Author Topic: Recently Obtained a Remington 700 with a 20" bbl 308 cal (Learning about)  (Read 3249 times)

Sentry

All comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$

Offline -> Bear

• They got us surrounded, those poor souls ;)
  • Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • Fed coats are coming! The fed coats are coming!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
All comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$
  Aint that the truth!

Offline nomad57

• Survivalist Newbie
All Remingtons .308 rifles are short actions as far as I know unlike Winchester and some others.  Many new 700s now come with adjustable triggers.  The .308 fires most rounds at over two times the speed of sound closer to three which is 1080 FPS at sea level so it is a little harder to silence since the bullet breaks the sound barrier and can creat a crack on its own.  Work on the scope first and the removable mag much later.  Bass Pro and many other stores carry Leupold bases the one piece is better I think.  You can remove your scope and return it to near zero with ease.  I have been using them for fourty years and have no problems.  You can easely spend more on a scope then you do on a rifle but to start out get a good scope a a reasonal price.  Academy Sports in Pensacola has all there scopes mounted on faux rifles and something like that will let you know what feels good for you.  Just a suggestion but stay with a 1" and maybe a 40 MM objective to gather light.  A 3 x 9 is the most common scope on the market now and there are dozens to chose from.  I have $1000 scopes and $100 dollar scopes and for general use try something simple, remember (KISS) Keep It Simple Stupid.  The more bells and wistles the more chances of screwing things up.  I was at Academy Sports and tried out several last week and was supprised that the one I liked best was a Banner, a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 6-18x50 Riflescope.  I'm going to order one for my 17 HMR.  I have a couple CenterPoints from Wally World and love them.  At about $69 dollars they are pretty darn good scopes.  Good luck and I hope I might have helped a little.

Offline FLPrepper

• Survivalist Pro
  • Daytona Beach
The .308 fires most rounds at over two times the speed of sound closer to three which is 1080 FPS at sea level so it is a little harder to silence since the bullet breaks the sound barrier and can creat a crack on its own. 

While it is true that the bullet will still make a sonic crack, the biggest advantages of a suppressor on a supersonic cartridge are the elimination of muzzle flash, reduction or elimination of debris stirred up, reduction or elimination of gas expansion (the major bang of the round going off), and reduction or elimination of recoil. Even the supersonic crack of the round passing a listener will sound like it is coming from a direction of 90 degrees from the bullets line of travel, due to the listener hearing the sonic boom from whichever side the bullet passes them on. This is why the military spent so much money having Barrett develop a suppressor for their .50 BMG rifles.

FLPrepper

Offline Chris Burchfield

• Survivalist Pro
Banner, a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 6-18x50 Riflescope is what I put on my 700 w/28" 1 in 12 barrel.  .223 cal.  Bought it a week before Christmas, have not been out to the farm to shoot it yet.  Bass Pro mounted the scope set for 100 yards. 

Sentry

Yeah, I figured I wanted to get it to the point of being able to shoot accurately first...

I do want the 6 inch bi pod, and is the cheapest thing I can get first.. This will help with aligning rifle itself... Then the butt stock check rest,  then Ill probably pick up scope wally world had for like 249, it was a luepold...

I also wanted to say, you guys helped out quite a bit, thank you.. Just waiting on money to balance out as of late...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:59:34 AM by Sentry »

Sentry

Re: Talk to me about Rifle Scopes
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2013, 02:09:33 PM »
Sentry  my first post to your question I mistakenly read that you were looking for Ammo. After rereading I realized you are looking for a rifle scope.  I'm a Nikon person having the Nikon Buckmaster BDC on my 308 and  a similar model on my AR15. Both are good in low light situations. The BDC (Bullet Drop Center) compensates for bullet drop I believe out to 600 yards. Just zero in at 100 yards and align the circles for other yardages. A good source is Digital Oasis . They are on- line and located in Florida. When I purchased my Buckmaster scope they beat all other prices. Watch out for copies (knock-offs) on scopes.

Are you able to take a pic of your reticle... Just so happens I found this exact scope on ebay for what seems to be a decent price.

Sentry

Thinking I am going with this base/ mount

Its for the Remington 700 and is a medium height.

Sentry

Oh yea, forgot to mention... Since this is an informational thread as well.

There are a few things when it comes to bases/ mounts.

There are a couple heights in mounts

Low - For scopes with upto 32mm lenses
Medium - For scopes with upto 42mm lenses
High - For scopes with 40-56mm lenses

This comes from this article: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sentry

I did recently purchase a scope off of eBay.

Nikon 3-9x40 riflescope

Specifications:
    Finish: Matte black
    Reticle: Bullet drop compensating (BDC)
    Actual magnification: 3x to 9x
    Objective diameter: 40mm
    Exit pupil: 4.4mm
    Eye relief: 3.6 inches
    Field of view: 33.8 to 11.3 feet @ 100 yards
    Tube diameter: 1 inch
    Objective outside diameter: 1.86 inches/47.3mm
    Eyepiece outside diameter: 1.55 inches/39.3mm
    Adjustment graduation (1 click): 1/4 MOA
    Max internal adjustment: 80 MOA
    Parallax setting: 100 yards
    Length: 12.3 inches
    Weight: 13.7 ounces

High-quality yet affordable riflescope with 3x to 9x magnification and 40mm objective diameterBullet drop compensating (BDC) reticle provides quick, simple aiming points for various distances

Multicoated optics deliver up to 90 percent light transmission; 100 percent waterproof and fogproof

Repeatable 1/4 MOA reticle adjustments; 33.8- to 11.3-foot field of view at 100 yards

Sentry

Crap! I think I just bought a scope for a 22 cal... This is a Prostaff Scope... Grrrrr

Dunno for sure, have to wait and see.. Might be a Buckmaster Scope as apposed to a Prostaff
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:35:08 PM by Sentry »

Sentry

Nikon Reticles

Sentry

Re: Recently Obtained a Remington 700 with a 20" bbl 308 cal (Learning about)
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2014, 03:35:41 PM »
bump

forgot about this

Offline bohica762

• Survivalist Jr. Member
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2014, 05:57:56 PM »
My only advice would of course come too late. Don't go cheap on rifle glass. If the axiom that the chain is only as strong as the weakest link is true, then putting a cheap scope on your rifle would be a bad thing. It lowers the performance quality to the whole system. Nikons aren't bad scopes, but the Leupold is ten times better, IMHO. Good luck, and let us know how it shoots!

Offline fla_native

• Political Prepper
  • Survivalist Pro
  • More irritating than a turd that wont flush
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2014, 07:23:21 PM »

You only live once!

Tags:

Social Bookmarks