against the United States and its NATO allies. Maybury explains in the February 2003 issue of the Early Warning Report that, "the group consists of at least 12 members," among them Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Syria, Lybia, Cuba, etc.

The U.S. government is aware of the existence of the New Axis: On October 10, 2002, Deputy Secretary of Defense, Paul Wolfowitz said, "The thing that came to all of us on the Rumsfeld Commission, the greatest surprise, is to understand just how much these bad actors [New Axis states] were helping one another, and moreover how much help was coming from Russia and China."
    The New Axis has the United States and its allies severely outgunned and out-manned. It is the plan of the New Axis to involve the United States in multiple wars with the smaller Axis members: first in Afghanistan, then Iraq, then possibly Iran and Korea and then possibly also with China over Taiwan. They intend to overextend and deplete our armed forces, then they will strike with a massive Blitzkrieg against the European nations and North America. This will be only the beginning of The Great Chastisement.

Source-  FATIMA: The Impending Great Chastisement Revealed in the Third Secret of Fatima
by Fr. Paul Kramer, B.Ph., S.T.B., M. Div., S.T.L.

The Russians and Chinese have a great long game, and are very astute students of Sun Tzu's "The Art of War".

"All warfare is based on deception."

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 08:16:17 PM »
Now this is something to be concerned about.  A Chinese sub got into the middle of a Fleet battle group undetected.

Rgds

nonrev

Holy crap, nonrev!  We can't detect the Russians, we can't detect the Chinese... I thought we were a superpower.  What the heck?  Can we detect the North Koreans or the Iranians?

Offline OSCPJ

• Survivalist Jr. Member
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 08:55:25 PM »
21 years in military.  Not a sub guy.  Akula is not a boomer and can't fire nukes, other than anti sub torpedoes. It kills other subs.  Not believing it could it make it there without a sub resupply ship. 

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 10:11:39 PM »
21 years in military.  Not a sub guy.  Akula is not a boomer and can't fire nukes, other than anti sub torpedoes. It kills other subs.  Not believing it could it make it there without a sub resupply ship.

Correct me if I am wrong, but being a nuclear sub, couldn't it stay submerged and underway for months at a time if it needed to?  The only supplies that would restrict them is provisions for the crew, and I'm sure they carry enough for a mission of some duration.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 06:18:57 AM by The Expendable »

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 12:03:23 AM »
The Akula dosnt need a tender or resupply ship it's operating range is pertty close to the US LA Class attack subs which are nuke powered and under water operational for up to six months... they would only have to resupply often based on munition expendentures...

The Akula is quite capable of gunning as well as running. Armed with four 533mm and four 650mm torpedo tubes, Akula deploys twice as much ordnance as the Los Angeles class. Loadout consists of twenty SET 53 torpedoes, four SS-N-21 nuclear cruise missiles, four SS-N-15 nuclear torpedoes, and ten ultra-heavyweight SET 65 ASUW torpedoes. Both the SET 53 and SET 65 torpedoes are wireguided and possess active, passive, and wake-homing capabilities. The SET 65 pack a 900kg punch, enough to take out a carrier with one unit.

Significant modifications were made to the original Project 971 Akula design beginning with the fifth unit. Classified as "Akula II", these modifications include a four-meter extension that may accommodate VLS tubes and advanced technology sensors.

LINK:http://www.subsim.com/ssr/akula2.html

Offline OSCPJ

• Survivalist Jr. Member
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 03:15:44 PM »
Yes being a nuke it would only be limited to food stores on board.  That said, the Russians don't have a great history of maintence or training.  Possible yes.  Probable, I don't think so.

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »
Yes being a nuke it would only be limited to food stores on board.  That said, the Russians don't have a great history of maintence or training.  Possible yes.  Probable, I don't think so.

have to agree with you here.. the russians are still useing the old centeralized command and control structer for their military that they used during the cold war.. killing any free thinking officers or noncoms.. of course as in any military you are going to have your free thinkers that are just guiness....

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 05:47:22 PM »
well an interesting thing came out on the russian attack sub patroling in the gulf... found this artical today...

Link:http://spectator.org/archives/2012/09/21/the-silent-threat

The Silent Threat
By PETER HANNAFORD on 9.21.12 @ 6:07AM

The U.S. remains woefully undefended from missile attack. Will JLENS survive sequestration?

Riots over the Middle East and South Asia get everyone's attention, but a clear and present danger to the United States homeland exists that virtually no one is talking about and for which we have no defense: missile attack.
A Russian military officials says the recent covert visit of one of their submarines to the Gulf of Mexico proves that they could, without difficulty, launch a missile high over the U.S. that could trigger the explosion of an Electro-Magnetic Pulse (EMP) bomb that would shut down virtually all electrical and electronic activity in a large swath of the nation. There would be no radiation, no deaths -- "only" economic paralysis and chaos.
Add Iran and North Korea to the list of potential launchers of such a weapon.

Offline Sgt. Prepper

• The One and Only Billy Shears
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 11:06:52 PM »
I can tell you part of the reason the sub got in.  In their (politicians) infinite wisdom, the sea borne sub killer squadrons were decommissioned and done away with in the mid 2000's against the Navy's wishes to save money.  I was in three of those squadrons during parts of my 30 years in the Navy and nothing ever got by us when we were patrolling off of the Carriers.  Now they rely on helos that don't have anywhere near the range or depth needed along with being over tasked with angel missions and supply/ ferry missions or shore based P-3s that can't be there 24/7 (cost, crew rest and numbers) like the S-3B could.

Offline nonrev321

• Survivalist Sr. Member
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 01:27:47 PM »
Hi,

Not sure thats true about the US having no Hunter/killer type attack subs.  According to the Navy web page they have three classes of attack subs.

"Description
Attack submarines are designed to seek and destroy enemy submarines and surface ships; project power ashore with Tomahawk cruise missiles and Special Operation Forces; carry out Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) missions; support battle group operations, and engage in mine warfare.

1.  Los Angles class
2.  Seawolf class
3.  Next generation, being built now.  Virginia Class... "The Navy is now building the next-generation attack submarine, the Virginia (SSN 774) class. The Virginia class is tailored to excel in a wide range of warfighting missions."

Does seem like the subs are multi-role though, but hunter killer is one of the roles.

Note:  How would you know or not if any Enemy subs got by you.  The only ones you know of are the ones you caught, not the ones that might have sneeked by..... If it sneeks by, by definition, you wouldn't know about it....  sneek like this...

"The uninvited guest: Chinese sub pops up in middle of U.S. Navy exercise, leaving military chiefs red-faced"

Rgds

Offline nonrev321

• Survivalist Sr. Member
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 01:38:21 PM »
Ballistic Missile Defense

I just came of from working on this Navy ship,  The SBX-1 (Sea based X-Band Radar). It was designed and developed for the very purpose of detecting and tracking Ballistic Missiles in mid flight during the accent stage.

It was active for approx 7 years.  It just went modified ROS (Reserve Operating Status) about 10 days ago.  I can't say much about the tests or the results but I will say they are priortizing and exploring different avenues for detecting misslies fired at the US from shorter ranges. 

I will also say that I wouldn't trust Boeing to organize my daughters birthday party without screwing it up!  They would form countless committies and have endless daily meetings and catchy slogans and programs on every aspect of the design, operation and function of wearing of birthday hats but than overlook send out the inventations... ha!

Rgds

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 04:26:44 PM »
hey nonrev i agree with you that the navy does have attack killer subs and they are developing the newer gen class sub but what prepper is talking about is the disappearance of the SA-3 type sub killers aircraft carrier based.. they are relying on the land based airborne asw assets more instead of the carrier based asw equipment...  which in essence should have picked up the sub in the gulf but missed it.. because we have no navel surface groups anywhere near our coasts just coast guard and i don't believe they are equipted to deal with subs....

the Russian who ever said they could have easily launched a missile from that position was on the mark we have nothing in place to deter a sub that close to our shores launching a missile

Tags:

Social Bookmarks