Author Topic: Russian Attack Sub Patrols the Gulf off Florida's Coast  (Read 3976 times)

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
Russian Attack Sub Patrols the Gulf off Florida's Coast
« on: August 18, 2012, 10:37:21 AM »
Within the last few months there have been at least three incursions into American space by Russian planes and subs, some with nuclear capabilities.  What are they up to?  My opinion is that they are testing our readiness and detection capabilities.  I'm sure the Russian's friends, the Iranians, are very interested in the results of this test.  And I'm sure their friends, the North Koreans, are equally interested.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Russian attack submarine slipped past US Navy and patrolled Gulf of Mexico for weeks undetected
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 10:54 EST, 15 August 2012 | UPDATED: 15:10 EST, 15 August 2012

A Russian attack submarine slipped into the Gulf of Mexico undetected and sailed through US strategic waters for weeks without the US Navy noticing, it was reported on Wednesday.

The US military didn't even know about the presence of the Akula-class nuclear submarine earlier this year until after it had already left the gulf, still carrying a payload of long-range missiles.

The revelation is part of a startling trend of Russian incursions as the former Cold War foe ramps up its military might under the leadership of President Vladimir Putin.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Stealthy: The Akula-class vessel is built to slip into an area undetected and destroy
American ballistic missile submarines

The Washington Free Beacon, a conservative news site, quoted anonymous military sources as saying the sub was in the gulf for a month.

The exact time frame of the vessel's presence was not clear.

'The Akula was built for one reason and one reason only: To kill US Navy ballistic missile submarines and their crews,' a source told the Beacon.

The US Navy's Atlantic submarine fleet is based at Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay on the coast of southern Georgia.

Akula-class subs are designed to run fast and quietly. They are equipped with torpedoes, mines and cruise missiles.

Russia has a fleet of nine of the vessels, which are 360 feet long and are powered by a pressurized water nuclear reactor.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Holes: The Russian sub was not far from the US Navy's Atlantic fleet based at
Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay

The last time a Russian sub was spotted this close to the US was in 2009, when a pair of the subs were discovered patrolling off the east coast.

'Sending a nuclear-propelled submarine into the Gulf of Mexico-Caribbean region is another manifestation of President Putin demonstrating that Russia is still a player on the world’s political-military stage,' Norman Polmar, a naval intelligence consultant, told the Beacon.

In June, a fleet of Russian strategic nuclear bombers conducted a training operation in the Arctic without notifying the American military.

Then, in July, a Bear H strategic bomber, capable of carrying cruise missiles, entered American airspace near California. US Air Force fighter jets had to be scrambled to meet the plane and turn it back.

'It’s a confounding situation arising from a lack of leadership in our dealings with Moscow. While the president is touting our supposed "reset" in relations with Russia, Vladimir Putin is actively working against American interests, whether it’s in Syria or here in our own backyard,' Republican Sen John Cornyn told the Beacon.

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
Re: Russian Attack Sub Patrols the Gulf off Florida's Coast
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 11:08:16 AM »
I just read another article (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) that suggested this entire story was fabricated in an attempt to get more funding.  The article also noted that the Russians did nothing wrong by patrolling in the international waters of the Gulf.

It seems to me that if the Russians did nothing wrong by patrolling the Gulf, then the story was not made up.  I mean, either the sub was there or it wasn't, right?  And to me, the issue is not whether or not the Russians did anything wrong... they didn't.  The issue is whether they can slip so close to our shores undetected.  If the story is true, then the Russians should be thanked for bringing this deficiency to our attention.

Offline siege571

• Pasty-white Scot-Irish girl
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Ready for the Zombie Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 11:27:52 AM »
I just read another article (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) that suggested this entire story was fabricated in an attempt to get more funding.  The article also noted that the Russians did nothing wrong by patrolling in the international waters of the Gulf.

It seems to me that if the Russians did nothing wrong by patrolling the Gulf, then the story was not made up.  I mean, either the sub was there or it wasn't, right?  And to me, the issue is not whether or not the Russians did anything wrong... they didn't.  The issue is whether they can slip so close to our shores undetected.  If the story is true, then the Russians should be thanked for bringing this deficiency to our attention.

Yarp. Good story.

Offline wingryder

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »
Great Post!  Thanks Ex.  My fear is that if the Russians can slip into the gulf, then so can the Iranians.  The threat of an EMP detonation from a missile fired from the gulf IS a real threat.  I have no idea what our missile defense capabilities are in the gulf region, but I hope they are strong.

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 10:51:34 PM »
Wing, a missile fired from a sub just off New Orleans would be over American soil within a minute.  It would reach middle America within ten minutes.  I don't know if we even have anti-missile batteries positioned in that area of the country.  I don't know if we have them anywhere along the Gulf coast.  If we do, I don't know if they are automatically fired when an incoming missile is detected, or do they need human authorization to launch.  What is our reaction time?  I have no idea, but I agree with your statement about an EMP attack from the Gulf.  It is a real possibility.

Offline wingryder

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 11:08:03 PM »
My point exactly.  I am not sure if they keep Patriot missiles at the ready along the gulf nor how rapid the chain of command response would be.  But such a thing would cripple the civil command, control and communication structure and leave our population in the dark...  So yea, I think an undetected sub in the gulf is a "big deal".

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 01:53:05 AM »
EX your right we dont have ABM's staged aorund the gulf coast maybe in Ca and around the dc area... One thing about this sub it was detected while egressing the gulf region and standard mission protocall for Ballistics is one leaves when you get relived from duty station... the Russians have again started the cold war stuff with the TU-95 bears that were intercepted in US airspace in Alaska and now this ballistic sub... 

Talked to a friend of mine at work who was ASW in the Navy and he said pretty interesting they would put a Ballistic sub there because when you prob a countries defiance capabilities you send in an attack type sub... fast in and out if you have to... A ballistic is sit and wait for the command....  period.... no screwing around with that class of sub... 

Offline Sunspot

• Survivalist Sr. Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 07:29:50 AM »
Well, the only defense the U.S. has is somewhat obscure and its against ballastic, long range.  Patriots are not normally in position waiting for incoming.  I'm not sure why Kings Bay was even mentioned here...Kings Bay and its operating area is North of Jacksonville down to the Cape Canaveral area.  The Gulf of Mexico is a different operating area with different defenses assigned.

To me, this is not big news...they've been doing this for years.

Offline Capt Nat

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Apollo Beach Tampa Bay
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 10:34:54 AM »
I'm going out in the Gulf and play hip hop music very loud until they are driven out of the area.   I just haven't figured out how to outlast them.   On a serious note,  I think that probes are serious, but if Russia decides to attack us, there is no way we can fend of the attack without taking serious hits!   We can fight back, we can win, but that wont be much consolation to the people in the cities that get nuked.   It would put all of us back into the dark ages...

Offline FLPrepper

• Survivalist Pro
  • Daytona Beach
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »
Don't forget, this is a nuclear attack sub they are talking about, not a missile boat. It may have nuclear cruise missile, they would not be able to get to an altitude that would create a continental EMP strike. A low level, localized EMP, yes. Now the idea of an Iranian boomer is a much more credible threat, but I would doubt that they have any boomers as all of the Russian missile boats are accounted for. And I haven't heard of any Chinese boats being handed over to anyone else, not even the North Koreans.

FLPrepper

Offline The Expendable

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Bread and Circuses
    • The Expendable
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »
I didn't think the Akula class subs had long-range nukes on board, at least not according to the article.  The Akula subs are designed as stealthy sub killers, right?  This would not be the weapon of choice if the Russians wanted to launch an EMP attack against the US, would it?  Like FLPrepper said, this is a nuclear attack sub, meaning it is powered by nuclear energy, not that it contains any nuclear weapons.

I still think this was a test of our detection capabilities.  The only question I have is how did this story ever come to light?  I mean, if we didn't detect the sub while it was patrolling the Gulf, how do we know it was there in the first place?

Offline siege571

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 08:05:04 AM »
Well, the only defense the U.S. has is somewhat obscure and its against ballastic, long range.  Patriots are not normally in position waiting for incoming.  I'm not sure why Kings Bay was even mentioned here...Kings Bay and its operating area is North of Jacksonville down to the Cape Canaveral area.  The Gulf of Mexico is a different operating area with different defenses assigned.

To me, this is not big news...they've been doing this for years.

SS--why didn't you stop them when you had the chance!?  :P

You need to build that little sub and go for a ride  ^-^

Offline siege571

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 08:06:28 AM »
I'm going out in the Gulf and play hip hop music very loud until they are driven out of the area.   I just haven't figured out how to outlast them.   On a serious note,  I think that probes are serious, but if Russia decides to attack us, there is no way we can fend of the attack without taking serious hits!   We can fight back, we can win, but that wont be much consolation to the people in the cities that get nuked.   It would put all of us back into the dark ages...

Really awesome headphones and lots of valium?

Offline Bumbury

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 11:54:40 AM »

ORIGINAL STORY LINK:

****UPDATE****

AlertsUSA Threat Journal - Russian Submarine in the Gulf of Mexico? - August 20, 2012

Russian Submarine in the
Gulf of Mexico? Senator Demands Explanation from Pentagon
August 19, 2012
According to the original report by longtime military correspondent Bill Gertz:

"A Russian nuclear-powered attack submarine armed with long-range cruise missiles operated undetected in the Gulf of Mexico for several weeks and its travel in strategic U.S. waters was only confirmed after it left the region, the Washington Free Beacon has learned.

It is only the second time since 2009 that a Russian attack submarine has patrolled so close to U.S. shores.

The stealth underwater incursion in the Gulf took place at the same time Russian strategic bombers made incursions into restricted U.S. airspace near Alaska and California in June and July, and highlights a growing military assertiveness by Moscow."

While the MSM has almost completely ignored the story, Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) sent a letter to Navy officials at the Pentagon officials demanding answers. The full text of the letter is as follows:

Dear Admiral Greenert:

According to press reports, a Russian nuclear-powered attack submarine recently traveled undetected in the Gulf of Mexico on a month-long patrol. This submarine activity reportedly occurred in June and July, simultaneously with incursions by Russian strategic bombers into restricted U.S. airspace.

If these reports are accurate, the repercussions are serious. It is my understanding that an Akula-class submarine can be armed with an array of weapons, including torpedoes and long-range cruise missiles, capable of destroying both U.S. nuclear submarines and aircraft carriers.

The submarine patrol, taken together with the air incursions, seems to represent a more aggressive and destabilizing Russian military stance that could pose risks to our national security. This is especially troubling given the drastic defense cuts sought by President Obama, which include reductions in funding for antisubmarine defense systems.

In light of the gravity of this situation, I request a detailed explanation of the facts surrounding these reports. Thank you for your faithful service to our nation, your dedication to our Armed Forces, and your commitment to ensuring the welfare of our men and women in uniform and their families.

LINK TO VIDEO

Offline TheShadow

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 12:31:27 PM »
Good question, did not detect yet know we say it happened. Something on the lighter side of thisa ge old game of probing.

Tags:

Social Bookmarks